Travel

Will an unopened carbonated drink can/bott explode the plane if it's checked baggage?

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2008 10:27 am
Tags:
None
Oct 23, 2007
236 posts
6 upvotes
Clarington

Will an unopened carbonated drink can/bott explode the plane if it's checked baggage?

I am going to Cuba next week. I'm a Pepsi addict and heard they don't have very good pop down there. No coke or pepsi. I was thinking of bringing a six pack of pepsi bottles down in my checked baggage.

Will they explode? I searched google and it looks like half say it will and the other half say the bottles will be fine.

Any thoughts?
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
6614 posts
223 upvotes
really not sure of your answer but Tropi-cola is pretty watered down, your right on that.

Bring some Heinz ketchup since the ketchup in cuba isn't too good.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6528 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
I believe it depends on if the cargo hold is heated and pressurized. If it is, you're fine, if it's not, you're going to have a mess.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly certain the majority of aircraft now have heated and pressurized holds...
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Apr 20, 2008
7 posts
toronto
i dont think they would explode. i brought over some pop from japan in my checked baggage and they were fine.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2004
2807 posts
21 upvotes
Really!? You can't go on vacation for a week without being worried about bringing your regular pop to drink!? :confused:
Oct 22, 2007
611 posts
71 upvotes
Vheissu wrote:
May 12th, 2008 2:17 pm
i dont think they would explode. i brought over some pop from japan in my checked baggage and they were fine.
Me too! Just double ziplock the pop just in case.
cc
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2005
1037 posts
2 upvotes
Pickering
I've brought back cans of beers as souvenirs for friends in my packed luggage, and they were fine. Like the above poster said though, you should probably put it in a Ziplock to be safe.

But if you're in Cuba, aren't you staying at an all-inclusive? In which case - don't waste precious stomach space on pop!
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
42 upvotes
I usually stuff my 2nd suitcase full of Cherry Coke when I go to the states. Works justs fine.

They don't let you check a 2nd bag anymore though :( .
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
61 upvotes
It'll be fine.
pitz wrote:
May 12th, 2008 8:52 pm
sure they do, you just have to lighten your wallet by $25 :razz:
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
Explode the plane? If it can, the terrorist groups would not need to go through all the trouble to blow up a plane. ;)
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
[OP]
Oct 23, 2007
236 posts
6 upvotes
Clarington
almostfreeman wrote:
May 12th, 2008 4:12 pm
Really!? You can't go on vacation for a week without being worried about bringing your regular pop to drink!? :confused:
I know it's pathetic. Pepsi is my coffee or tea. I don't drink either. I guess it just my caffeine boost every day around lunch that's all. Sad eh? Only drink one a day.
[OP]
Oct 23, 2007
236 posts
6 upvotes
Clarington
OceanDrop wrote:
May 12th, 2008 8:23 pm
I've brought back cans of beers as souvenirs for friends in my packed luggage, and they were fine. Like the above poster said though, you should probably put it in a Ziplock to be safe.

But if you're in Cuba, aren't you staying at an all-inclusive? In which case - don't waste precious stomach space on pop!
You're right about wasting space on pop. But I have lots of space for everything. And maybe the pepsi can be used as mix!
May 2, 2003
551 posts
3 upvotes
I believe the cargo hold is pressurized like the cabin to around 8000'

This is about similar to crossing the rocks by car. It'll stress your cans/bottles a bit but they should be fine.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24552 posts
2328 upvotes
Ottawa
crashcourse wrote:
May 12th, 2008 8:01 pm
Me too! Just double ziplock the pop just in case.
If the can explodes, you think the plastic will hold?
pitz wrote:
May 12th, 2008 8:52 pm
I usually stuff my 2nd suitcase full of Cherry Coke when I go to the states. Works justs fine.

40 pounds of cherry coke... :lol:
TheCheez wrote:
May 13th, 2008 8:49 am
I believe the cargo hold is pressurized like the cabin to around 8000'

This is about similar to crossing the rocks by car. It'll stress your cans/bottles a bit but they should be fine.
The hold is pressurized to 5000ft and heated. It is where they keep Binky the Wonderdog when he travels. So, if the pop blows up from rapid decompression, can you imagine how dear old ....oh, never mind :)

And, it is no where near like driving over the Rockies, you barely get to 5000 feet when you drive, the aircraft is at around 30,000.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2007
1072 posts
7 upvotes
Markham
Pete_Coach wrote:
May 13th, 2008 1:31 pm
The hold is pressurized to 5000ft ...

And, it is no where near like driving over the Rockies, you barely get to 5000 feet when you drive...
According to your own post, it is EXACTLY like driving over the rockies...

However, if there are no animals in the hold, it is at the pilot's discretion to turn the cargo hold heat off, which in theory could freeze your cola and make a big mess in your suitcase. Not likely to happen.
× < >