Careers

will you accept an offer 175 kilo from home?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2014 8:58 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 6, 2009
109 posts
9 upvotes

will you accept an offer 175 kilo from home?

The family needs the income. It's the kind of job you want but 2 hrs driving from home. Family moving is not possible at this point.

will you accept the offer?? Thanks~~
16 replies
Banned
Nov 12, 2013
927 posts
209 upvotes
Iceland
You answered your own question with saying your family 'needs' the income...
"Between my salary and the office supplies I pilfer, I'm making 6 figures."
Medicine1T4 wrote: oh that's just a username............... im in grade 12
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2681 posts
1482 upvotes
Hometown
Is it 175 each way or round trip? How much will you keep of the "extra" money after paying for gas, wear and tear, possible higher insurance costs for a longer commute? You are looking at easily over 65,000 KM a year on a 5 day week, if it is 175 k one way. Also depending on where you are driving doing 175 k in 2 hrs might be highly optimistic given some people on here take 30 mins to go 20K with traffic.

Would it be "cheaper" to rent a room where the job was and only go home on weekends?
Dec 6, 2009
109 posts
9 upvotes
it's 175 one way. the kids are very young and need care. if i rent and go home only weekends, that will put extra work on other family members.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2681 posts
1482 upvotes
Hometown
baotwin wrote: it's 175 one way. the kids are very young and need care. if i rent and go home only weekends, that will put extra work on other family members.
With that commute you will be in the car a minimum of 20 hrs a week earning "nothing" extra for that time, and not contributing to the care of your kids either. What are the chances you could do something part time for that 20 hrs a week closer to home? Keep in mind putting 65000KM a year on a vehicle isn't going to be cheap so if you make less in the part time job close to home it could still be the better option all around.
Nov 18, 2010
617 posts
265 upvotes
Vancouver
My commute is 75kms each way.
1hour+ with no traffic.
The drive sucks specailly during winter.
$20 bucks gas per day.
Some co-workers do 150kms each way and they go home on weekends.

Do what you gotta do to put food on your table.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
14883 posts
4842 upvotes
Nanaimo, BC
I drove about 180 km each way of a daily commute for a few months... about 2 hours and 15 minutes each way.

I got up about 5:00 AM, left for work around 6:00 AM. My work day varied, ending between 5:00 PM and 9:00 PM. I would get home between 7:15 PM and 11:30 PM.

It was rough, but it had to be done. I subscribed to audiobooks and listened to a lot of books during the driving, "reading" books I would never had had the time to enjoy otherwise.

Eventually I found a place with cheap rent. I would go to work on Monday morning and go home on Friday afternoon. (I could work extra during Monday to Thursday and get off early Friday afternoon.)

I actually preferred doing the daily drive and listening to the audiobooks, but the renting option was easier for my family.
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur (United Nations IPCC Report 2021)

Every disaster film starts with scientists being ignored
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
Depends on the pay and job title. To work for Tims (server not head office), no but say as accountant as controller than yes.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
I did a 3 hour commute for a few months to work for the government pay and title. I know some that did 4 hours commute. Would the 3 hour commute put you ahead in your career so that you can provide better for your family? If it is a dead end more little cash, you can work in construction for a while until a better opportunities to come.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
It's too far unless you are making THAT MUCH MORE than what you can find locally.
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
If relocation isn't an option then no, unless they were paying you huge amounts of cash that.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7963 posts
1142 upvotes
I would never do that. But it all depends on your situation.
Banned
Nov 27, 2006
2200 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto
yeah you gotta run the numbers and see what makes sense for you. there really isn't an easy answer.
personally, I would do a 2 hour commute if it meant a VERY substantial increase in income.

I would need to be compensated for my commute time.. so to me thats +4 hours of work each day + 8 hours in the office/on the job.. so i should be making the equivalent of 12 hours pay in a day for a similar job - if that makes sense.
Aug 30, 2014
49 posts
10 upvotes
Vancouver
Time is money.
You can take the job for now and look for something closer & better.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4475 posts
811 upvotes
They would need to pay about double what the next guy is willing to pay in order for me to do it.
Oct 31, 2012
631 posts
45 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Take the job first and keep looking at the same time. Having said that don't follow my advise if it will hurt your career or future job opportunities. If u work in an industry where everybody knows each other then it would jeopardize your opportunity in the future. I know I am not giving the most ethical answer, but if you really really need the job to survive and feed your family, then you have to do what you have to do.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)