Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5833 posts
503 upvotes
London
mingsi wrote:
Dec 24th, 2012 9:39 pm
How is the battery life for the hot spot? Should the 7.2 Mbps download and 5.76 Mbps upload speed be a concern?
Probably depends a lot on your location for speed. I got it primarily for temporary home use as I'm out of the main city and there is no wired Internet there. I only get about 1.5 down there at the most (over 5 in the city), so I got the cheap one as I wouldn't get the faster speeds anyways. Since I bought the device outright as I only plan to use it off and on and wanted prepaid for that reason, the cheaper one seemed the best for me. I leave it plugged in at home most of the time. From the bit of mobile use I've gotten out of it, battery life isn't great. The sales rep told me 3-4 hours. Might be a little more than that. Maybe 6 hours I intermittent use or so as I think it goes to power saving mode. I wouldn't expect a full day out of it, at least not the $49 one.
[OP]
Dec 9, 2004
455 posts
26 upvotes
Thanks for the reply, will you get a phone number out of this plan?
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4684 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto
mingsi wrote:
Dec 24th, 2012 6:34 pm
It's my bad, I have yet to get the Nexus 4 phone, and right now only have the Nexus 7 tablet, so all my thought is about how to hook up the USB stick to the tablet.

Of the two internet stick they offer, E1691 and E366, all should be free with the wintab, right? Which one would you suggest, will the 4G version (E366) worth it?

PS: Somewhere I read you may need the 4-digit pin for the SIM card, is that easy to obtain? Really am thinking about get it work with the Nexus 7 now. As rumor is Google's own X phone is on the way. :D
Don't think you can connect an internet stick to your tablet and connect that way. You can buy the wireless portable hotspot (not sure if Wind still sells them) and do it that way.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5833 posts
503 upvotes
London
mingsi wrote:
Dec 24th, 2012 10:33 pm
Thanks for the reply, will you get a phone number out of this plan?
With the hot spot? Yeah they connect you to a phone number. There is a way to receive texts on it, not sure if only wind can send or anyone. But I can't send text from it. So the phone number is really just for account purposes.
[OP]
Dec 9, 2004
455 posts
26 upvotes
icemasta wrote:
Dec 24th, 2012 10:50 pm
Don't think you can connect an internet stick to your tablet and connect that way. You can buy the wireless portable hotspot (not sure if Wind still sells them) and do it that way.
In principle you can, there have been quite some discussions on this at XDA, though it's complicated. Now found the portable hotspot:
http://shop.windmobile.ca/ProductCatalo ... 83(WINDCA)
And probably will go with the mobile data plan, not a big talker, and have quite some portable wi-fi devices, going with the LG and wish 40 is a too big commitment, so it all just make good sense for me---although whether I should get a mobile data plan is quite debatable :confused: .
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
1816 posts
410 upvotes
Calgary
mingsi wrote:
Dec 24th, 2012 9:39 pm
How is the battery life for the hot spot? Should the 7.2 Mbps download and 5.76 Mbps upload speed be a concern?
I get 2 - 2.5 hrs of Internet radio streaming. 1.5-2.3 Mbps down.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15096 posts
769 upvotes
redgrandam wrote:
Dec 24th, 2012 7:36 pm
I just got a hot spot (before the promo). It's 14 days. If you are on a phone less than 30 mins talk time, with just data devices there is no limit. It you do post paid you should get everything back (minus the sim cost? But I think everything). With prepaid you just loose what the plan is worth, ie you don't get your prepaid usage back.
Thanks and thanks clicked for the fyi. I was planning on going prepaid but with post paid Iwould be able to get the wifi router hotspot free...

Anybody know, besides a credit check, what is needed to apply for post paid/wintab?
Sign the petition from MP Sonia Sidhu demanding government 'dump the duties and taxes' on cross-border purchases
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/petitio ... s-2013921/
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15096 posts
769 upvotes
mingsi wrote:
Dec 25th, 2012 12:01 am
And probably will go with the mobile data plan, not a big talker, and have quite some portable wi-fi devices, going with the LG and wish 40 is a too big commitment, so it all just make good sense for me---although whether I should get a mobile data plan is quite debatable :confused: .
You'll get 5gb more data and if you want it should be simple enough to pop the sim into a Wind phone at a later date.
Sign the petition from MP Sonia Sidhu demanding government 'dump the duties and taxes' on cross-border purchases
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/petitio ... s-2013921/
Oct 18, 2006
212 posts
9 upvotes
I just bought an Internet hotspot on Friday, and paid for the $35 mobile internet. Wondering if there's a way to switch to this $25 deal. I paid it up front, didn't go monthly billing.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5833 posts
503 upvotes
London
HorizonXP wrote:
Dec 25th, 2012 2:06 am
I just bought an Internet hotspot on Friday, and paid for the $35 mobile internet. Wondering if there's a way to switch to this $25 deal. I paid it up front, didn't go monthly billing.
Exactly what I did also on Friday. U do pre paid or post paid? The $25 deal I believe is only on postpaid. If you did prepaid like me might have to return the device (have 14 days) and then setup a new one with postpaid and get the promo. If you did post paid I'd call and ask them. They used to let you switch phone plans to their phone promos, and you have to pay an admin fee. But I don't even see that option with the data promo in the fine print.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
5921 posts
335 upvotes
Waterloo
any comment on the speed quality for the mobile stick internet with wind? 25.00 is dirt cheap i have freephoneline.ca tho..
[OP]
Dec 9, 2004
455 posts
26 upvotes
sassysue wrote:
Dec 25th, 2012 7:55 am
any comment on the speed quality for the mobile stick internet with wind? 25.00 is dirt cheap i have freephoneline.ca tho..
It might not be very good, have tried to use google voice on their BTS plan, and there are very big delay between me speak to me hear on home phone. Though the mobile data plan could be better.
Aug 30, 2012
76 posts
186 upvotes
Can someone please clarify how the Windtab works as I'm still quite confused. Let's use an example of the Samsung S3 for $299 on Windtab, regular price $649. What would be my upfront cost and what amount is on my tab? Do I have to pay $299 upfront and the rest $350 be on the tab?
May 31, 2012
364 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
ShaoBo wrote:
Dec 25th, 2012 11:41 am
Can someone please clarify how the Windtab works as I'm still quite confused. Let's use an example of the Samsung S3 for $299 on Windtab, regular price $649. What would be my upfront cost and what amount is on my tab? Do I have to pay $299 upfront and the rest $350 be on the tab?
Upfront is 299$.

Your tab is reduced every month by ~10% of your plan (i.e. if its $40.00, its -$4.00* a month). After 3 yrs it becomes zero. If you leave anytime in between, you pay your current WindTab amount at that time.

Or pay 650$ up front, and quit anytime without consequence.
Dec 25, 2004
693 posts
3 upvotes
Edmonton
I don't get the new subscribers only thing for the phones. If I'm a month-to-month customer on your $40 plan, wouldn't you want to lock me in for three years in exchange for a discount on a piece of hardware you're trying to clear out? Dumb.
× < >