Computers & Electronics

Will Price Drops Continue on LCD/PLASMA/LED TV's?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2010 3:42 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
1794 posts
205 upvotes
NeverNeverLand

Will Price Drops Continue on LCD/PLASMA/LED TV's?

Everyone said during the summer that TV prices will be dropping by X'mas. Do you think the prices will keep dropping?

Should I pull the trigger now?
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
7387 posts
3683 upvotes
GTA
Not sure if it'll still drop, but pretty sure it won't hike up!
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11337 posts
5531 upvotes
Vaughan
With electronics and computers, prices are always drop as new products introduced. Plasma, LCD, LED, 3D TVs will continue to drop as stores try to clear them out for the new year selections. If you see something you like within your budget, I suggest to pull the trigger now. Most major electronic stores have price protection policy. This also helps avoiding bigger crowd/line up for boxing day sales.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
The price of your TV will start to drop right after you buy it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
The price of your TV will start to drop right after you buy it...the price will continue to drop until it breaks.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5862 posts
268 upvotes
Prices will continue to drop until they practically give it away. Was that the answer you were looking for?

Get the set that fits your budget and enjoy.
signature edited for rule violations
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4899 posts
100 upvotes
Local
They are pretty low already. No name brand 46" lcd can be had for $600. It might get a bit lower, but the current expensive ones will just have new features such as LED backlighting 120/240hz etc..
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
The conveyor belt of consumer goods moves 24/7 so that means the prices get lower until sold as new goodies enter the market. If the market slows because of bad economic times... the prices get lower until the goods start to move. At one point the cost to manufacture the goods will be more than the $ the market pays.... then the factory stops making the goods or cuts it's own costs, but we're a a long way from that... Chinese workers are willing to work for a lot less than anyone here. Be prepared for sub $100 monitors, and sub $500 large panels.

When they start paying you to own one... is when you should get suspicious.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6433 posts
1239 upvotes
Canada
Some analysts predict deep discounts over Christmas.

Even lower (not by a lot) than Black Friday sales in US.

It's because the TV demand picked up early 2010 so companies pumped out a lot more supply.
However mid year, people stopped buying.
There is a big glut of supply and companies want to dump it before new year.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20459 upvotes
Smaller sets and mature technology (plasma, CCFL lit LCD) probably has very little room to drop. 32 inch LCD tv sell for between $300-400. How much further can prices drop for stuff like this, another $50 maybe? I am certain that bigger sets (larger than 52 inch) and LED lit LCD tvs will drop in price a lot in the near future. The writing is on the wall, CCFL lit LCD is on the way out to be replaced exclusively with LED lit. The price premium you see for LED lit will vanish once their sale volume increase.
Mar 3, 2008
459 posts
53 upvotes
will888 wrote: The price premium you see for LED lit will vanish once their sale volume increase.

In regards to this, will manufacturers stop using crappy edge-lit LEDS and instead switch to local dimming-lit LEDS? I find it pathetic that the reviews I've read online for 2010 model LEDs rank Vizio brand at the top because they have local dimming LEDs whereas brands like Sony use crappy edge-lighting.

Is that trend going to continue, or will the major brands smarten up with the 2011 models?
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
angryconsumer wrote: In regards to this, will manufacturers stop using crappy edge-lit LEDS and instead switch to local dimming-lit LEDS? I find it pathetic that the reviews I've read online for 2010 model LEDs rank Vizio brand at the top because they have local dimming LEDs whereas brands like Sony use crappy edge-lighting.

Is that trend going to continue, or will the major brands smarten up with the 2011 models?
The higher technology local dimming models will always be more expensive, maybe not by much.. but they have more electronics and the panel has way more connectors to facilitate the local dimming feature....There is also two different types of local dimming LED back lites (tri-LED and whitel LED) as time passes and technology improves, the back lite will eventually become fine tuned to the point of being the actually display. But in the meantime... Joe consumer knows nothing other than geez that panel is super thin, I want that one.. never looking at the real picture, only considering price, not performance. Walmarts and Kmarts know this and will welcome stylish thin edge lite... But sooner or later, the 'pop' of the better picture will be worth the difference in $.. right now the difference is huge and we're in an economical situation... so the cheaper CFC's will reign for a few more years and edge lite LED will be the buzz for now.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20459 upvotes
In the era of the flat panel tv, it looks to be a sellers market. Every year, there seems to be something new on the horizon to keep the buyers standing at the check out.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)