• Oct 13th, 2017 9:55 am
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
38434 posts
5532 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Win 7 Pro SP1 Main C Drive SSD space shrinking daily/weekly/monthly

Hey folks!

I haven't posted here in ages, but I think the opportunity presents itself now haha. So my main C Drive is an OCZ Agility 3 SSD that I've had since 2012. I've had no mechanical problems to date.

However, for more than a month or 2, I've been noticing my HD space has been shrinking by itself on a weekly/monthly basis, and now it stands at 3.08GB left. When the problem started happening, it was at around 16GB and that was fine, because I have never installed any large programs on my C Drive. I looked up on Google and tried few solutions, including cleaning the temp folder, and clearing the usual browser data.

1) Disable system protection for the C Drive, deleted all restore points, and max usage for disk protection is 1.12GB at 1%.

2) Disk Cleanup

However, using Disk Cleanup, it apparently makes my HD space even smaller, so I stopped using that.

Any other ideas? I haven't tried using CC cleaner yet

https://www.howtogeek.com/125923/7-ways ... n-windows/
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Jun 15, 2011
38434 posts
5532 upvotes
Richmond Hill
cdnNick wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 12:36 pm
What version of Windows are you running? I ran into this issue on a few Windows 7 PCs that I support, there was a log folder that was filling up with text files about the same error over and over.

Check this folder: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... drive.html
Win 7 Pro SP1
Jun 17, 2012
1805 posts
210 upvotes
In another world
Have you installed any program recently?
Did you check your computer for viruses or malware?
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
38434 posts
5532 upvotes
Richmond Hill
cdnNick wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 12:36 pm
What version of Windows are you running? I ran into this issue on a few Windows 7 PCs that I support, there was a log folder that was filling up with text files about the same error over and over.

Check this folder: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... drive.html
Bingo. So I shall follow the instructions on removing those files and for preventing it in the future?

Jun 15, 2011
38434 posts
5532 upvotes
Richmond Hill
gontori wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 12:38 pm
Have you installed any program recently?
Did you check your computer for viruses or malware?
No and yes. I check for viruses/malware on a daily basis.
2843 posts
59 upvotes
Kanata
djemzine wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 12:37 pm
Win 7 Pro SP1
Have a quick peak at that folder, I had a user with the same issue yesterday and freed up about 16GB, the last user was 35GB.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18326 posts
3434 upvotes
Thornhill
Download WinDirStat and run it on that drive. Look at whats taking up space, delete if necessary.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2167 posts
352 upvotes
Montreal
Yesterday I freed up 16gb of leftover installers from c:\windows\installer\ by using PatchCleaner.

I'm on Win10 though.

Check it out!

And do use CCleaner, it's useful.
Last edited by marc_t on Oct 11th, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koodo & Tangerine customer since 2006
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
38434 posts
5532 upvotes
Richmond Hill
cdnNick wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 12:42 pm
Have a quick peak at that folder, I had a user with the same issue yesterday and freed up about 16GB, the last user was 35GB.
Yup 15GB worth of those files. I am following the steps on the link you provided. Stopped the service, moving all of those files to a slave drive that's bigger. Then will be deleting those cab files in the C Windows Temp folder, which is 9GB worth?

Then shall reboot my PC.
Step 1. Stop the Windows Modules Installer service. Click Start and in the Search box type

services.msc

Press Enter and you see the Local Services list.

Step 2. Scroll down to the Windows Modules Installer service and double-click on it.

Step 3. Under Service status, click Stop. Click OK.

Step 4. Use File Explorer to go to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS. (If Windows is installed on a different hard drive, you have to go to that drive.)

Step 5. Move or rename all of the files in that folder.

Step 6. For good measure, delete all the "cab*" files in your Windows Temp folder, typically C:\Windows\Temp. Makecab won't ever delete them, so you get to.

Step 7. Reboot.

When Windows comes back, the Windows Module Installer service will be running again, and makecab should stop choking on the oversized log file.

If you need the big CBS.log file -- unlikely but possible -- just use a text reader like Notepad to go into the renamed or moved file. If you aren't terribly interested in the log files, you can delete them.
Jun 15, 2011
38434 posts
5532 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Now I have good ample space now haha. Thanks guys!
2843 posts
59 upvotes
Kanata
I was lazy and just deleted all the CBSxxx files that weren't the most current file (CBS.log) yours is already over 1GB it should archive it into a cab file soon and start a new CBS.log file. You'll want to go back into that folder and delete that.

The problem seemed to go away after deleting all the files.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
5466 posts
900 upvotes
Maple
Strange, just check my 2 desktops. There are not too many. What are those files are for?
Images
  • Capture.PNG
Last edited by teoconca on Oct 11th, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2006
2843 posts
59 upvotes
Kanata
teoconca wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 1:04 pm
Strange, just check mine 2 desktops. There are not too many. What are those files are for?
The basic idea is that once the Trusted Installer CBS log in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS grows to more than 2GB, the CAB compression utility (which Microsoft prefers to the far more common Zip) can't handle it. Microsoft's makecab.exe chokes on files bigger than 2GB.

It's hit or miss, out of about 130 PCs I support I've come across this 3 times, so it's not a large percentage that get affected by the bug.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
38434 posts
5532 upvotes
Richmond Hill
cdnNick wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 1:01 pm
I was lazy and just deleted all the CBSxxx files that weren't the most current file (CBS.log) yours is already over 1GB it should archive it into a cab file soon and start a new CBS.log file. You'll want to go back into that folder and delete that.

The problem seemed to go away after deleting all the files.
Hmm... even if I moved those files to a different HDD altogether? Surprising how Windows never released a SP to fix this issue.