Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-Bit OEM (LICENSE + DOWNLOAD)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2016 10:22 am
Apr 13, 2017
183 posts
227 upvotes
Winnipeg
The lack of knowledge about Windows licensing is so strong in this thread

1) You can sell Digital ISO's of OEM Media, you dont require the pyhsical disk
2) OEM Operating systems are HEAVILY Discounted compared to retail channels, this price is pretty on par with an OEM Rate
3) OEM Operating Systems can activate online 25 times, however it's tied to your hardware ID. You cannot transfer it to another machine
4) OEM Operating systems must be sold with a piece of internal physical hardware, this can be something like a DVD Rom or a Digital Audio Cable for CD to Sound Card
Apr 13, 2017
183 posts
227 upvotes
Winnipeg
importpsycho wrote: I heard this too. Pretty crazy.
MS should just make it free. After all they are more interested in market share and can make more money else where.
Also incorrect, you can use Windows Insider (aka Constant on tech preview) with out a legitimate Product key. This is going to be changed soon however
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3538 upvotes
Burnaby
AFAIU from previous similar threads.

An OEM license sold alone is not completely legal as it should, in theory, be sold along with a PC [by system builders, see here and here, for example]. But, it might work (single-use, tied to hardware once activated). Some legit system builders and computer stores sell them, for example @ newegg. A W7Pro OEM license is probably upgreadable to W10Pro OEM -- but, if peeps run into trouble during a hardware change later on and W10 can't get reinstalled, they might need to do some explaining to persuade the CSR to reactivate it [phoning MS CS].

From NewEgg product description:
Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings.

What some peeps are saying about a pirated copy of W7 being upgradeable to W10 is partially true [it gets upgraded, but it doesn't get legitimized]. That upgraded license won't be eligible for W10 updates [I guess in the future people might develop some workarounds using offline updates, etc.] and probably will be marked as not-genuine with the usual nagware [after July 29th].

BTW, this deal should be in the Computers and Electronics Discussion forum.

It's always almost the same discussion every time that someone 'discovers' a place selling OEM or MSDN license keys at 'discounted' prices [keywords: reddit, key generators, piracy, blacklisted, MSDN, OEM, MAR, etc].
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
1097 posts
1288 upvotes
Damed wrote: So just because others do it justifies it? Who and how many do or don't do it has no bearing on the legality of the act.
No it's the whole practice what you preach thing. Otherwise the term "hypocrite" comes to mind - just sayin.

p.s. i hope you don't use Adblock either. That also "steals" revenue from web developers.
Feb 1, 2007
861 posts
167 upvotes
Aurora
Window 10 is Free. why this is a hot deal?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2009
2028 posts
545 upvotes
MTL
Wow, that's quite some misinformation there...
RobertL059 wrote: The lack of knowledge about Windows licensing is so strong in this thread
1) You can sell Digital ISO's of OEM Media, you dont require the pyhsical disk
Wrong. You need a COA. No COA = not legit. Even royalty OEM like Dell and HP have to sell it with a COA affixed to their machines.

You can buy an *UPGRADE* as digital, but you cannot ever buy an OEM as digital only.
RobertL059 wrote: 2) OEM Operating systems are HEAVILY Discounted compared to retail channels, this price is pretty on par with an OEM Rate
Wrong on both parts.

- OEM licenses are not heavily discounted -- they are sold to resellers under the condition that the reseller does the support. Not the same product.
- You can't even buy a standalone install of Windows retail box anymore (since Windows 8, only retail upgrade).
- $35 is NOT the running price for bonafide OEM copies.
- Most of the ones you do find on these shady sites are where someone scraped a COA off a machine or someone somehow bought royalty COAs which were supposed to be destroyed.

I've seen people buy from shady online places in the past and they would get HP, Dell and other royalty OEM stickers.

