• Jan 22nd, 2013 1:50 pm
[OP]
Jul 8, 2012
11 posts
6 upvotes
WHITBY

WIND MOBILE Account Fraud

Hey there,

Unfortunately for me I received a letter from wind mobile in the mail stating that I have an outstanding balance and my account has been temporarily suspended. The weird thing is that, I have never created a wind account nor have I ever inquired about one. At first I remained calm and contacted wind about this to open up a ticket to get this resolved quickly as possible. Of course that didn't happen as I had to call back about a week later to follow up with it. In a nut shell, someone has used my name and address and possible credit card info to create a Wind account with three lines and have an outstanding balance. I was able to find out that this is a monthly account and it has my credit attached to it. I don't know what to do as I'm afraid credit will now be ruined. I contacted the police to obtain an incident number and was told to now contact Equifax to notify them of fraud alert.

Anyone able to help me with more information on what to do. It would be much appreciated.
16 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
10713 posts
1693 upvotes
Toronto
Wrong forum, my friend. If you are here to criticize wind mobile, then welcome to the conversation...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
8852 posts
298 upvotes
Mississauga
Cell phone fraud happens everyday all the time.

Protect your information is all you can do.

From what i have heard from a friend that works @ Wind
He told me it their system is one of the tightest when it comes to security.

He told me when a person activates the system insures that the address linked to the CC provided is exactly the same adress on a drivers licence.
So someone must of got a hold of both a CC and a Drivers Licence with your name on it.
Most places, at least from what i have heard dont do this since most fraud is done on just valid CC#'s where the adresses are made up.

Have you activated a phone within the past 3-6 months?
RFD 33-0-0
Ebay 18-0-0

|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
[OP]
Jul 8, 2012
11 posts
6 upvotes
WHITBY
Damn....
Nope haven't done anything that requires a credit check in the past 4-5 years. Just the usual credit card purchases for day to day transactions.
Aug 31, 2009
57 posts
This happened to me as well. I did a credit check only at wind about 2-3 months ago, but did not sign up for anything and signed nothing.
Recently i went to wind to sign up for one of their plans, and there's a fraudulent wind account with my info and 4 lines attached to it. I have not received any bills yet and there are no charges on my credit card.

Seems like this happens ALOT with wind... I've filed a police report and cancelled my credit card. Wind customer service is horrible as usual, so I'm just hoping i dont get a bill in the mail.

anyone know what would happen if I just don't pay the fraudulent bill?
Jan 14, 2010
286 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
It definitely sounds like an inside job.
RFD Browsing = 90% Mobile / 10% Laptop
Aug 21, 2010
2 posts
Hi

I just got the same letter and would like some advice on how to go about clearing it up. Any info would be appreciated
Jun 15, 2011
37823 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Royalsoldier wrote:
Sep 27th, 2012 12:37 am
It definitely sounds like an inside job.
Most likely...
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
146 posts
16 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
eblaz wrote:
Jan 19th, 2013 10:16 pm
Hi

I just got the same letter and would like some advice on how to go about clearing it up. Any info would be appreciated
Initial thoughts:
1) Call Wind and tell them that someone else used your information to create the account. Ask Wind what info is on your account. ie Credit card info, drivers licence etc
2) If any info is incorrect then you know that the fraudsters don't have all your info.
3) If they have your credit card info, contact they cc company and let them know.
4) Get Wind to close down the account and not send you any bills. You will probably have to speak to a regional manager in order to get this to happen.
5) Contact equifax and transunion, ask them to put a fraud alert on your file until this is cleared up.
6) Get reports from both companies and make sure to check every single request in your credit history.
7) Other than the Wind request, if their are no others that are not initiated by you then your probably ok. If there are others then your identity may have been stolen. You will then need to address this if it is the case.

Good luck
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
3816 posts
168 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Nothing to do with Wind, as mentioned they have excellent security in place and this can happen with anyone. Most likely inside job, call them and have it shut down, good luck.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
297 upvotes
New Westminster
sixer wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 9:23 pm
Nothing to do with Wind, as mentioned they have excellent security in place and this can happen with anyone. Most likely inside job, call them and have it shut down, good luck.
nothing to do with Wind but inside job.... well Wind should be i would hope checking this out - if not then they don't have good security. If you let your employees steal from your customers like this then you might as well take the blame for it unless your doing everything that a business can to negate this from happening. just saying.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3651 posts
129 upvotes
Barrie
Keas wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 11:45 pm
nothing to do with Wind but inside job.... well Wind should be i would hope checking this out - if not then they don't have good security. If you let your employees steal from your customers like this then you might as well take the blame for it unless your doing everything that a business can to negate this from happening. just saying.
Its not that hard for an individual to steal information if they work for the company. I could have easily stole hundreds of T-Mobile customers credit card numbers if I felt like it while working in their call centre.
[QUOTE]We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.[/QUOTE]
× < >