Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 2, 2011
5 posts
1 upvote
NORTH YORK

Window City & Century window and doors "Customer beware" please read

I had windows installed by Century Window @ (877 Alness). They were Window City windows (Steeles) I did shop around prices were very similar. Went with them because of the guarantee and size of company. Very bad choice. Window were installed in 2007 and I am still fighting with them to fix the issues next step Small Claims court :( Originally only want patio door replaced (sons bed room) North facing bedroom. With the original door I was getting Ice build up on the inside????

Century's Sales person stated it was because of the steele frame getting to cold. Long story short ordered all new windows and door. Service ok 3 month later window arrived and installed everything seemed great. Untill the first winter. Son room colder then ever. Ice on glass and frame??? Called Century told me to deal with Window City. Called them they sent a repair person out he stated the door was not sitting properly adjusted and left. No difference. Ice was still building??? Window city came out about 4x they even changed the insullation around the frame to a thicker one. No help. After years finally a "supervisor" came out told me not sure if it even was a Window City door. Stated Frame is warped???? I was told to deal with Century. Century stated we just install them Window City must replace it. Back and Forth Back and Forth no window replaced I have to put up plastic every year. Century stated I will have to do this every year and it is normal??? Front Living room window whistles. Found out poor instullation. Basement windows leak was told by Window City repair guy to place Cotton and the bottom of where the window meet this should help. WHAT stated THIS IS NORMAL BASEMENT WINDOWS ALWAY LEAK NOTHING IS 100% AIR TIGHT. Window City even ordered a home seal inspection done where we all paid $25.00 each the results were door leaks. The "supervisor" even did the smoke test to see if it was air tight. SURPRISE it leaked at the centre and along the right side of the door. However no one will replace it. They both say, CENTURY SHOULD CHANGE IT CENTURY SAYS WINDOW CITY SHOULD CHANGE IT. I am still fighting with them after 4 years. Kept all e-mails going back and forth. I even said if this does not get resolved I will go to small claims court. Window City said go after Century they ordered the windows and installed them. Century said it is a manufacture problem go after Window City. I was also told by Century several times " you get what you pay for" keep in mind they quoted the price and I said ok.. I did not as for a bargin or a discount????

This morning my thermostate stated 15c that is cold. not to mention my gas bill went up rather then down.

All I can say don't look at just the windows but also the company installing them.. I did call a few clients to see if they were happy with the windows and service they all said yes highly recommended. But what company gives you customer names and numbers who are not happy with service. I did do all my home work but still not happy.

All I can say is buyer beware > :( > :( > :( and don't give up keep fighting I will not stop until the problem is solved.. Be sure to keep every conversation in writting.
10 replies
Mar 6, 2007
950 posts
61 upvotes
Man. that sucks. I have Window City windows (installed by Primeview in Newmarket), and they have been great so far. No condensation, no ice, and, well, warmer than the storm windows I had before. But then, using a sheet of plastic over the window, would have been warmer.

I am seeing how it goes this winter, and if all goes well, will go back to Window City again next spring..

but it sucks that you have to deal with the problems :(
Jul 30, 2003
899 posts
102 upvotes
I installed 15 Window City windows with a private installer, I haven't had a single issue.
Previous to that i had single pane mid-60's windows that had ice and frost form... I haven't had that happen since replacing the windows.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4295 posts
858 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I had Window City windows installed by another installer, and everything's great. It's been almost 2 yrs now, and no issues. We had install issues, and my installer was very prompt and courteous at repairing those.

I'm sorry OP you had a bad install. Don't blame the manufacturer, it's most likely your installer that's the bad link.
[OP]
Oct 2, 2011
5 posts
1 upvote
NORTH YORK
I agree it is the poor installer. However why would Window City not step in and replace the patio door sine they agreed that the frame is warped that should fall under the guarntee.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
2931 posts
530 upvotes
Toronto
i think they meant... warped caused by bad installation. manufacture will only guarentee it from manufacture defect (something wrong from the factory or wrong due to design).
serahdifo wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2011 12:46 pm
I agree it is the poor installer. However why would Window City not step in and replace the patio door sine they agreed that the frame is warped that should fall under the guarntee.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1067 upvotes
Mississauga
Based on what I've read I would recommend you get everything in writing and even though there are no pictures available, based one the information given, I'd say it's an installation issue.
[OP]
Oct 2, 2011
5 posts
1 upvote
NORTH YORK
After thinking about another winter and another cold bedroom because of the sliding door. I sent yet another e-mail to Window City and addressed it to customer service, co-owner and another person that I have been dealing with over the past 4 years. To my surprise a few hours later I got a call from Jeff Sadr one of the co-owners with concerns why this still has not been resolved and how many visits to the home. Shocked he personally asked if he could come out to see the problem for himself. This made me very comfortable. Finally manybe someone will get this issue resolved. Thank you

Again I just want to say. When buying windows and doors don't just look into the specs of the windows but also the company that will be doing the installation. Poor installation means poor windows even if they are not of poor quality.

I just want to thank Jeff Sadr for your prompt reply. I am hopefull that this issue will finally be resolved. Some times there is a rainbow at the end of a dark tunnel.
Jul 22, 2008
49 posts
serahdifo wrote:
Oct 4th, 2011 11:12 am
good day, can you tell me if your issue with Window City has been resolve? I am in the process of preping small claim court papers for both window city and the company that installed my windows. Please let me know ASAP. Thank you.

The problems have not been solved.

The company even not respond to my request. I put everything at BBB and BBB talk to Window City but still no result.

People told me that the company installed windows and doors for me had relation with Window City, that means I never can win.

You can count me if you wanna go for small claim court.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1058 posts
50 upvotes
London ON
serahdifo wrote:
Oct 4th, 2011 11:12 am
After thinking about another winter and another cold bedroom because of the sliding door. I sent yet another e-mail to Window City and addressed it to customer service, co-owner and another person that I have been dealing with over the past 4 years. To my surprise a few hours later I got a call from Jeff Sadr one of the co-owners with concerns why this still has not been resolved and how many visits to the home. Shocked he personally asked if he could come out to see the problem for himself. This made me very comfortable. Finally manybe someone will get this issue resolved. Thank you

Again I just want to say. When buying windows and doors don't just look into the specs of the windows but also the company that will be doing the installation. Poor installation means poor windows even if they are not of poor quality.

I just want to thank Jeff Sadr for your prompt reply. I am hopefull that this issue will finally be resolved. Some times there is a rainbow at the end of a dark tunnel.

update?!