Resellers are not allowed to sell OEM licenses without the machine, and the name on the COA has to match the brand. And because of the way OEM preinstall works, not all of these stickers are actually ever activated.
RobertL059 wrote: 3) OEM Operating Systems can activate online 25 times, however it's tied to your hardware ID. You cannot transfer it to another machine
Wrong. You can't even activate it 10 times. The expectation is that most normal users will not reinstall like crazy. They expect you to buy SA/VL if you do that. As a regular user, you are better off making a drive image if you need to do that.
RobertL059 wrote: 4) OEM Operating systems must be sold with a piece of internal physical hardware, this can be something like a DVD Rom or a Digital Audio Cable for CD to Sound Card
The only thing that is right of all of these statements. System builder OEM can be sold with an internal part.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6685 posts
3696 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
The real question is whether or not MS is going to stand strong and stick with killing the free W10 upgrade come then end of July, or if they'll just continue on offering it the same way Apple does with their OS.
Seems kind of pointless to end it, as most people who would have done it either a) already upgraded or b) bought a newer PC with it pre-installed.
Any revenue from the odd stragglers who waited at this point would be moot.
Besides, they really want it in everyone's home, on devices, and tied in with the XBox.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1828 posts
574 upvotes
aviador wrote: AFAIU from previous similar threads.

An OEM license sold alone is not completely legal as it should, in theory, be sold along with a PC [by system builders, see here and here, for example]. But, it might work (single-use, tied to hardware once activated). Some legit system builders and computer stores sell them, for example @ newegg. A W7Pro OEM license is probably upgreadable to W10Pro OEM -- but, if peeps run into trouble during a hardware change later on and W10 can't get reinstalled, they might need to do some explaining to persuade the CSR to reactivate it [phoning MS CS].

From NewEgg product description:

What some peeps are saying about a pirated copy of W7 being upgradeable to W10 is partially true [it gets upgraded, but it doesn't get legitimized]. That upgraded license won't be eligible for W10 updates [I guess in the future people might develop some workarounds using offline updates, etc.] and probably will be market as not-genuine with the usual nagware [after July 29th].

BTW, this deal should be in the Computers and Electronics Discussion forum.

It's always almost the same discussion every time that someone 'discovers' a place selling OEM or MSDN license keys at 'discounted' prices [keywords: reddit, key generators, piracy, blacklisted, MSDN, OEM, MAR, etc].
pirated w7 does upgrade to w10 pro activated. ive clean installed afterwards just fine.
Penalty Box
Dec 16, 2013
1458 posts
520 upvotes
Mississauga
Damed wrote: One less Sale = loss of revenue

The EXACT same argument could be made if the person was unable to Steal it from the store. They may or may not purchase it. However because they stole it, they don't have to think about that

And the one in the store is just a copy too, after all. It's not the original

What didn't you understand? Because you downloaded it doesn't necessarily mean you would've bought it....

However if you steal it you are taking a product to sell and 100% stealing revenue from the company.

You obviously don't understand that a potential sale isn't the same as a definite sale. Which is exactly the difference.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4102 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
Damed wrote: No, actually. You are.

It is the same. Stealing software from BT and Google is no different than walking out of the store with a copy off the shelf under your jacket.

Exactly. The. Same.
No, actually, it's quite different.

I steal an iPod Shuffle from Wal*Mart and get caught, I'm looking at serving weekends and 40 hours community service.

I download, via BT a $10,000 software program and walk into the police station and tell them what I did, they'll tell me to bug off.

Very different. It's not saying that one is worse than the other, but here is one huge difference: I steal (via BT or online somehow) an expensive software program, one that I never planned to buy, their is no lost revenue. I go out and steal some diamond rings, this is definitely lost revenue that cannot be replaced.
Nov 14, 2010
361 posts
108 upvotes
jeff1970 wrote: No, actually, it's quite different.

I steal an iPod Shuffle from Wal*Mart and get caught, I'm looking at serving weekends and 40 hours community service.

I download, via BT a $10,000 software program and walk into the police station and tell them what I did, they'll tell me to bug off.

Very different. It's not saying that one is worse than the other, but here is one huge difference: I steal (via BT or online somehow) an expensive software program, one that I never planned to buy, their is no lost revenue. I go out and steal some diamond rings, this is definitely lost revenue that cannot be replaced.
Well thats because cops dont care. Try walking into the developers office and tell them you stole it.
Nov 19, 2009
450 posts
128 upvotes
Windsor
I'm utterly shocked at the amount of people giving Damed a hard time and trying to rationalize piracy here. Now I do it all the time - so yes, I'm a giant hypocrit - but he's right. The only thing that's worse about stealing a physical boxed copy from a store is your chances of getting caught. And this crazy idea that a box has a cost and a copy doesn't so it's totally kosher is idiotic... the value is not in the box (whose distribution cost we all know is largely insignificant. But hey, go shoplift a boxed copy of the software and argue to the judge if you get prosecuted that it's just a cardboard box with a piece of plastic and a few slips of paper, so what's the big deal?)
Dec 15, 2015
312 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm assuming COA is Certificate of Authenticity?

