Is wind mobile plans worth buying?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2016 11:44 am
19 replies
May 5, 2011
427 posts
95 upvotes
Missisaga
WInd plans are fine for what you described. Public Mobile also has $40 plan with 2Gb data and unlimited text and talk. Problems with Wind start when you want high speed data and it is often only available on paper unfortunately. Very frustrating. Also, some areas still have no Wind coverage until today, tho again on paper on their website they are covered, but my wife still can't get her Wind reception at Conestoga College at Kitchener, ON for example. If you go and check their map claims to have high-speed coverage. Yeah, right. Mainly because of this 2 issues that we are still having big 3 prosper. If Wind had real coverage and real speeds - 99% would have switched to it in a heartbeat. In Canada saying "you got what you paid for.." in terms of cellphone plans/providers is as close to truth as it can be.
Public Mobile $38 4Gb LTE data on Canada's largest LTE network
Unlimited Province Wide Calling, Global Texting/MMS, Voicemail and Caller ID
iPhone 7 plus 128Gb Black
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5087 posts
1350 upvotes
Aurora
There's a lot of hate on RFD for Wind. Some of it is legitimate. Coverage and speed are most definitely not as good as the big 3. But I've been with Wind for 6 years and have had no problems with reception and speed. I've lived in Toronto and now in Aurora. Go outside the urban/suburban centres and you run into trouble. I rarely lose signal, have plenty of bandwidth (5Gb full speed) and it's fast enough to watch youtube videos on. Good enough for me. If I want to do 50Gb usenet downloads, I'll do it on my home network. The main thing is to make sure you get good reception in the places you frequent. If you can't get it at home or at work, then there's no point.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1584 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
Public Mobile 2GB $38/month
Koodo MB/SK 5GB $48/month
Zoomer/Cityfone promo too lazy to lookup
Tbaytel Prepaid 20GB $125 ($6.25/GB)
1 year expiry
Fido Tablet Flex Data Plan 1GB $15/month

Is Wind still worth it? Rhetorical question.
May 5, 2011
427 posts
95 upvotes
Missisaga
Kursor17 wrote:
Aug 26th, 2016 10:50 pm
1 year expiry

Not really rhetorical. When you want US data roaming and be able to call when you are in US for free - Wind still is the best. If it wasn't for that, I would have never even looked at Wind. Besides all your plans that you listed have limitations, like PM has only 2Gb data at that price, MB/SK is half-legal and there is still a lot of people who want to have local area code, not 204 and even-though porting can be done - it's still not as simple as just getting Wind.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3087 posts
1783 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Try wind first especially in all corners of your house and your workplace. Also, try it on your commute as well. If it works in all these places, then feel free to enjoy Wind. If not, you're gonna get more headaches than savings.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4980 posts
914 upvotes
Mississauga
dushash wrote:
Aug 26th, 2016 11:28 pm
Kursor17 wrote:
1 year expiry

Not really rhetorical. When you want US data roaming and be able to call when you are in US for free - Wind still is the best. If it wasn't for that, I would have never even looked at Wind. Besides all your plans that you listed have limitations, like PM has only 2Gb data at that price, MB/SK is half-legal and there is still a lot of people who want to have local area code, not 204 and even-though porting can be done - it's still not as simple as just getting Wind.
The op only needs whatsapp and basic internet... So 2gb/mth is more than enough
May 5, 2011
427 posts
95 upvotes
Missisaga
Ducky wrote:
Aug 27th, 2016 12:49 am
dushash wrote:
Kursor17 wrote:
1 year expiry

I'm too lazy to look it up, but if you are that anal to details then let's compare apples to apples: Wind has $35 so that is technically cheaper than $38 from PM. Besides, PM has only province wide calling - maybe OP will call to other provinces? Also, Wind will have $5 per month in service credits. I get what you are saying, but it is taken out of context, I was answering to question of rethority. What I'm trying to say is that it's not rhetorical question as Kursor17 suggested - that's all I'm saying
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4980 posts
914 upvotes
Mississauga
dushash wrote:
Aug 27th, 2016 2:03 am
Ducky wrote:
dushash wrote:

