• Dec 6th, 2018 7:20 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
6310 posts
1380 upvotes
Maple

Windows 10 on new SSD

Bought a new desktop, it came with 128GB SSD and activated W10 Home 64-bit but I want bigger SSD (I have new 500GB SSD). What is the best way doing this? I tried to download and setup 'Media Creation Tool' but it failed twice to write to USB (twice).
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
3643 posts
588 upvotes
You tried a different USB drive? Here is a list of cloning s/w. I normally use TrueImage that came with my SSD. If I need to create a bootable USB drive I use the rufus tool.
signature closed for renovation
Apr 17, 2014
707 posts
223 upvotes
Corunna, ON
Try a different USB stick, different name brand.

Failing that try another pc.

I had the same problem. Failed then tried another laptop, failed, then tried with another thumb drive (same brand) failed again.

Then tried a different thumb drive and another pc and it worked.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
6310 posts
1380 upvotes
Maple
I tried on 32GB Sandisk, formatted FAT32, on desktop W7 Pro 64-bit.
I tried on 8GB Patriot, formatted NTFS, on laptop W7 Pro 64 bit.
Both downloaded but failed during writing to USB sticks.
proplayer44 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 6:50 pm
Try a different USB stick, different name brand.

Failing that try another pc.

I had the same problem. Failed then tried another laptop, failed, then tried with another thumb drive (same brand) failed again.

Then tried a different thumb drive and another pc and it worked.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
1311 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
Why are you not trying to use Media Creation from your new desktop?

The cloning approach might work best - i recently tried doing this for my Thinkpad T450s, but encountered problems.
Decided to go for a fresh install of Windows Pro 64bit instead - was very easy, because the windows key was linked to the bios.
Did not have to enter anything to achieve activation.

This will not likely be the case for your desktop (depending on where you got it and how it was built).
Cloning should work best for you, given that it is a clean install.
I decided not to clone because my ssd was originally Windows 8.1 (upgraded to 10).
In other words - lots of not needed stuff taking up space.

I'm in the process of reading up legit apps that help tighten up privacy as much as possible, and remove bloatware that I do not want.
Will post what I find.
I'm more accustomed to using Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB, which is the least invasive version of a very invasive OS.
Nov 26, 2003
724 posts
1083 upvotes
Toronto
shikotee wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 7:54 pm
I'm in the process of reading up legit apps that help tighten up privacy as much as possible, and remove bloatware that I do not want.
Will post what I find.
I'm more accustomed to using Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB, which is the least invasive version of a very invasive OS.
Mind sharing your findings after you've achieved your final build?
If you're replying to people without quoting them, it's no different than talking to yourself...
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10939 posts
942 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
teoconca wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 5:42 pm
Bought a new desktop, it came with 128GB SSD and activated W10 Home 64-bit but I want bigger SSD (I have new 500GB SSD). What is the best way doing this?
- connect new SSD
- download and install the free version of Macrium Reflect -> https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
- run it and clone old SSD to new SSD (you may want to check Macrium's settings to resize partitions when cloning)
- to avoid any mix-ups, disconnect old SSD (for the time being)
- try booting to new SSD
- if it works, then you're good; if not, report back with what the issue is

I'm not sure why you're futzing around with the USB drive. Are you wanting to install Windows clean on the new SSD?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5705 posts
4056 upvotes
North York
i don't think he has an extra slot of the new ssd. That's why he's trying to create a USB to fresh install.
What's the error when it fails? Saying it fails doesn't give much clue.
May 27, 2009
470 posts
134 upvotes
Ottawa
Just to be clear are you having issues installing the Media Creator, or creating Window 10 boot media on USB? Those are 2 different steps and I had no issues doing either, on a very very old PC and USB key.

I just installed Windows 10 last weekend on a new mini-desktop.
:)
Jun 18, 2006
328 posts
9 upvotes
teoconca wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 6:56 pm
I tried on 32GB Sandisk, formatted FAT32, on desktop W7 Pro 64-bit.
I tried on 8GB Patriot, formatted NTFS, on laptop W7 Pro 64 bit.
Both downloaded but failed during writing to USB sticks.
I had this problem with the latest Media Creation Tool. Try formatting one of the USB sticks again to FAT32, move the downloaded MCT file to the USB stick and then run as admin.. that is what did it for me and allowing it to write to the USB stick properly and complete.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
6310 posts
1380 upvotes
Maple
Thanks for advice from everyone. The problem is solved by doing other way.

My PC came with 'grey out' yes button for admin access whenever asking to install programs.

Anyway I ended up resetting the PC (took 2hours) , this will allow me to setup W10 properly. The problem is solved now.
May 13, 2007
91 posts
28 upvotes
Lake of the Woods, N…
shikotee wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 7:54 pm
Will post what I find.
eternity525 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 9:41 pm
Mind sharing your findings after you've achieved your final build?
O&O ShutUp 10
My go to resource for this is MSFN - Where people go to know
Dec 4, 2018
2 posts
you could use a cloning software. as mentioned above and boot to the new hard drive, if it doesnt work thats ok because you still hvae the old one
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
1311 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
tooluser wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 10:16 pm
O&O ShutUp 10
My go to resource for this is MSFN - Where people go to know
I've heard this recommendation from several people, so have now used it.
I also used Spybot Anti Beacon, which allowed me to make some further adjustments.

Next step - research in finding some reliable replacements for my primary default apps: mail, maps, music player, photo viewer, video player, and web browser. Want to find best functionality with emphasis on respect for my privacy.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
6310 posts
1380 upvotes
Maple
Yup, I used Acronis for Crucial as my new SSD is Crucial. I cloned everything form smaller SSD. Everything worked fine, the system even booted from new SSD. I verified the 2 SSDs then I swapped the SSDs.
AutiieMaleak wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 10:43 pm
you could use a cloning software. as mentioned above and boot to the new hard drive, if it doesnt work thats ok because you still hvae the old one