Cell Phones

Wind Mobile... 1st telecommunications company in Canada to go all foreign!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2013 2:22 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3646 posts
128 upvotes
Barrie
gilboman wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 12:52 pm
they call you back but can't do anything for you, atleast rogers can give you credits lol

Nope, I'm on rogers and my gf is on Wind .. when I'm with her i can tell she gets a lot of missed calls and texts hours later telling her of missed calls, she's on away zones when she's clearly in a Wind home zone and poor data coverage/speed because then the calls/texts come to me asking for her lol. It's apparent how they are a 3rd tier company/product because when I'm with her I see the crappy service she gets.

It's ok if you don't really need your phone to work most of the time and can wait for a hour here and there before it works again, the price reflects the poor service. Though prices for Wind aren't exactly cheap anymore since they force feed you much like for cable for "features" you don't need but charge you for anyways.
Must be an issue with your area, I know 2 people on wind in Barrie who have had great experiences. I know a 3rd person who lives in Toronto and hasnt complained about wind but I dont know if he has had any issues he just didnt care about.
We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2003
5798 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
Been on WIND for years and love it.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
xhalo21 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 11:56 pm
what...? thats weird... so if wind gets to 11% of the market share, what happens? "you have to have a canadian owner owning x% of your company or else in 6 months you will have to cease operations... signed, CRTC"

i'm no lawyer so i have no idea, but again this looks like a giant loophole once this wind transaction is finalized (if it is finalized)
That is why the foreign ownership of Rogers/Telus/Bell cannot exceed 33%.

If Wind is going to reach over 10%, they will have to:
1. do something about the ownership or
2. stop getting new customer or
3. split into 2 companies (if CRTC allows that) or
4. sell some customer accounts to another company or
5. wait to see what CRTC will do and then stay in court for years.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9229 posts
1876 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
gman wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 10:21 am
That is why the foreign ownership of Rogers/Telus/Bell cannot exceed 33%.

If Wind is going to reach over 10%, they will have to:
1. do something about the ownership or
2. stop getting new customer or
3. split into 2 companies (if CRTC allows that) or
4. sell some customer accounts to another company or
5. wait to see what CRTC will do and then stay in court for years.
It depends on how they manage to go over the 10% revenue threshold. If they do it organically, they are fine. If the go over 10% by merging or buying up assets, then they fall under the same restrictions that Bell/Rogers/Telus would have.
http://www.mondaq.com/canada/x/187372/T ... +In+Canada
http://www.mccarthy.ca/article_detail.aspx?id=5862
A carrier established under the exemption can expand its operations to exceed the 10% ownership threshold, provided that growth beyond the threshold is not a result of acquiring control of another carrier or acquiring assets of another Canadian carrier, in which case the normal ownership restrictions would apply (effectively, a 46.7% limit and no "control in fact").
They can climb to 10% however they like, so they can merge or buy assets or whatever, but at that point they will have to grow simply through competition. Right now, 10% of the Canadian wireless revenue would be just over $4 billion. I don't think any of the newbs are close to that yet, so they still have time to look at mergers.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
3814 posts
166 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Hibbing wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 7:02 am
Been on WIND for years and love it.
+1
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
553 upvotes
gman wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 5:09 pm
What does the bad service (if they are) have anything to do with being owned by foreign investor?
Are you saying if they have good service, it is more acceptable that they are owned by foreign investor?
I was commenting that it's good news that WIND may get bigger, a bigger piece of turd is not better than a smaller piece of turd was my point.
shannn wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 10:18 pm
That's nice. My experience is different than yours.
I'm sure it is, I'm sure for a particular market segment of consumers and/or area, WIND is good enough. Just like Circus Circus in Vegas is good to some people. It's when people try to compare Circus Circus to the Cosmopolitan aka Wind to Big 3 where it becomes laughable.
Agafaba wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 3:03 am
Must be an issue with your area, I know 2 people on wind in Barrie who have had great experiences. I know a 3rd person who lives in Toronto and hasnt complained about wind but I dont know if he has had any issues he just didnt care about.
Maybe, Yonge Corridor, anywhere north of Hwy 7, Sauga, Scarborough east, Yonge/Bloor are areas where i've noticed they really lack. If you don't frequent those areas much , it maybe good.

