Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 28, 2012
8 posts
MISSISSAUGA

Window City and Macro Renovations

Hi,

We are considering Window City for our 12 windows and one door in our house. Unfortunately they are just a manufacturer, so we found Macro Renovations as an installer.

We've done a lot of research and were considering North Star and Atlantic windows too, but the Window City is around $2000-$3000 less expensive. What we've been hearing is that Window City is a much inferior product than the other two. It may be a sales pitch

i've checked out references for window city and macro...all very good...but that was only 3 references...was hoping for a lot more

Can anybody answer the following:

1. Experience with Window City

2. Experience with Marco renovations

cheers
15 replies
[OP]
Mar 28, 2012
8 posts
MISSISSAUGA
thanks for the response

i dealt with Ambia...Tony was great...

i don't think they are a window city supplier....i thought they dealt with vinyl something as a supplier

the quote was one of the higher ones
Mar 6, 2007
950 posts
59 upvotes
I've had five windows in my home replaced with Window City windows about 1.5 years ago. The installer was Primeview windows in New Market. Triple pane, low-e, etc. etc.

I have to admit that compared to the windows I've had before, they are fantastic. I got four casement windows and a picture window. The mechanism on the casement window LOOKS pretty good, but I think it could be a bit better. However, given the price, and how well they retain energy compared to the old windows, I'm very very happy with it.

I got a simple retrofit install, as well. I would go with Primeview and Window City again when we get the main windows redone, but I think I would go for the brick-to-brick installation then.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3638 posts
458 upvotes
Richmond Hill
windowhunt wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2012 1:22 pm
thanks for the response

i dealt with Ambia...Tony was great...

i don't think they are a window city supplier....i thought they dealt with vinyl something as a supplier

the quote was one of the higher ones

I'm pretty sure they use Window City.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6026 posts
968 upvotes
Mississauga
The only feedback I can give you is with Northstar windows. We has 12 windows replaced and used there lead installer. We couldn't be happier as they did a lot of extra's no charge. Couple days later our neighbours also went with Northstar and they're also happy with both the windows and the same installers. I think the installers can make or break the deal. Brook windows was able to beat the best price we got and they were on time and cleaned up after the install and laid blankets throughout the house and wore the booties.
[OP]
Mar 28, 2012
8 posts
MISSISSAUGA
THanks for the responses all...i hope there will be more

re. ambia windows...i just checked my files and it indicates the manufacturer is vinylebilt windows not window city

i've emailed primeview to get a quote..thanks

really would want to know...is North Star worth the $2000 more than Window city

any more comments for Window city and their installer Macro renovations will be great...or sharp exteriors and the north star window
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3638 posts
458 upvotes
Richmond Hill
windowhunt wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2012 3:27 pm
THanks for the responses all...i hope there will be more

re. ambia windows...i just checked my files and it indicates the manufacturer is vinylebilt windows not window city

i've emailed primeview to get a quote..thanks

really would want to know...is North Star worth the $2000 more than Window city

any more comments for Window city and their installer Macro renovations will be great...or sharp exteriors and the north star window

I think the key here is:

1. Half of the equation is Window City. Their products are good value, and so some will indicate that there's better quality and thus pricier manufacturers out there.

2. The other half of the equation is the installer. Most people here will tell you that even if you get the best manufacturer churning out the best made products, but shoddy workmanship from the installer, the entire project will be ruined and you'll be left with a huge headache. Having said that, why are you set on Macro Renovations despite them only having 3 references? If you're already spending the $$ on getting 12 windows and 1 door done, why not get an installer with much more references and save yourself the headache? Why gamble on a few thousand dollars?
[OP]
Mar 28, 2012
8 posts
MISSISSAUGA
Thanks Nyik

marco renos do have more than 3 references...but i went in person to check three...Michael from macro has been good...and seems honest...the three references are happy...doesn't have anything on homestars or anywhere else...seems like he's been in business for at least 12 years...at least from his web site...

i'm not set on macro renos...if there is a better installer that can be recommended that deals with window city please let me know

Re. North Star...same applies for them....installer (sharp exteriors) seems to be good and references check out...reading on windows it seems as though the North Star product is a superior to window city...but what do i know...i'm just gathering info
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3638 posts
458 upvotes
Richmond Hill
A quick check online suggests that Macro Renovations is not registered with BBB. They also are not listed on homestars. They are also not widely mentioned on the massive windows/doors thread. Those 3 items raises quite a large flag about the installer, and I would personally stay away from them. There other companies with much more reviews and online presence that RFDers have used, and Macro does not seem to be one of them.

