Cell Phones

Wind Mobile... 1st telecommunications company in Canada to go all foreign!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2013 2:22 am
Tags:
None
Aug 21, 2011
736 posts
147 upvotes
If a company could provide the price of wind mobile's services with the area of bell or rogers, they could definitely steal away a good portion of the market.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4675 posts
434 upvotes
Toronto
596722 wrote:
Jan 20th, 2013 3:29 pm
If a company could provide the price of wind mobile's services with the area of bell or rogers, they could definitely steal away a good portion of the market.
Easy to say but in paper tough as bricks. Billions of dollars in capex with low ROI and head aching tower/cell site red tape through ineffective tower sharing agreements and NIMBYism are two area's of trouble.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2521 posts
85 upvotes
gilboman wrote:
Jan 20th, 2013 3:01 pm
No. Wind is horrible and worst customer service than the big 3 with much inferior product and high pricing for the 3rd tier service they provide.

Only a fool would think they are good news lol
which big 3 you are working for ? :facepalm:

i am getting at par or even better service with wind compared with the rogers i used for my past 20 years

at least when i file some concern online, i have someone call me back, not like rogers they have never gave me a call back even if someone said they will !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's a deal if it's on RFD :!: :!:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7435 posts
316 upvotes
Canada
noob666 wrote:
Jan 20th, 2013 11:19 pm

i am getting at par or even better service with wind compared with the rogers i used for my past 20 years

at least when i file some concern online, i have someone call me back, not like rogers they have never gave me a call back even if someone said they will !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+1

When I had Rogers, my voice was on par with Rogers, data speeds were pretty much the same when comparing my 4S to a GNexus on Wind.

Switched to Bell now because I'll be traveling a lot to rural Ontario and around Tbay, but, Wind was pretty good for what I was getting (5Gb unthrottled data, u/l NA calling and SMS, etc...).
He died for me, I live for him.
Dec 22, 2012
262 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga
infamouskid wrote:
Jan 20th, 2013 4:49 am
it means... real market competition coming to Canada.
I'm kind of confused... in order to conduct a communications business in Canada is there still not that %age in ownership that has to be canadian in order to enter? But i guess what they do after they get approval to enter by the CRTC is up to them?

If this is correct thats a pretty big loophole

anyways, works out for us :)
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
553 upvotes
noob666 wrote:
Jan 20th, 2013 11:19 pm

they call you back but can't do anything for you, atleast rogers can give you credits lol
shannn wrote:
Jan 20th, 2013 11:35 pm
+1

When I had Rogers, my voice was on par with Rogers, data speeds were pretty much the same when comparing my 4S to a GNexus on Wind.

Switched to Bell now because I'll be traveling a lot to rural Ontario and around Tbay, but, Wind was pretty good for what I was getting (5Gb unthrottled data, u/l NA calling and SMS, etc...).
Nope, I'm on rogers and my gf is on Wind .. when I'm with her i can tell she gets a lot of missed calls and texts hours later telling her of missed calls, she's on away zones when she's clearly in a Wind home zone and poor data coverage/speed because then the calls/texts come to me asking for her lol. It's apparent how they are a 3rd tier company/product because when I'm with her I see the crappy service she gets.

It's ok if you don't really need your phone to work most of the time and can wait for a hour here and there before it works again, the price reflects the poor service. Though prices for Wind aren't exactly cheap anymore since they force feed you much like for cable for "features" you don't need but charge you for anyways.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
1627 posts
232 upvotes
Toronto
The Globe is reporting / guessing they will sell out to Rogers / Bell / Telus.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in ... le7514399/

Seems to be speculation but perhaps that is the way the Wind is blowing :(
industry sources suggest that Wind’s foreign financial backers are anxious to cut their losses and sell their Canadian assets. Sources say that merger talks with Mobilicity have recently run cold as Amsterdam-based VimpelCom Ltd., the majority owner of Orascom, mulls a possible sale of Wind to a Canadian incumbent. Rogers Communications Inc. is the name most often floated as the potential buyer.
LRT: Let's Ruin Toronto
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17602 posts
732 upvotes
Brampton
^ That's brutal if true. But then again they've been saying the same about Mobilicity since last year
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Sep 21, 2004
8275 posts
1809 upvotes
Calgary
duckdown wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 1:04 pm
^ That's brutal if true. But then again they've been saying the same about Mobilicity since last year
I have a bad feeling about this as well. By buying almost all shares from Globalive, its' easier for Orascom to sell it to Rogers.
There is no doubt they spent a ton of money and ROI has been below expectation.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
297 upvotes
New Westminster
i know Canada wants to keep its own cell phone companies and all it means but i wish they would just open up everything across borders since Canada is so widespread in area but with just pockets of population along the border mostly. Until they open it up we will always be paying a premium for services that depend on a nationwide infrastructure.

Only problem with what i suggested is that we might possibly lose rights of privacy and i really don't want to fall under the patriot act and its unfair privacy acts while living in Canada.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
gilboman wrote:
Jan 20th, 2013 3:01 pm
No. Wind is horrible and worst customer service than the big 3 with much inferior product and high pricing for the 3rd tier service they provide.

Only a fool would think they are good news lol
What does the bad service (if they are) have anything to do with being owned by foreign investor?
Are you saying if they have good service, it is more acceptable that they are owned by foreign investor?
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
xhalo21 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 11:10 am
I'm kind of confused... in order to conduct a communications business in Canada is there still not that %age in ownership that has to be canadian in order to enter? But i guess what they do after they get approval to enter by the CRTC is up to them?

If this is correct thats a pretty big loophole

anyways, works out for us :)
It appears the rule changed. It does not need to be owned by Canadian (by certain percentage) if the market share is less than 10%.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7435 posts
316 upvotes
Canada
gilboman wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 12:52 pm
Nope, I'm on rogers and my gf is on Wind .. when I'm with her i can tell she gets a lot of missed calls and texts hours later telling her of missed calls, she's on away zones when she's clearly in a Wind home zone and poor data coverage/speed because then the calls/texts come to me asking for her lol. It's apparent how they are a 3rd tier company/product because when I'm with her I see the crappy service she gets.

It's ok if you don't really need your phone to work most of the time and can wait for a hour here and there before it works again, the price reflects the poor service. Though prices for Wind aren't exactly cheap anymore since they force feed you much like for cable for "features" you don't need but charge you for anyways.
That's nice. My experience is different than yours.
He died for me, I live for him.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2521 posts
85 upvotes
gilboman wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 12:52 pm
they call you back but can't do anything for you, atleast rogers can give you credits lol

QUOTE]

i am sorry but rogers is the one can't do ***** for me, at least wind made an effort and tried to resolve the issue but rogers just ignore you

so far i am getting better service from wind so i am happy

i am not going to pay rogers $60 / month for a limited use on data and also not dealing with them is a blessing
It's a deal if it's on RFD :!: :!:
Dec 22, 2012
262 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga
gman wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 5:13 pm
It appears the rule changed. It does not need to be owned by Canadian (by certain percentage) if the market share is less than 10%.
what...? thats weird... so if wind gets to 11% of the market share, what happens? "you have to have a canadian owner owning x% of your company or else in 6 months you will have to cease operations... signed, CRTC"

i'm no lawyer so i have no idea, but again this looks like a giant loophole once this wind transaction is finalized (if it is finalized)
× < >