Computers & Electronics

Will upgrading to a faster cable internet package actually be faster during peak hours?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 10:26 am
[OP]
Jun 11, 2015
32 posts
21 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Will upgrading to a faster cable internet package actually be faster during peak hours?

Hey everyone,

My ISP Surf (a reseller of Shaw) is currently offering the their Internet 75 package for $40, which is usually the going rate for the 30 package. I currently have the 15 package, and if there are no slowdowns, I have no trouble streaming 1080p. However, perhaps during peak hours, it can slow to a crawl.
Currently (Sunday morning), it's back up to 7.5 mbps, but earlier on it was hovering around 1~2 mbps. Occasionally, I'll have trouble even streaming 240p videos.

If I were to upgrade to the 75 mbps package, would the slowest speeds during peak hours still be faster than what I'm currently experiencing, or would it still be as slow?

Thanks!
11 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17014 posts
3870 upvotes
Toronto
Peak periods are often worse, but how much worse often depends on the provider. For example, on the McNicoll POI in Toronto, Rogers Cable was often slowish in peak periods, but TekSavvy cable (which uses the Rogers infrastructure) would slow down to near unusable speeds.

IOW, for cable you won't unless there is someone you know in your neighbourhood who already subscribes to that reseller.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
8673 posts
1564 upvotes
Winnipeg
maybe apps too get throttled if their competing with isp's invested equivalent.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30579 posts
5065 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Komorebi wrote:
Dec 10th, 2017 1:43 pm
If I were to upgrade to the 75 mbps package, would the slowest speeds during peak hours still be faster than what I'm currently experiencing, or would it still be as slow?
I would say it will still be faster.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19238 posts
4338 upvotes
Thornhill
It should be faster, but advertised 'up to' web speed is just that, you can get up to that speed, will you always? No.
[OP]
Jun 11, 2015
32 posts
21 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I realize that I may rarely actually get 75 mbps (if ever), but I'd like to think it would still be faster overall. Was a bit wary of paying extra if it wouldn't actually help matters, but it's fortunately only $10 a month extra.
Recently I've been having deja vu... feels like the good ol' dialup days!
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8523 upvotes
GTHA
lead wrote:
Dec 10th, 2017 2:11 pm
maybe apps too get throttled if their competing with isp's invested equivalent.
This would violate current "net neutrality" policy

Net neutrality is the concept that all traffic on the Internet should be given equal treatment by Internet providers with little to no manipulation, interference, prioritization, discrimination or preference given.

from https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/internet/diff.htm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
8673 posts
1564 upvotes
Winnipeg
tk1000 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2017 7:49 pm
This would violate current "net neutrality" policy

Net neutrality is the concept that all traffic on the Internet should be given equal treatment by Internet providers with little to no manipulation, interference, prioritization, discrimination or preference given.

from https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/internet/diff.htm
don't you remember this

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... ine-video/
Last edited by lead on Dec 10th, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
13444 posts
2039 upvotes
Toronto
Komorebi wrote:
Dec 10th, 2017 1:43 pm
Hey everyone,

My ISP Surf (a reseller of Shaw) is currently offering the their Internet 75 package for $40, which is usually the going rate for the 30 package. I currently have the 15 package, and if there are no slowdowns, I have no trouble streaming 1080p. However, perhaps during peak hours, it can slow to a crawl.
Currently (Sunday morning), it's back up to 7.5 mbps, but earlier on it was hovering around 1~2 mbps. Occasionally, I'll have trouble even streaming 240p videos.

Thanks!
How are you testing the speed? Are you using CAT6 cable connected to a PC or via wifi? I would check to make sure that you have your router configured correctly and are using 5 Ghz. In my experience, I find that at peak times, there may be more devices running in the area making wifi networks slow. On the 2.4 Ghz channel, you basically have channel 1, 6, 11 as the main channels. If they are being used around you, chances are you are going to get bad speeds. I use something like this to check what is running in my area and select a band/channel that is not being used: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html

I used to have issues on a 25 Mbit connection and after proper configuration, I never had issues. You can toss more bandwidth into the mix but the fact is that you won't get the most out of your connection. Another thing is the modem you are using. Most newer modems have 32 channels downstream and that helps with peak slowdown. If you have an older modem with 8 channels, you might encounter performance issues.

Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30579 posts
5065 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Komorebi wrote:
Dec 10th, 2017 7:25 pm
I realize that I may rarely actually get 75 mbps (if ever), but I'd like to think it would still be faster overall.
I don't know about Shaw, but out east, Rogers does give you the advertised speed. If they say you are getting 75 mbps, you will get 75 mbps. During peak hours, it may drop, but it is usually very close to the advertised speed. This will vary from neighbourhood to neighbourhood.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18831 posts
6847 upvotes
Toronto
I think it is a bit of a gamble to upgrade in this case. The local infrastructure is likely to be excessively congested during the peak hours to the point of being useless. If OP has good performance on the 15 mbit plan during off peak times, this indicates that during peak hours 15 mbits speed is unachievable. How does switching to a higher speed profile suddenly alter the congestion? It is like relabeling the maximum speed on the highway to 200 kmph during rush hour and expecting traffic to flow faster.

The reference to Rogers being able to deliver full speed on the lower tier services in the GTA, it is not applicable to OPs case at all. Rogers infrastructure has enough capacity to ensure that performance exceeds the speed profiles of the lower tier services even during peak hours. When I was on the 100 mbit plan with Rogers, I would be able to peak at 132 mbits/s at all hours of day.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1208 posts
536 upvotes
GTA
lead wrote:
Dec 10th, 2017 9:53 pm
don't you remember this

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... ine-video/
And then net neutrality was implemented and everyone was happy.

Now Trump is president and his new guy is repealing net neutrality this month.

Luckily doesn't apply to Canada as we still enforce net neutrality.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread