Windows 10 desktop constantly rebooting

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2017 11:01 am
[OP]
Mar 13, 2005
326 posts
32 upvotes

Windows 10 desktop constantly rebooting

Looking for a bit of advice. My windows 10 desktop has recently started rebooting itself. Once on, it's stays up and running for about 5-10 minutes, then reboots itself. It's a home built PC that's about 5 years old (Core 2 Quad Q6600).

Any suggestions where to start? I've removed all USB peripherals. I've read that it could be a driver issue, or maybe even a power supply. But I'm not sure how to diagnose driver problems.
22 replies
Sep 7, 2015
7 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa, ON
For what it's worth, I had a similar issue and it was caused by the ethernet port. The problem stopped when I disabled it. Also, any chance your CPU is overheating?
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1667 posts
494 upvotes
dumbass wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 12:22 pm
Looking for a bit of advice. My windows 10 desktop has recently started rebooting itself. Once on, it's stays up and running for about 5-10 minutes, then reboots itself. It's a home built PC that's about 5 years old (Core 2 Quad Q6600).

Any suggestions where to start? I've removed all USB peripherals. I've read that it could be a driver issue, or maybe even a power supply. But I'm not sure how to diagnose driver problems.
What do the windows log say
[OP]
Mar 13, 2005
326 posts
32 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 12:48 pm
What do the windows log say
Honestly, hadn't even thought of checking that. Will take a look when I get home from work.
[OP]
Mar 13, 2005
326 posts
32 upvotes
Unfortunately, the pc keeps crashing before I can get much out of the event viewer. And honestly, what I can see doesn't help too much.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
3985 posts
829 upvotes
Halifax
is it overheating? try running HWMonitor on it or going into BIOS to check temps.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1667 posts
494 upvotes
Try running windows in safe mode and see if it happens again. When you turn on the computer try going into the bios - it should show in there the cpu temperature. It shouldn't be anywhere near 70 celcius when it just booted.
Dec 11, 2003
842 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
Disconnect your C drive, find a spare harddrive, and install Windows 10 on the spare drive. Do any updates if needed. Keep it on and surf the web a bit on it. See if it reboots. If the computer does not reboot then it could be some corruption with a system file.

EDIT: If your CPU is overheating I think the computer is supposed to shut down and not reboot. But that's controlled by the motherboard. I don't remember if there are any options on what to do.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Mar 13, 2005
326 posts
32 upvotes
doesn't appear to be overheating...it's currently sitting around 35C.

I'll install Windows on my second drive, remove C, and see if that works.
Dec 11, 2003
842 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Mar 13, 2005
326 posts
32 upvotes
I think I spoke too soon on the overheating. I left the BIOS open to see if the temps climbed. It crashed, and when it came back up, while motherboard temp is ok, ICH temp was around 70C.

And my CPU fan is regsitering as 0 RPM, even though I can see it spinning.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1667 posts
494 upvotes
dumbass wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 3:46 pm
I think I spoke too soon on the overheating. I left the BIOS open to see if the temps climbed. It crashed, and when it came back up, while motherboard temp is ok, ICH temp was around 70C.

And my CPU fan is regsitering as 0 RPM, even though I can see it spinning.
At least you narrowed it down to hardware, and not windows. Could be as simple as reapplying the thermos paste then reseating the cpu, or changing the cpu fan. I don't know if ICH temperature at 70C is normal when you're in the bios.
[OP]
Mar 13, 2005
326 posts
32 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 3:58 pm
At least you narrowed it down to hardware, and not windows. Could be as simple as reapplying the thermos paste then reseating the cpu, or changing the cpu fan. I don't know if ICH temperature at 70C is normal when you're in the bios.
yeah, I think I'll try a new fan
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1682 posts
332 upvotes
Windsor
Those Q6600s run HOT in BIOS; shouldn't be 70°C, but I think the power savings features are turned off, and those chips are pigs on power.

Make sure the CPU fan is spinning. If it's not spinning, replace the fan. If it's a goofy fan, replace the cooler. If the fan was working, clean out the dust from the cooler (remove the fan, wipe off dust). For now, don't use a can of air; most of the dust can usually be removed pretty quickly with a QTip/napkin (if it's caked on, which I assume it is), and I've heard people can break their PCs somehow with those cans.

I'd disable Cool 'N Quiet in BIOS to have the CPU fan at full clip while testing. Run HWMonitor, and see temps in Windows; with fan @ full speed, your temps should be pretty low.

Then you'll want to run something like OCCT and see if you can get it to crash; if it detects a crash, it'll stop, and give you a ton of charts showing your system's vitals when the crash happened.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.