I'm too lazy to look it up, but if you are that anal to details then let's compare apples to apples: Wind has $35 so that is technically cheaper than $38 from PM. Besides, PM has only province wide calling - maybe OP will call to other provinces? Also, Wind will have $5 per month in service credits. I get what you are saying, but it is taken out of context, I was answering to question of rethority. What I'm trying to say is that it's not rhetorical question as Kursor17 suggested - that's all I'm saying
We can't compare apples to apples... That's the problem...

Public mobile is telus reception...
Wind is wind...

You can't compare top tier network to a bottom tier one...

Also, 3g speed vs lte speed

Wind can be compared to chatr...lol
Last edited by Ducky on Aug 27th, 2016 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 5, 2011
427 posts
95 upvotes
Missisaga
Ducky wrote:
Aug 27th, 2016 2:15 am
dushash wrote:
Ducky wrote:

Wind is wind...

Aha! Now I can reply with same thing you did: OP doesn't care which top tier network is it for What's up and basic internet :) However, if we were to choose from providers - of course Public Mobile is better in this scenario for OP. I agree
P.S. BTW I was first to suggest Public Mobile to OP in post #2 - I just don't want anyone to think I'm with Wind
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18004 posts
6031 upvotes
Toronto
Given the state of Wind's network I would say the answer to OP's question is a big NO! Basic data usage means fairly light usage. As mentioned by others, there are competing options in the similar price range. Go with the competition.

BTW, I am a current Wind customer, so I am not just copying and pasting others vile about the service. I pay $25 for 5 gigs and it's barely worthwhile.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2341 posts
438 upvotes
Winnipeg
Kursor17 wrote:
1 year expiry

ok thx..but I saw on public mobile ..there is no such plan for 2 gb per month....
they have the 90 day plan for total 6 gb so is that way it become 2 gb per month? that plan is 40 bucks a month for 3 months...so after 3 mnths do you need to buy again?

second question is ... how much data whatsapp consume? if you text photos and small videos to friends amd relatives abroad?

looks like public mobile will solve my wife's purpose. buying samsung galaxy note 7......
Nov 10, 2011
423 posts
81 upvotes
Burnaby
Go with BYOP for a few months and try. I have friends with Wind and while one says he has no problems (I don't believe him because in the end he is just cheap), a second (always complains about dropped calls and network issues, still with them because he is also cheap) and a 3rd that gave up Wind after 2 months.

Personally it is your main source of communication so its reliability vs. cost.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4980 posts
914 upvotes
Mississauga
Asker123 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2016 10:54 am
Kursor17 wrote:
1 year expiry

ok thx..but I saw on public mobile ..there is no such plan for 2 gb per month....
they have the 90 day plan for total 6 gb so is that way it become 2 gb per month? that plan is 40 bucks a month for 3 months...so after 3 mnths do you need to buy again?

It is a prepaid service.... Sign for autopay and it will automatically charge you every 90 days... And you get discount for doing this.... It is 6gb every 90 days

second question is ... how much data whatsapp consume? if you text photos and small videos to friends amd relatives abroad?

Not much data... Depends on videos

looks like public mobile will solve my wife's purpose. buying samsung galaxy note 7......
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4980 posts
914 upvotes
Mississauga
dushash wrote:
Aug 27th, 2016 2:18 am
Ducky wrote:
Aug 27th, 2016 2:15 am
dushash wrote:

Wind is wind...

Aha! Now I can reply with same thing you did: OP doesn't care which top tier network is it for What's up and basic internet :) However, if we were to choose from providers - of course Public Mobile is better in this scenario for OP. I agree
P.S. BTW I was first to suggest Public Mobile to OP in post #2 - I just don't want anyone to think I'm with Wind
I just think op wants reliable service... Lol