Computers & Electronics

Windows 10 desktop constantly rebooting

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2017 11:01 am
Jan 19, 2017
90 posts
15 upvotes
it could also be a failing power supply...unfortunately, there's no way to know other than ruling it out by trying a new PSU.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3567 posts
542 upvotes
Put a small fan against the computer and leave it running. Just to see if it is temperature related.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Jun 10, 2006
312 posts
29 upvotes
Something that I have occasionally helped my Windows friends with is to boot their computers using a Linux distro -- to see if the same hardware-ish behavior occurs. This can help to differentiate fundamental hardware failure (i.e. the same thing happens under Linux) from indirect Windows-controlled hardware malfunctioning.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4310 posts
2623 upvotes
North York
why rebooting, and not just shut down if it's overheating? Isn't that the standard procedure for overheating 'anything', cpu or gpu?
Even if it's PSU issue, shouldn't it just crash, and not rebooting?
Jan 19, 2017
90 posts
15 upvotes
^ in some BIOSes, there is an option which tells how to behave after a power-out event. if it's set to "turn on", then it'll boot the computer back on after a power failure, and if it's "stay off", then it'll make sure the computer stays off until the user turns it back on.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4310 posts
2623 upvotes
North York
darXider wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 10:27 am
^ in some BIOSes, there is an option which tells how to behave after a power-out event. if it's set to "turn on", then it'll boot the computer back on after a power failure, and if it's "stay off", then it'll make sure the computer stays off until the user turns it back on.
It's a setting for Power Outage.
Over heating doesn't do that, I haven't seen such. It would auto restart and auto restart over and over just at Bios stage, because it's overheating already.
[OP]
Mar 13, 2005
325 posts
32 upvotes
Just an update on this issue...installed a new power supply, no change. I then changed the CPU fan, and the PC has been up and running since then. Looks like I found the culprit.

Thanks everyone for your input and help to get this fixed!
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2338 posts
718 upvotes
Toronto
darXider wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 10:27 am
Interesting!
I've got a spare computer that is normally off which seems to start up after a power outage. Would this explain it?
What about a WOL setting somewhere?