Thats why the gf is still on Wind, it's cheap and it doesn't matter to her if she loses service/data/calls since those are not must have's for her.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2013
1619 posts
393 upvotes
Burnaby
Wind may be ghetto, but show me anyone else with a comparable plan for a similar price. There isn't one.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
ceredon wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 10:46 am
It depends on how they manage to go over the 10% revenue threshold. If they do it organically, they are fine. If the go over 10% by merging or buying up assets, then they fall under the same restrictions that Bell/Rogers/Telus would have.
http://www.mondaq.com/canada/x/187372/T ... +In+Canada
http://www.mccarthy.ca/article_detail.aspx?id=5862

They can climb to 10% however they like, so they can merge or buy assets or whatever, but at that point they will have to grow simply through competition. Right now, 10% of the Canadian wireless revenue would be just over $4 billion. I don't think any of the newbs are close to that yet, so they still have time to look at mergers.
I guess I can interpret that as any foreign investor are welcome to come in to set up their wireless carrier service and it does not matter how much capital they bring in if they start from scratch.
Because they will all start from 0%.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
Psykopathik wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 1:35 pm
Wind may be ghetto, but show me anyone else with a comparable plan for a similar price. There isn't one.
Not even Mobilicity?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9229 posts
1876 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
gman wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 2:45 pm
I guess I can interpret that as any foreign investor are welcome to come in to set up their wireless carrier service and it does not matter how much capital they bring in if they start from scratch.
Because they will all start from 0%.
That's the way I would read it. As long as they don't buy their way to over 10% they are good to go.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9229 posts
1876 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
gilboman wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 1:10 pm
I was commenting that it's good news that WIND may get bigger, a bigger piece of turd is not better than a smaller piece of turd was my point.

I'm sure it is, I'm sure for a particular market segment of consumers and/or area, WIND is good enough. Just like Circus Circus in Vegas is good to some people. It's when people try to compare Circus Circus to the Cosmopolitan aka Wind to Big 3 where it becomes laughable.

Maybe, Yonge Corridor, anywhere north of Hwy 7, Sauga, Scarborough east, Yonge/Bloor are areas where i've noticed they really lack. If you don't frequent those areas much , it maybe good.

Thats why the gf is still on Wind, it's cheap and it doesn't matter to her if she loses service/data/calls since those are not must have's for her.
If you think Rogers is like a highend vegas Hotel you need to get to more Vegas hotels. Only someone that has only dealt with Rogers could think that.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2521 posts
85 upvotes
ceredon wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 3:47 pm
If you think Rogers is like a highend vegas Hotel you need to get to more Vegas hotels. Only someone that has only dealt with Rogers could think that.
+ 1

been off rogers cell for 2 years and feel a lot better by just not dealing with there customer service
It's a deal if it's on RFD :!: :!:
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1280 posts
87 upvotes
noob666 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 6:01 pm
+ 1

been off rogers cell for 2 years and feel a lot better by just not dealing with there customer service
Honestly, I think Wind's customer service is way worse. I've never had a bad experience with Rogers customer service, but I hate paying Rogers' high prices. Wind is awesome as long as you have signal where you go and don't need to contact customer service.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3646 posts
128 upvotes
Barrie
Maybe wind just needs some time to get a core of dedicated knowledgeable reps and tweak their policies. If Rogers had one year to train and hire all new employees for their call centre it would be a nightmare, having worked at one for a year I can safely say thats not an assumption.
We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
kitty wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 1:05 pm
Honestly, I think Wind's customer service is way worse. I've never had a bad experience with Rogers customer service, but I hate paying Rogers' high prices. Wind is awesome as long as you have signal where you go and don't need to contact customer service.
I have deal with Bell, Rogers, Telus, Fido and Wind.
In the order from the worst to less worse, the order is:

Bell, Bell, Bell, Bell, Bell, Bell, Wind, Rogers, Fido, Telus.
× < >