Cell Phones

Wind Mobile... 1st telecommunications company in Canada to go all foreign!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2013 2:22 am
Tags:
None
62 replies
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
it means... real market competition coming to Canada.
more money from big boys and orascom and vimpelcom.
now your gonna see .05 cent per minute and .05 cent per txt plans n shiet like that.

Jimboski wrote: What does this mean.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
also now that this is in play.
this opens up options for say... verizon, att and sprint or even any other international player to come in.
aren't you tired of 80 - 100 dollar phone bills? or stupidly priced internet?
it's time the real big boys are allowed to come in and show the entrenched what how its done.
these are the wind mobile canada's backers and soon to be full on control owners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VimpelCom_Ltd.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orascom_Telecom_Holding

do you think rogers and bell and telus can match the amount of revenue these boys bring in each month?
i mean they got 205 million subs under vimpelcom alone.
the boys at orascom are pretty big boys too. they were the first and largest network in north korea.
if you look at their history of the 2 brands which are now 1. you will be like... wow. rogers and bell are puny compared to these suckers.

and just to top off how these dudes think.. its half egyptian and half russian board.
these guys hate the incumbents.. read this article dude...
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... lecontent/

the guy says "We will make pain, and they will suffer"... LOL? i think they are a little pissed at the regulatory challenges the incumbents made for them back in 2008.
i would say it is a little personal for this guy to get a little pay back if he is gonna say that in a live interview.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
Coincidently AT&T was just discussing their desire to expand internationally. I guess they feel the US market might have peaked. I'd love to see Vodafone or Orange move here. Our carriers are some of the largest that have never attempted international expansion, which is odd. You'd think they'd want to grow their businesses. But they know how good they have it here. If foreign carriers and real competition are finally allowed then our carriers are going to ***** themselves.

Edit: this is the AT&T story I mentioned.
http://m.cnet.com/news/at&t-eyes-intern ... h/57564427

I would like 2 restrictions introduced if foreign carriers/ownership rules are removed:
1) no carrier with greater than 10 market share is allowed to sell majority stake to a foreign company. This would prevent Robellus from taking the easy way out and just selling out to US carriers that would leaving us in the same boat as now by allowing them to reduce competition.
2) a temporary prohibition on domestic carriers merging or otherwise consolidating. Again, this would be to prevent them attempting to reduce competition, which is the reason for allowing foreign carriers to begin with.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7742 posts
399 upvotes
Scarborough
ceredon wrote: Coincidently AT&T was just discussing their desire to expand internationally. I guess they feel the US market might have peaked. I'd love to see Vodafone or Orange move here. Our carriers are some of the largest that have never attempted international expansion, which is odd. You'd think they'd want to grow their businesses. But they know how good they have it here. If foreign carriers and real competition are finally allowed then our carriers are going to ***** themselves.

Edit: this is the AT&T story I mentioned.
http://m.cnet.com/news/at&t-eyes-intern ... h/57564427

I would like 2 restrictions introduced if foreign carriers/ownership rules are removed:
1) no carrier with greater than 10 market share is allowed to sell majority stake to a foreign company. This would prevent Robellus from taking the easy way out and just selling out to US carriers that would leaving us in the same boat as now by allowing them to reduce competition.
2) a temporary prohibition on domestic carriers merging or otherwise consolidating. Again, this would be to prevent them attempting to reduce competition, which is the reason for allowing foreign carriers to begin with.
I like your idea for the 2 rules.

Otherwise, all I have to say is "BRING IT ON! I wanna go with t-Mo or even AT&T (like I did in 1998 with Cantel AT&T).
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
infamouskid wrote: also now that this is in play.
this opens up options for say... verizon, att and sprint or even any other international player to come in.
aren't you tired of 80 - 100 dollar phone bills? or stupidly priced internet?
it's time the real big boys are allowed to come in and show the entrenched what how its done.
these are the wind mobile canada's backers and soon to be full on control owners.
As a quick aside: ATT / Verizon charge $100 + / month for new iPhone / Android subscribers.
I'd certainly rather a EU carrier enter Canada instead of a US carrier.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote: As a quick aside: ATT / Verizon charge $100 + / month for new iPhone / Android subscribers.
I'd certainly rather a EU carrier enter Canada instead of a US carrier.
Totally agree that I'd prefer a euro carrier(s).

But AT&T customers can get the iPhone 5 with a much lower monthly bill, albeit with lesser features. As low as $60 for a small data allotment and no messaging would still qualify ($50 for seniors).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 26, 2006
5614 posts
1078 upvotes
Toronto
infamouskid wrote: it means... real market competition coming to Canada.
now your gonna see .05 cent per minute and .05 cent per txt plans n shiet like that.
Not necessarily. It's tough to say at this moment in time but I'm not ruling out an eventual sellout to the Big 3.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1651 posts
448 upvotes
So now Wind Mobile has the "global financial resources" of Orascom and Vimpelcom to wage war against the big 3. Do we really think Vimpelcom/Orascom is going to pour in the billions of dollars it will take to fight the big 3 for a country of 10 million cell phone users just to have lower prices?

