Automotive

Will Ontario ban gas vehicles in next few years?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2018 2:30 pm
[OP]
Dec 29, 2012
829 posts
259 upvotes
Scarborough

Will Ontario ban gas vehicles in next few years?

How green will Ontario go? If I buy a car and plan to keep it 10+ years, is there a chance that Ontario will force us within the next 10 years to have hybrids or EVs? I live in an apartment and have nowhere to charge an EV or hybrid anyway, unless they set up charging stations (takes a few hours) as many as there are gas stations. I would not buy an EV in case of power outage e.g. in icestorm, but what cars are real hybrids (that is, I can use gas today and decide to be electrically powered the next day)?

Asking this, because in the GTA, seems like the plan is to keep us car drivers out of the cbd as much as possible and this would expand further out (based on traffic volumes, emission, etc). Also don't want to end up with a defunct vehicle.
64 replies
Feb 16, 2013
856 posts
773 upvotes
Toronto
I doubt it.
It will be gradual.
There will probably be a grandfather clause.
Once you are registered as long as car passes emissions, should be fine.

Also, 4 years from election to election, green energy may be a thorny issue, so it's not even guaranteed that they will ban infernal combustion engines.

I'm definitely going electric for my next car just for cost of ownership.
Apr 3, 2006
706 posts
156 upvotes
Not a chance. You have nothing to worry about.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6171 posts
2449 upvotes
Alberta
Can’t see that happening anytime soon in the next decade. Maybe they should ban diesel vehicles for personal use.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17794 posts
2433 upvotes
Langley
If they ban them, they'll stop new ICE sales and let the ones on the road keep going. And even that's at least 10-20 years out anyway.

What might be a consideration is resale.... If EV prices keep dropping, that will tank the value of ICE cars. Why spend $400 a month on gas for a used ICE when you can lease or buy, and charge a new EV for a similar cost?
Nov 16, 2011
983 posts
651 upvotes
HAMILTON
It is hard enough to find gas stations in the north so how are you going to find a charging station for a low mileage EV.

Can't see it happening.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3227 posts
773 upvotes
Oshawa
Banning gas cars is just like telling Justin not to legalize pot. Not a chance that its gonna happen.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3662 posts
613 upvotes
Mississauga
That'll be the day the party in power wants to not get re-elected in a flashy style :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2409 posts
854 upvotes
IMHO Canada will be at best in the middle of getting rid of fossil fuel powered stuff. The population density is just too low.

The vast majority of the population will have no problem, because they live in cities. But charging infrastructure really needs volume. I mean, do the trans Canada highway, no problem. But people with cottages?

Not saying not doable, not at all. But vs countries with much higher population density, liquid fuel makes a lot more sense.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28775 posts
14580 upvotes
Ottawa
I just choked...I'm out now.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
2815 posts
1527 upvotes
Ontario
luckystrike1 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 1:11 pm
It is hard enough to find gas stations in the north so how are you going to find a charging station for a low mileage EV.

Can't see it happening.
On the wall of your garage and by then range will be much greater.
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15924 posts
6110 upvotes
What will happen within the next ten years is, in my opinion, likely to be:
a) Higher taxes on fuel (potentially from different types: carbon tax, etc.)
b) Lower cost hybrid vehicles (combination of subsidies and lower price to produce due to quantity)

As a long shot I suspect some major cities will toss around the idea of congestion charges during business hours. It's already happening in major cities around the world so nothing new - just new to us.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5316 posts
872 upvotes
Most major manufacturers aren't forecasting to have all EV lineups until the 2030s.

Most likely the government will try to align with that kind of schedule and phase it in around then. Can't imagine they will retroactively ban gas cars at that point, just let them cease to exist slowly through attrition.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2005
4924 posts
2264 upvotes
Toronto
I heard Kathleen Wynne is planning to ban ICE cars in the next couple of months and use all the engines to power the scrapped gas plant.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24478 posts
9404 upvotes
Toronto
I don’t believe in one second Ontario government (whoever it is) is going to kill off thousands of manuf jobs in this sector .