• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2016 3:30 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 24, 2008
817 posts
68 upvotes

Window well and grading

Had a waterproofing company give me a quote for the above jobs. The house is old, so no weeping tiles, I suspect.

The work being done is on two sides of the house (north and south). Each side has 2 windows. One side is covered in dirt, the other is an asphalt driveway.

The proposed plan is to excavate down to the footings (about 5ft down and 30ft length wise on each side), install some weeping tiles that get connected to a sump pump, layer of aquaseal, yellow jacket, aquaseal, install drainage board, bring in weeping tiles to sump pump (around 16ft from one side and 3-4ft from the other side), cover with clear stone, backfill and tamper down soil, clean up, fix grading issue on the side with the soil. This does *NOT* include redoing the small portion of the driveway with asphalt (another few hundred bucks, let's say).

Total cost: $11,000.

Does that sound fair? I was thinking mid-thousands would be the highest quote I would receive, so either I'm clearly off or the quote is expensive (the guy seemed like a very decent chap though).

Thanks
4 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3097 posts
474 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Sounds like more than just a window will and grading. Sounds like a more than partial waterproofing.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
eednapes wrote: Had a waterproofing company give me a quote for the above jobs. The house is old, so no weeping tiles, I suspect.

The work being done is on two sides of the house (north and south). Each side has 2 windows. One side is covered in dirt, the other is an asphalt driveway.

The proposed plan is to excavate down to the footings (about 5ft down and 30ft length wise on each side), install some weeping tiles that get connected to a sump pump, layer of aquaseal, yellow jacket, aquaseal, install drainage board, bring in weeping tiles to sump pump (around 16ft from one side and 3-4ft from the other side), cover with clear stone, backfill and tamper down soil, clean up, fix grading issue on the side with the soil. This does *NOT* include redoing the small portion of the driveway with asphalt (another few hundred bucks, let's say).

Total cost: $11,000.

Does that sound fair? I was thinking mid-thousands would be the highest quote I would receive, so either I'm clearly off or the quote is expensive (the guy seemed like a very decent chap though).

Thanks
This sounds about right. I don't think you can do this for much cheaper than this. You can call around but I'd say give or take 15% is what you are going to be quoted.
Jan 24, 2008
817 posts
68 upvotes
eldeejay wrote: Sounds like more than just a window will and grading. Sounds like a more than partial waterproofing.
Well, I'm not very technically inclined when it comes to this stuff. I did originally knly want window wells, but since the house has no weeping tiles, then new ones will need to be installed. And since that requires excavation around the perimeter of the house, then why not waterproof the exterior anyways?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1852 posts
879 upvotes
Toronto
OP, where are you located? We had Royal Work Corp do 1 side of our house (40 linear feet) in February. They dug by hand due to space constraints (shared walkway between mine and my neighbours house), doing an 8-10 ft section each day.

Broke and removed existing concrete, dug down to the footings, cleaned the wall, parged, aquablock, yellow jacket, 6mm plastic, Delta MS drainage board, weeping tile, 3/4 clear stone, backfilled, tamped, 3/4 stone finish on the top.

Price was $100 per linear foot. All these companies offer the same product at the end of the day. They did great work, and were the cheapest quote.

https://homestars.com/companies/2845956-royal-work-corp

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)