There might be lower cell phone rates while the war is in progress, but once Wind has joined the big 4 (they publicly stated goal), I expect rates will rise so they can have the lucrative profit margins that the big 3 currently enjoy. It would be stupid not to (from an investor/owner POV).
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2006
3370 posts
346 upvotes
Brisbane
Unfortunately, I just don't think Canada will ever see as cheap prices for phones as Europeans do. Population density, while not the only factor, is a huge factor in number of cell towers. Further, competition in Europe isn't as big as people think it is. I pay €17/month "prepaid" for 500mb and 500 sms/voice minutes (combined) in Germany. Roaming isn't cheap but isn't prohibitively expensive. There's only four carriers in Germany: Deutsche Telekom, Vodafone, O2, and Base. Base is the cheapest, but only has an EDGE network. However, there's a bzillion MVNO's here, so that certainly helps competition.

There's more than four carriers in Canada and the prices have only gone down a bit. Maybe what the carriers were saying all these past years about infrastructure costs has some truth to it.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12016 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Wind will never be able to compete, even with the huge financial resources.

First, they can't operate in Quebec, that means they can only cover 70% of the population.
Second, unless they invest billions in infrastructure and increase the quality of service, they will never truly be a competitor

If they do invest in infrastructure, they will need to increase their prices to realise a return on investment. That will take them right to where the Big 3 are. With 70% coverage, why would you go with Wind?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 26, 2006
5614 posts
1078 upvotes
Toronto
kitty wrote: So now Wind Mobile has the "global financial resources" of Orascom and Vimpelcom to wage war against the big 3. Do we really think Vimpelcom/Orascom is going to pour in the billions of dollars it will take to fight the big 3 for a country of 10 million cell phone users just to have lower prices?

There might be lower cell phone rates while the war is in progress, but once Wind has joined the big 4 (they publicly stated goal), I expect rates will rise so they can have the lucrative profit margins that the big 3 currently enjoy. It would be stupid not to (from an investor/owner POV).
This is the year where we will see the direction Wind is likely to be heading.

Also, after dismissing all the 'conversation' promotional material from Wind, the whole intention for Wind was to capitalize on the relatively high potential ARPU in Canada. Don't forget Orascom's other mobile ventures ARPU is very low so I can see the desire to enter the Canadian market. In addition, Wind's introductory pricing shows this intention easily by them offering unlimited talk/text/data for an insane $80/month on a very small and highly infant network.
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes
Wind is getting more expensive from this year onward... Can they rise prices on currrent subscribers?
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
No. Wind is horrible and worst customer service than the big 3 with much inferior product and high pricing for the 3rd tier service they provide.

Only a fool would think they are good news lol
Aug 21, 2011
854 posts
232 upvotes
If a company could provide the price of wind mobile's services with the area of bell or rogers, they could definitely steal away a good portion of the market.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 26, 2006
5614 posts
1078 upvotes
Toronto
596722 wrote: If a company could provide the price of wind mobile's services with the area of bell or rogers, they could definitely steal away a good portion of the market.
Easy to say but in paper tough as bricks. Billions of dollars in capex with low ROI and head aching tower/cell site red tape through ineffective tower sharing agreements and NIMBYism are two area's of trouble.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2521 posts
86 upvotes
gilboman wrote: No. Wind is horrible and worst customer service than the big 3 with much inferior product and high pricing for the 3rd tier service they provide.

Only a fool would think they are good news lol
which big 3 you are working for ? :facepalm:

i am getting at par or even better service with wind compared with the rogers i used for my past 20 years

at least when i file some concern online, i have someone call me back, not like rogers they have never gave me a call back even if someone said they will !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's a deal if it's on RFD :!: :!:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
396 upvotes
Canada
noob666 wrote: which big 3 you are working for ? :facepalm:

i am getting at par or even better service with wind compared with the rogers i used for my past 20 years

at least when i file some concern online, i have someone call me back, not like rogers they have never gave me a call back even if someone said they will !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+1

When I had Rogers, my voice was on par with Rogers, data speeds were pretty much the same when comparing my 4S to a GNexus on Wind.

Switched to Bell now because I'll be traveling a lot to rural Ontario and around Tbay, but, Wind was pretty good for what I was getting (5Gb unthrottled data, u/l NA calling and SMS, etc...).
He died for me, I live for him
Dec 22, 2012
902 posts
1266 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm kind of confused... in order to conduct a communications business in Canada is there still not that %age in ownership that has to be canadian in order to enter? But i guess what they do after they get approval to enter by the CRTC is up to them?

If this is correct thats a pretty big loophole

anyways, works out for us :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)