• Sep 25th, 2013 10:21 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 19, 2012
5 posts
WATERLOO
gman wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 10:39 am
I have just done a quick test with my Rogers S3 with Rogers network.

LTE: 17392 kbps (It reached 43627 kbps before)
HSPA ("4G" indicated by the phone and may be the same as 3G): 5072 kbps
There is no 3G setting in my phone but it has GSM setting (E) and you don't care about E.

The difference is: getting everything instantly or wait. If it is about the difference of waiting 5 seconds and 7 seconds, I would not care either. But it is more or less the difference between wait and no wait (like 0). Based on my experience, LTE is faster than wifi connections most of the time.
No wait really? My friends iPhone 5 with Rogers LTE network does have a wait time to load a web page. It was actually pretty long load time too like 5-7 seconds when we were downtown Toronto so I wouldn't mind having just 3G instead of LTE to get winds version of the galaxy s3 for half the price of Rogers/Telus/Bells version of the s3
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6348 posts
777 upvotes
A webpage really doesnt cut it. Try loading a youtube video in HD
Sep 19, 2012
5 posts
WATERLOO
So you would pay $250 extra to get the LTE version that loads an HD YouTube video 10 seconds faster ?
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
speeddemon wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 12:19 pm
So you would pay $250 extra to get the LTE version that loads an HD YouTube video 10 seconds faster ?
1. it is not just 10 seconds faster.
2. I have a contract and I am not paying $250 extra. Yes, I pay more for the service. I paid about $100 and a bit for the phone.
3. If we are only talking about the phone hardware alone itself, my daughter paid more for her Wind S3 on a 3 year tab than my Rogers' S3 on a 3 year contract. About $250 more.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
speeddemon wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 11:48 am
No wait really? My friends iPhone 5 with Rogers LTE network does have a wait time to load a web page. It was actually pretty long load time too like 5-7 seconds when we were downtown Toronto so I wouldn't mind having just 3G instead of LTE to get winds version of the galaxy s3 for half the price of Rogers/Telus/Bells version of the s3
The last time I compared with my friend who has a iPhone 5 with LTE with Rogers, my S3 loaded a lot faster than his at that particular moment and that particular place.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Nov 11, 2012
876 posts
111 upvotes
Mississauga
speeddemon wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 3:28 am
Would it be worth it if I can get the wind s3 for half the price of the Rogers/Telus/Bell version? No difference at all except LTE capability? It should be worth it still if so right? Since LTE isn't like WAYYY faster than 3G. I can wait like 1-2 second longer for a web page to load lol
Usually the WIND phones are slightly more expensive from what I have seen. If you are going to buy it straight out go to Mobilicity as they sell the cheapest phones around. They use the same network as WIND so anything offered there will work anywhere. If you can get a unlocked Rogers phone for cheaper than in my opinion it is the better move. Just because later if you switch carriers or sell it you have the option of LTE. Right now I agree LTE is good, but whatever I wait a couple seconds for a page to load however in the future it will be the standard and more people will want the LTE phones.
gman wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 10:39 am
I have just done a quick test with my Rogers S3 with Rogers network.

LTE: 17392 kbps (It reached 43627 kbps before)
HSPA ("4G" indicated by the phone and may be the same as 3G): 5072 kbps
There is no 3G setting in my phone but it has GSM setting (E) and you don't care about E.

The difference is: getting everything instantly or wait. If it is about the difference of waiting 5 seconds and 7 seconds, I would not care either. But it is more or less the difference between wait and no wait (like 0). Based on my experience, LTE is faster than wifi connections most of the time.
Just wondering if you compared HSPA+ as well? That would be the closest thing to LTE, but for me on WIND I don't get offered it in many areas.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
shmogt wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 2:40 pm
Just wondering if you compared HSPA+ as well? That would be the closest thing to LTE, but for me on WIND I don't get offered it in many areas.
I don't think Rogers supports HSPA+. At least, my phone does not give me that option to switch to.
It has 3 options: LTE, HSPA and GSM.
Or, its HSPA setting is indeed HSPA+ because the phone shows 4G when I switch it to HSPA.
If I have to compare with Wind's connection (my daughter is using a Wind S3 with Wind service), it is not exactly apple to apple. Regardless, mine (LTE) is significantly faster than her connection.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2006
1359 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver
gman wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 3:03 pm
I don't think Rogers supports HSPA+. At least, my phone does not give me that option to switch to.
It has 3 options: LTE, HSPA and GSM.
Or, its HSPA setting is indeed HSPA+ because the phone shows 4G when I switch it to HSPA.
If I have to compare with Wind's connection (my daughter is using a Wind S3 with Wind service), it is not exactly apple to apple. Regardless, mine (LTE) is significantly faster than her connection.
I guess if you need the speed it's worth it. I tried the Note 2 with wind and the speeds for me were pretty reasonable. I don't have any complaints and I'm only a semi heavy user of data. Youtube worked well enough and as long as there is no lag I am fine with it. I'm sure over time Wind will have fast data too.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1831 posts
153 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
I tried hspa+ with bell and if the network is not congested then the speeds are great. I got 20 Mbps down and 7 up when I checked yesterday in stouffville. Today in Cambridge I got only 5 down 3 up. Its still decent enough for regular usage. (= to DSL connection at home)
Sep 24, 2013
1 posts
I currently have a samsung GsIII with wind mobile. Would it be possible to buy another one online and just switch over the sim card because mine has a cracked screen and it would probably be around the same price as getting it fixed?
× < >