Computers & Electronics

Win XP SP2 update killed my rig: what are my options?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2005 4:43 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
2350 posts
876 upvotes
Central Ontario
milhaus wrote:?? For a consultant, maybe . . .
Sorry Milhaus, I wasn't implying that your system was an easy fix... trust me, I do my fair share of reinstalls. Not all of them can be rescued or are worth rescuing.

I think you'd have a tough time exchanging your existing system for one of the new (rumoured) iMacs. You'd be taking a serious step back in performance if the rumours are true and it's a 1.25GHz G4. With that said, I am pretty sure I will order one of these if the price/specs are as rumoured. Complements my iBook and my PCs.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
JustMike,

yeah, bad wording i guess. the problem with A347.SYS (which is the virtual drive device driver for the most recent version of Alcohol 120%) is that it can cause BSODs or Dr. Watson "BEX" exceptions whenever DEP is enabled. Disable DEP *or* un-install Alcohol (and the corresponding device driver) and there is no problem. Last I checked, the company responsible for Alcohol had not released an SP2-friendly version.
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10594 posts
4839 upvotes
Burnaby
There are far more problems using a pirated XP vs legit XP - my laptop has had no problems.
Ahem...

Disclaimer: Not implaying anything for any reason.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
errr, what? why are you accusing someone in this thread of being a pirate? what does that have to do with SP2 problems?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
6209 posts
3028 upvotes
Toronto
konfusion666 wrote:JustMike,

yeah, bad wording i guess. the problem with A347.SYS (which is the virtual drive device driver for the most recent version of Alcohol 120%) is that it can cause BSODs or Dr. Watson "BEX" exceptions whenever DEP is enabled. Disable DEP *or* un-install Alcohol (and the corresponding device driver) and there is no problem. Last I checked, the company responsible for Alcohol had not released an SP2-friendly version.
I had Alcohol on my system. I suppose it really did screw up the install. And Crimsona, I was just waiting for that comment - it was a legit version, FYI.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2003
2174 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
Strange, I've had no probs with SP2 on my old 500 mhz PC nor my Dell 4700. SP2 came preloaded on my Dell, while I installed SP2 from the free cd MS gave out. No probs whatsoever.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2004
1378 posts
219 upvotes
Before you do that, try using ERD Commander 2003 from Sysinternals. It will boot up into its own GUI and you can access the System Restore information on any local drive that can be detected. ERDC is very easy to use - looks almost exactly the same as WinXP.

Very handy - may save you a format / reinstall.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1301 posts
Use ERD only as a very last resort. Once you use ERD to do a system restore, you cannot go back because all the system restore points will be GONE.

I've tried using ERD twice to get to system restore and things werent restored 100%, that included menus shortcuts etc. Still better than a full format.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
6209 posts
3028 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the help guys. A complete system reinstall was required, but I'm now on a clean SP2 system which runs smoothly and quickly. All likely to be replaced in a month if I like the specs on that new headless iMac.