• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2017 2:30 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6144 posts
3613 upvotes
Toronto

Win 10 - phantom user account

This AM I took my ThinkPad X230T out of sleep and went to log in. There was an extra user account on the screen where you enter your password, right below the usual ones. The user name was long somewhat cryptic and had both underscores and either TMP or TEMP in it. In the time it took me to grab my camera that was a few feet away it disappeared. The user name was something like this:
TUSV_ghghg_THKDP_TEMP

I quickly checked the user accounts and it did not show up there.
I did scans with MBAM and ESET that came up clean.

Searching the web, I found some references to ESET anti theft, but I have not activated it. Any idea what is going on?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1399 posts
301 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Remove ESET.

If you ever need tracking, use Computrace. Much more robust.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6144 posts
3613 upvotes
Toronto
robertz wrote: Remove ESET.
Are you suggesting or confirming that ESET created the phantom user account?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
The above username looks like it was an automated software update from Lenovo.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6144 posts
3613 upvotes
Toronto
Frankie3s wrote: The above username looks like it was an automated software update from Lenovo.
That is a distinct possibility. I did do some updates the last time I used the computer before this happened. It is interesting to know that Lenovo has or can create a user account on one of their computers.

On one hand, it puts me at ease. On the other it makes me sort of paranoid that a manufacturer can create a user account. The computer is primarily used for health records, knowing that a user account can be created without my knowledge makes me nervous. That is something I better look into. Thanks for the insight.

On edit, it looks like @Frankie3s was right. I've found a few similar posts elsewhere like this: https://superuser.com/questions/984284/ ... s-tvsu-tmp
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
TUSV ....... Very likely it's your Lenovo System Update software, some versions have options to do automatic updates :)

if you are worried ..

- Open up Lenovo System Update
- Advanced -> Scheduled updates -> uncheck it

Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6144 posts
3613 upvotes
Toronto
george__ wrote: TUSV ....... Very likely it's your Lenovo System Update software
Thanks all,
I'm fairly confident it was TVSU then, ThinkVantage System Update
It sure freaked me out though.

FWIW, from what I've been able to find out, it appears that a similar thing happens when updating some NVIDIA drivers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)