Computers & Electronics

Windows 10 Pro key code for next to nothing?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2018 8:42 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5225 posts
792 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec

Windows 10 Pro key code for next to nothing?

I want to get the Window 10 operating system to add on a partition of my Mac and run that with boot camp.

When I look at the options of buying that, I come across dozens of ebay auctions for the activation key for essentially pennies.

Like this one, but there are dozens more
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-WINDOW ... SwFHZan8hf

For the price of the key, something is obviously not on the upand up....or maybe it is.
This guy sold over 1000 with no complaints.

Anyone have any insight what is going on?
Do these codes just suddenly get invalid and will Windows then no longer boot?
Or has someone outside Microsoft figured out the algorithm to generate the key.

I haven't looked at Windows for years so I have no clue how they now distribute software
Last edited by krs on Mar 18th, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
29 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
1696 posts
237 upvotes
Mississauga
Most of the time they are from oem systems. Systems that have been determined not in working condition and then I guess sold to recyclers. It will also say in the ebay ad that they are retired system and in certain countries ebays rules are they would have to send you the defective mobo too. I have bought like 5 keys about a year or so back haven't had any of the pcs deactivated. Office keys on the other hand have been a miss in my case.
krs wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 7:28 pm
I want to get the Window 10 operating system to add on a partition of my Mac and run that with boot camp.

When I look at the options of buying that, I come across dozens of ebay auctions for the activation key for essentially pennies.

Like this one, but there are dozens more
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-WIN...EAAOSwFHZan8hf

For the price of the key, something is obviously not on the upand up....or maybe it is.
This guy sold over 1000 with no complaints.

Anyone have any insight what is going on?
Do these codes just suddenly get invalid and will Windows then no longer boot?
Or has someone outside Microsoft figured out the algorithm to generate the key.

I haven't looked at Windows for years so I have no clue how they now distribute software
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1927 posts
515 upvotes
that link takes me to a bunch of vehicle oil filter listings on ebay...
May 17, 2017
14 posts
Buy as many as you need. I've bought 4 windows 7 keys from eBay because they were cheaper than windows 10 keys and I've never had an issue. They are keys from scrap computers.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5225 posts
792 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
vodka wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 8:56 pm
that link takes me to a bunch of vehicle oil filter listings on ebay...
Sorry, the ebay link got truncated somehow.
I just posted the link again and checked it - should be OK now
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
13711 posts
2859 upvotes
Markham
both a few from eBay
they all work and still working
Win 10 Pro
Office 2016 Pro
Server 2016 Essential
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
4777 posts
3543 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think they are from scrap systems, as the key is tied to the motherboard. They are probably exploiting/violating volume licensing or maybe MSDN subscriptions (not sure if that's still a thing for Windows 10?). The key has a chance to be blacklisted as some point in time, but I'm not sure how much Microsoft is actually enforcing this at the moment.

From my own research you cannot really get a legitimate key for lower than the regular retail price of $100 or so, anyone else who sells significantly below that is doing something dodgy to obtain the key.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1280 posts
513 upvotes
zentro wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 3:28 am
.... They are probably exploiting/violating volume licensing or maybe MSDN subscriptions (not sure if that's still a thing for Windows 10?). ...
Yes, various MSDN/VisualStudio/Azure/BizSpark/etc subscriptions provide numerous
retail and volume keys. I never saw or heard of such keys expired or been cancelled
in the end of subscription.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6459 posts
5029 upvotes
North York
zentro wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 3:28 am
I don't think they are from scrap systems, as the key is tied to the motherboard. They are probably exploiting/violating volume licensing or maybe MSDN subscriptions (not sure if that's still a thing for Windows 10?). The key has a chance to be blacklisted as some point in time, but I'm not sure how much Microsoft is actually enforcing this at the moment.

From my own research you cannot really get a legitimate key for lower than the regular retail price of $100 or so, anyone else who sells significantly below that is doing something dodgy to obtain the key.
scraps from windows 7 computers which still have their license key stickers. They all activate, windows 7 or 10.

Like our workplace, we have tons of computers that are being activated by our own internal server. All these windows 7 keys on the stickers from these computers are not/never used. When these computers get upgraded, they are usually tossed out in the recycle bins.

These keys are all on older computers, 4th gen and older though. Everything we get now have Windows 10 license attached to the board.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2444 posts
394 upvotes
Ottawa
konsensei wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 8:30 am
scraps from windows 7 computers which still have their license key stickers. They all activate, windows 7 or 10.

Like our workplace, we have tons of computers that are being activated by our own internal server. All these windows 7 keys on the stickers from these computers are not/never used. When these computers get upgraded, they are usually tossed out in the recycle bins.

These keys are all on older computers, 4th gen and older though. Everything we get now have Windows 10 license attached to the board.
Not necessarily, Windows comes pre-activated on these machines, these are OEM keys and your internal server does use these licenses (not keys though) to activate with single volume license key from your onsite deployment server.
Regardless, OEM key can't be sold without appropriate hardware, it is not transferable and should be destroyed after hardware is being tossed.
Buying these keys is still violation of MS EULA and not much different from stealing them.
IT Services provider in Ottawa area.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5225 posts
792 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
golden_m wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 12:01 pm
Buying these keys is still violation of MS EULA and not much different from stealing them.
Nobody seems to care.
It would be very easy and quick for ebay to shut down these auctions or for Microsoft to take some action via ebay.
But these ebayers, and there is a whole bunch of them, are selling thousands of these licenses in a manner that looks totally legit
Feb 13, 2017
622 posts
101 upvotes
Don't need to buy or activate Windows 10. You can install without a product key and run as unactivated indefinitely. There are a few inconveniences as unable to access accounts or sync your windows settings/preferences. Cannot directly change the background (ways around it). Plus a watermark saying it is unactivated.

This may change in a future update, but so far no issues or time restrictions if you do not activate.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1280 posts
513 upvotes
teamocil wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 12:25 pm
Don't need to buy or activate Windows 10. You can install without a product key and run as unactivated indefinitely. There are a few inconveniences as unable to access accounts or sync your windows settings/preferences. Cannot directly change the background (ways around it). Plus a watermark saying it is unactivated.

This may change in a future update, but so far no issues or time restrictions if you do not activate.

Right! and it is not necessary to go to school and then work.
Just go to street and steal money from people.
there are some restrictions, you have to run fast
and cover the face (ways around it)

It may change in future, but for a moment there is no time restrictions
if you do not turn youself over the police.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2444 posts
394 upvotes
Ottawa
krs wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 12:20 pm
Nobody seems to care.
It would be very easy and quick for ebay to shut down these auctions or for Microsoft to take some action via ebay.
But these ebayers, and there is a whole bunch of them, are selling thousands of these licenses in a manner that looks totally legit
So, why to buy then? Still violates the EULA, now you know that and can't say "did not know".
What's the point in asking question if mind has been already made?
IT Services provider in Ottawa area.