Pets

Will walk dogs for free (Toronto/North York)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2017 1:49 pm
[OP]
Jun 21, 2007
3 posts
Toronto

Will walk dogs for free (Toronto/North York)

Hello

my situation does not allow me to have a dog of my own, but I grew up raising two rottweilers (one after the other) and I really miss dogs.
So, in my spare time after work and on weekends I'd like to volunteer my services if anyone needs a dog walker.

I do have a car, so I can move around somewhat, but ideally I'd like to find dogs and owners around Toronto/North York area. I live at Yonge/Sheppard myself.

I really prefer to find some big dogs to walk. That plays to my strengths as I can hold them and am not afraid of them.

If you might like my help just let me know, or if you know anyone who might, please share this post.
Cheers
14 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2343 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto
Are you insured should something happen to my dog under your care?

What dog owners need to know before hiring dog walkers
https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.2648030

What Do “Dog Walkers” Need to Know?
http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theoth ... ed-to-know

I know you're doing this out of good will, but it shouldn't be taken lightly; I owned a dog walking company and I know what can happen ...
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1524 posts
266 upvotes
Markham
um....1st post...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7681 posts
2566 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds sketchy.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Jun 21, 2007
3 posts
Toronto
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
May 29th, 2017 2:12 pm
Sounds sketchy.
That is healthy skepticism. I can understand and respect that.

As for being insured - no, I am not. However I don't see why I should be if I am not running a business. Of course it would be sketchy and even risky to let just anyone take your dog for a walk. As a pet owner myself I fully understand that. What I am looking for is to meet a few people (no more than 5), introduce myself, and build trust over time. I would not mind providing some personal info in order to alleviate risk or concern. But I cannot guarantee the pet's safety or my own for that matter. I can only guarantee to use my experience and judgement to find the best solution in potential emergency situations. Certainly I can keep to some specific requests as it pertains to each individual pet and their owners (i.e. where to walk, leash/no leash, muzzle/no muzzle, play with any other dogs or more particular, diet, water, etc.) But as far as I can see it, this should all be made clear in the process of the first interview/introduction.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1524 posts
266 upvotes
Markham
Why don't you volunteer at a shelter/rescue? They are constantly looking for volunteers. Both would benefit from this situation.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18189 posts
3311 upvotes
Thornhill
+1 on volunteering. No one is gonna let a stranger take their dog, even with professional dog walkers, owners are really picky.
[OP]
Jun 21, 2007
3 posts
Toronto
coriolis wrote:
May 30th, 2017 1:56 pm
+1 on volunteering. No one is gonna let a stranger take their dog, even with professional dog walkers, owners are really picky.
I've submitted a couple of applications for volunteering in shelters in my neighborhood, but their process is quite complicated. The application itself, references, then training and scheduling is more complicated. I am hoping for the best there.

Ideally, though, I'd like to achieve what I set out to do originally - find a few people with dogs, introduce myself, get to know them and let them get to know me, and establish a friendly relationship. In essence I completely agree that no one is going to let a stranger walk their dog. That is why natural human to human interaction, first impressions and forming of opinion would be essential. If people go through the same process with their "professional" dog walkers, I don't see why it can't be done with someone who is not taking payment for the service.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7681 posts
2566 upvotes
Toronto
Post ad on kijiji and craiglist for free services.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1524 posts
266 upvotes
Markham
greeny wrote:
May 30th, 2017 2:10 pm
I've submitted a couple of applications for volunteering in shelters in my neighborhood, but their process is quite complicated. The application itself, references, then training and scheduling is more complicated. I am hoping for the best there.

Ideally, though, I'd like to achieve what I set out to do originally - find a few people with dogs, introduce myself, get to know them and let them get to know me, and establish a friendly relationship. In essence I completely agree that no one is going to let a stranger walk their dog. That is why natural human to human interaction, first impressions and forming of opinion would be essential. If people go through the same process with their "professional" dog walkers, I don't see why it can't be done with someone who is not taking payment for the service.
The references/training are in place for a reason.
When we were selecting our dog walkers, we checked their references and insurance to make sure they are legit.

If you looking for someone to look after you pet/house/baby/vehicle, would you hand it over to a stranger without checking his/her references/training/insurance?
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4591 posts
842 upvotes
Mississauga
When people drop their pet off for daycare/boarding/bathing - whether it's a PetSmart or some other place, do they just assume the places are insured or do they actually check? It's a reasonable assumption, but it'd be hypocritical, if you didn't check. Just sayin.

Furthermore, you sign a waiver at those places anyways. So I don't know that there is really that much that one can legally do should something unfortunate happen. Sure, publicity-wise, stuff can be done.
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
14694 posts
3759 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
lol you could have walked my beast if you were in Burlington
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
May 12, 2009
656 posts
138 upvotes
Same, I would love a volunteer dog walker who could handle my "free-spirited, bold" canine.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1452 posts
192 upvotes
Markham
BDSL wrote:
May 30th, 2017 1:53 pm
Why don't you volunteer at a shelter/rescue? They are constantly looking for volunteers. Both would benefit from this situation.
Right on...good suggestion.
Jul 1, 2017
43 posts
2 upvotes
MrsPotato wrote:
May 29th, 2017 12:36 pm
Are you insured should something happen to my dog under your care?

What dog owners need to know before hiring dog walkers
https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.2648030

What Do “Dog Walkers” Need to Know?
http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theoth ... ed-to-know

I know you're doing this out of good will, but it shouldn't be taken lightly; I owned a dog walking company and I know what can happen ...
I'd love to hear some horror stories please :)