If that's the case, no COA does not necessarily mean illegal software. When I was studying in University a few years back, Microsoft had a program. I forgot the name. Something like Microsoft Developer Network. To sign up, you needed to sign up through the University's IT department and you'd need your University's email address to sign up. Anyway, its purpose was to provide free software to students to learn with and to use. The theory was, once the students get into the workforce, they'd be used to this software and would push the companies to get it. Or something like that. When I was there, each year would reset. You'd have to register again, but that meant new licenses. Maybe they changed it now, I don't know. I read that they shut down Dreamspark. That was another way to pick up free licenses.

Anyway, all the software I downloaded from this site came with product keys but no COAs. There was no physical media. Everything was digital. This was the same year Windows 7 was released. As a result, all the computers I built at home are installed with Windows 7 Professional.

Of course, as students, we weren't considered builders or whatever. I believe we were given these licenses under some academic provision.

However, the blanket statement no COA = fake copy is false. It's true in most cases. But there are others where the copies are legitimate. They just weren't meant to be sold.

As for this site, I don't know anything about their business practices to comment on whether or not these licenses are real or fake.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Mikliloo wrote: I'm assuming COA is Certificate of Authenticity?

If that's the case, no COA does not necessarily mean illegal software. When I was studying in University a few years back, Microsoft had a program. I forgot the name. Something like Microsoft Developer Network. To sign up, you needed to sign up through the University's IT department and you'd need your University's email address to sign up. Anyway, its purpose was to provide free software to students to learn with and to use. The theory was, once the students get into the workforce, they'd be used to this software and would push the companies to get it. Or something like that. When I was there, each year would reset. You'd have to register again, but that meant new licenses. Maybe they changed it now, I don't know. I read that they shut down Dreamspark. That was another way to pick up free licenses.

Anyway, all the software I downloaded from this site came with product keys but no COAs. There was no physical media. Everything was digital. This was the same year Windows 7 was released. As a result, all the computers I built at home are installed with Windows 7 Professional.

Of course, as students, we weren't considered builders or whatever. I believe we were given these licenses under some academic provision.

However, the blanket statement no COA = fake copy is false. It's true in most cases. But there are others where the copies are legitimate. They just weren't meant to be sold.

As for this site, I don't know anything about their business practices to comment on whether or not these licenses are real or fake.
There's no legit way to purchase these outside of academia.
These are also not to br resold so they don't count. We're talking about publicly available keys/coa in retail channels open to anyone.
Not special programs like this.

Technet (RIP) was the same idea.
I was allowed the full testing use of the entirety of Microsofts library.
That doesn't mean I'm entitled to use it on a production machine or sell the keys i got.

So yes, a blanket statement that no coa = fake is perfectly acceptable.
That's not to say a fake copy won't 100% work, but you're no better than a common pirate.
You're actually worse because you're now paying some schmuck upwards of $75 for a pirated copy.
p0nk1n wrote: It is 20$ here: https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftw ... s_781_pro/

Bought this for my parents and for myself 10 months ago and then upgraded to Win 10. No problems since.

EDIT: it's a retail key
No it's an MSDN key.
You paid someone $20 to pirate it for you.
Overpaid at that.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Also no I won't be revealing where I get my $2 keys either publicly or via PM.
It's not that hard to find if you know where to look.
Nov 26, 2014
359 posts
153 upvotes
Quebec
MSDN, retail, OEM and all these bla bla. As long as it says genuine and that everything works i'm good with that.

MSFT should just lower their price and a vast majority of ppl would buy it straight from them instead.
Dec 15, 2015
312 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto, ON
death_hawk wrote: So yes, a blanket statement that no coa = fake is perfectly acceptable.
As I mentioned, it's true in most cases. I don't have any COA. None of my licenses are fake.

If you're buying these licenses, then yes. A COA should be provided.
May 24, 2015
352 posts
164 upvotes
Williams Lake, BC
Go to reddits software swap and grab a key from there. I bought mine years ago for 10 dollars and I just upgraded it to Windows 10

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)