My 0.02.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3638 posts
458 upvotes
Richmond Hill
windowhunt wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2012 4:27 pm
Thanks Nyik

marco renos do have more than 3 references...but i went in person to check three...Michael from macro has been good...and seems honest...the three references are happy...doesn't have anything on homestars or anywhere else...seems like he's been in business for at least 12 years...at least from his web site...

i'm not set on macro renos...if there is a better installer that can be recommended that deals with window city please let me know

Re. North Star...same applies for them....installer (sharp exteriors) seems to be good and references check out...reading on windows it seems as though the North Star product is a superior to window city...but what do i know...i'm just gathering info

Good to see that you've been do the massive windows thread, which is a great place to start - albeit information overload!

Once you've learned the terminology, you'll get a basic understanding of what kind of window is good value for you, and then you can start narrowing the manufacturers, which ultimately helps you narrow down the installer.
Oct 1, 2008
387 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Have you visited their location? Do they have a store, metro licences, insurance, WSIB coverage? Go inspect some installations they have completed as well. I have never heard of this company and I have been in the business a long time. They may be a good company but when I google the name and 1111 Finch Ave.West comes up I would get nervous as hell as this is where most boiler rooms in the window industry are located. If you had yellow pages going back 20 years you will find about 100 window companies have used this address and many are still there. Most in the days of telemarketing, and using 2 or 3 names to give you estimates.

Window City also does not have the greatest reviews on Home Stars for service. They are a fairly average window if you want average and low price, with probably not to much after sales service you have the right mix.

I suggest you try a Window Wise Certified contractor with a better quality product like one of the following manufactures: VWD, North Star, Oran, Staussberger, Euro Vinyl, Gentek, and Ostaco.

http://www.windowwise.com/canadian-window-dealers.php
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1436 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
Windows look nice and no problems at all.

A lot quieter than out single pane 1960's.

Conpany was all county aluminum (homestar-great reviews), Surge was a pleasure to deal with.

We have used his company to get window capping, did all our eavestrough several years ago.

My Neighbour used him for all his windows, eavestrough and roof.

Very professional.

I think the windows are good, but at the end it comes down to the installation.

Cheers!
RFD priceless!
Apr 3, 2012
7 posts
OSHAWA
windowhunt wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2012 4:27 pm
Thanks Nyik

Hey windowhunt!

How goes your adventure into the wild and crazy world of window replacement? HAHA, I did it recently and it was frustrating cause of how many companies are out there and how many "sales" guys give different stories and such. I spent a lot of time researching and visits with companies and ended up using Ultima Home Improvements in Woodbridge.

here's the linky for my post > http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-w ... 33922/227/

I found them to be really easy to deal with and they use Vinylbilt windows, who I found to be very reputable with all the available information I found on the interwebs, not to mention their factory is in Vaughn and I was able to go see the process. Basically everything was very "transparent" and easy to deal with.

My experience with a Window City guy/installer wasn't so good. I found him through Kijiji and his ad said something like " tired of sales guys taking your money? I have no sales guys to pay commission's to so I can give the best price" When I called the guy he told me to measure the windows and then he'd negotiate the price.. Seriously? I had no clue what I was doing and this guy maybe was cheap, but what happens if I made a wrong measurement? I didn't even know brick to brick or retro fit was different. Anyways I decided that it's probably a better thing to go with a company that has sales people that have knowledge and even though I knew I was going to hear so many different opinions from people trying to sell their product, at least if they said something bad about another product I would have the ammunition to straight out ask the rep for that product about the "flaw" I heard about from the previous sales guy. So, it gave me the ability to ask the right questions.

Anyways, give Chris a call at Ultima Home Improvements, he's not a seasoned sales guy (that's for sure, lol) so he is really easy to deal with and if he doesn't know the answer he won't try and make something up, he'll tell you he doesn't know and he goes and finds out the answer. I like them a lot as they are young guys that seem to have a real interest in doing things right.
[OP]
Mar 28, 2012
8 posts
MISSISSAUGA
Thanks for the info and help to all

I ended up going with Sharp Exteriors and the North Star window

Kyle from Sharp was one of the first window companies we looked at back in January. We should have gone with him right from the start and trusted our gut. It would have saved us a lot time and aggrevation.

Kyle has been honest and straight forward right from the beginning. Never pressure, and always stood behind the North Star product and his crew.

After doing so much research we did find that the North Star window is one of the top ones that are out there (and it's Canadian is a bonus)

In the end, paying a bit more made more sense....

We just signed the contract yesterday and are happy with our decsion. Hopefully all will work out

No windows installed yet...but, for professionalism i definatley recommend Kyle and Sharp Exteriors

cheers
× < >