Home & Garden

Window condensation cause of extreme cold?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 6:19 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5213 posts
2118 upvotes
Paris
rjp123 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:56 am
We have double-cell shades on our windows. This adds 2.8 to 3.0 depending on whether or not one has blackout shades (I do not). See here for shades R: https://cellularwindowshades.com/conten ... treatments
I have seen this before and that would make cellular shades the best insulator there is. If this stat is true, why aren’t we filling our walls with cellular shades?

It’s funny the only places I see this bollocks is on shade supplier websites.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2841 posts
591 upvotes
Oshawa
BenK wrote:
Dec 31st, 2017 11:13 pm
It hasn't been an issue for me in years past but almost every window on the ground and 2nd floor has an insane amount of condensation right now. To the point where it's pooling on the bottom window sill.

Is it due to the extreme cold? Seems unlikely all my windows decided to fail simultaneously.

The ecobee3 is only registering 34% humidity on the ground floor.
Talking about this???

IMG_20190111_081052.jpg
IMG_20190111_081114.jpg
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Mar 22, 2017
165 posts
130 upvotes
Jerico wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 1:14 am
I have seen this before and that would make cellular shades the best insulator there is. If this stat is true, why aren’t we filling our walls with cellular shades?

It’s funny the only places I see this bollocks is on shade supplier websites.
Here's an actual, tested report.

http://www.residentialenergylaboratory. ... hades.html

As you suspected, the 2.8-3.0 number is nonsense, but the actual number can still be kind of interesting. Double-cell blackout cellular blinds WITH side seals can deliver about R 2.0 at -7C (the R-value drops as the temperature outside drops). without side seals, it's about 0.75
May 1, 2007
197 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
grumble wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:45 am
without side seals, it's about 0.75
Better than 0! And I didn't buy the shades for the R - so anything is gravy IMO.
Mar 22, 2017
165 posts
130 upvotes
rjp123 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:38 pm
Better than 0! And I didn't buy the shades for the R - so anything is gravy IMO.
Agreed! I'm planning to order some myself, since I need new window treatments all over the place and they're pretty cheap (for blinds). Did you order yours online (or where did you get them), are you satisfied with the quality, and did you get any for windows that are quite wide, both overall and relative to their height?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5213 posts
2118 upvotes
Paris
grumble wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:45 am
As you suspected, the 2.8-3.0 number is nonsense, but the actual number can still be kind of interesting. Double-cell blackout cellular blinds WITH side seals can deliver about R 2.0 at -7C (the R-value drops as the temperature outside drops). without side seals, it's about 0.75
I can see some insulation value with side seals for sure. 2 layers of honeycombed paper is bound to do SOMETHING. Even just a blind without seals is another barrier sure. But selling it based on r-value is nonsense.

I have them all over my house and without question they do seperate warm room from cold window. On a stupid cold night at the cottage when the wind is whipping off the lake I put down the blind and cover the whole window with a bedspread in my kids room as the furnace just never really reaches it right.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.