Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 8, 2007
385 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa

WindMobile Galaxy S3 - 4G

Just reading on the net that galaxy s3 from wind mobile does not have 4g or LTE speeds. I think the phone does have 4G and the source was incorrect.

I have limited knowledge of this stuff but would a firmware update give the Galaxy s3 t999 LTE capability in the future or does it need a hardware update (buying a new phone)? I only ask since I am currently with Wind and will be moving in a year or so to an area where I will need to switch back to rogers.
25 replies
Jun 11, 2009
767 posts
81 upvotes
Mississauga
Source was correct. Wind GS3 isn't LTE capable. No software can enable it for you. Its a hardware aspect. However, you can trade it with some1 who has Robellus GS3 which has LTE. Or buy a new one.
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9450 posts
884 upvotes
lol

sometimes people just want to believe what they want to believe
Babbsy wrote:
Nov 13th, 2012 11:30 am
Just reading on the net that galaxy s3 from wind mobile does not have 4g or LTE speeds. I think the phone does have 4G and the source was incorrect.

I have limited knowledge of this stuff but would a firmware update give the Galaxy s3 t999 LTE capability in the future or does it need a hardware update (buying a new phone)? I only ask since I am currently with Wind and will be moving in a year or so to an area where I will need to switch back to rogers.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Banned
Apr 12, 2011
815 posts
105 upvotes
depends on what you call "4g"
there was no such thing as 4g until this year..
standards for 4g= 100mbps mobile interwebs
lte last year=maxed out at 75mbps, lte advanced this year=150mbps
dchspa=42mbps, mimomulticell dchspa= 168mbps
depends on how you look at it.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
Babbsy wrote:
Nov 13th, 2012 11:30 am

Wind S3 will not work with Rogers/Telus/Bell.
Rogers/Telus/Bell S3 will not work with Wind/Mobilcity.

You will need new hardware.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9450 posts
884 upvotes
it'll work with big 3 but not lte
gman wrote:
Nov 13th, 2012 5:09 pm

[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
May 17, 2012
129 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
gman wrote:
Nov 13th, 2012 5:09 pm

The above stated is not correct.

A Wind or Mobilicity S3 will also work with Bell/Telus/Rogers/Fido/Virgin/Koodo/Solo/Telus/Petro-Can/Sears. It will not have LTE though .. and thats a definite answer as of current technology and current antenna flashing mods available.

As for 4G, depends on how you define 4G. What Rogers calls 4G and what Mobilicity calls 4G are two different things.

A better questions for you is ...... which company's 4G or LTE are you trying to achieve with this phone?
Sep 19, 2012
5 posts
WATERLOO
Will the wind galaxy s3 work with the Telus LTE network if I get it unlocked?
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2006
1359 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver
Hold on is this ONLY for s3? What about the Note II? I recall someone posting an unlock code for the Note 2 and someone said they were able to use it with Fido and other providers.

So is this a limitation only with the S3?
Nov 11, 2012
876 posts
111 upvotes
Mississauga
harryt wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 3:27 am
Hold on is this ONLY for s3? What about the Note II? I recall someone posting an unlock code for the Note 2 and someone said they were able to use it with Fido and other providers.

So is this a limitation only with the S3?
WIND phones are all unlocked meaning they are not locked to WIND network only. You can take out the sim and put a Rogers or whoever else's sim in from anywhere in the world and it will work. This is strictly for LTE you can not add it to the WIND S3. You could of bought a Rogers S3 and used it on WIND, but they don't offer LTE so it would not have helped you. Only when switching to someone who does offer LTE will it work.
Jun 2, 2010
517 posts
28 upvotes
shmogt wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 1:48 pm
WIND phones are all unlocked meaning they are not locked to WIND network only. You can take out the sim and put a Rogers or whoever else's sim in from anywhere in the world and it will work. This is strictly for LTE you can not add it to the WIND S3. You could of bought a Rogers S3 and used it on WIND, but they don't offer LTE so it would not have helped you. Only when switching to someone who does offer LTE will it work.
The only factory unlocked phone at WIND is the Galaxy Nexus, which was factory unlocked for all providers.
Sep 19, 2012
5 posts
WATERLOO
Would it be worth it if I can get the wind s3 for half the price of the Rogers/Telus/Bell version? No difference at all except LTE capability? It should be worth it still if so right? Since LTE isn't like WAYYY faster than 3G. I can wait like 1-2 second longer for a web page to load lol
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
speeddemon wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 3:28 am
Would it be worth it if I can get the wind s3 for half the price of the Rogers/Telus/Bell version? No difference at all except LTE capability? It should be worth it still if so right? Since LTE isn't like WAYYY faster than 3G. I can wait like 1-2 second longer for a web page to load lol
I have just done a quick test with my Rogers S3 with Rogers network.

LTE: 17392 kbps (It reached 43627 kbps before)
HSPA ("4G" indicated by the phone and may be the same as 3G): 5072 kbps
There is no 3G setting in my phone but it has GSM setting (E) and you don't care about E.

The difference is: getting everything instantly or wait. If it is about the difference of waiting 5 seconds and 7 seconds, I would not care either. But it is more or less the difference between wait and no wait (like 0). Based on my experience, LTE is faster than wifi connections most of the time.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
× < >