• Sep 25th, 2019 7:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
12640 posts
3192 upvotes
Montréal

Windows 7 protection ending

Got a msg that Win 7 will no longer be provided w security updates, so how would you proceed? My affected laptop is an ancient AMD A6 but otherwise still a competent computer for my purposes. Must I get a new computer or is there a way to keep it relevant/safe w/o any added cost?
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9822 posts
1933 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Upgrade to Windows 10 OR just continue using windows 7 and just make sure you have an active/updated antivirus program. It will still work just that you will not get any more security patches/bug fixes etc.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26040 posts
11487 upvotes

It's not like all my servers aren't already linux.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2647 posts
841 upvotes
Windsor
tranquility922 wrote: Got a msg that Win 7 will no longer be provided w security updates, so how would you proceed? My affected laptop is an ancient AMD A6 but otherwise still a competent computer for my purposes. Must I get a new computer or is there a way to keep it relevant/safe w/o any added cost?
Update to Windows 10 if you can; this is the only way to keep it relevant/safe ... though YMMV on it being free. FWIW: I've been upgrading PCs/laptops for the last few years, and they've ALL gotten digital licenses from Microsoft.

If you must keep Windows 7 (there's a chance your PC doesn't meet Win 10's requirements), just be sure to keep A/V up to date. The likelihood of there being a vulnerability in the Windows 7 OS that affects you is VERY low; it's way more likely you'll accidentally install a virus on your own computer, which an updated A/V should catch.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
4700 posts
3177 upvotes
Take it off the internet.

Seriously tho, I updated a 10 year old laptop with a cheap SSD and Windows 10. Even with 3GB of RAM, it's doing ok other than the flaky wifi driver. My 2013 Surface Pro with 4GB and 64GB SSD is also still going strong on Win10.

But check and see if there are win10 drivers support for your laptop before you upgrade tho. There are a lot of hardware that doesn't work well with standard drivers coming out of Win10 media. Win 10 media is a free download (https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/softwar ... /windows10) and most of the time the Win7 key on the bottom of your laptop should activate it if you install from scratch. Upgrading is very YMMV and not recommended. It's best to backup everything and start from scratch.

Of course, if this laptop is your only/daily driver, you may want to just buy a new one. Windows QA has been horrid since Win10 release and very YMMV on upgrades. And building from scratch means you don't have a laptop to use until and successful installation.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
2242 posts
1140 upvotes
Winnipeg
AMD A6 is not relevant now so don't worry about keeping it relevant :)

You can update it to WIn10 if you want. The "assistive technology upgrade" program still works. That will over many updates take you to 1803 and from there you can download the 1903 update from MS themselves,
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2220 posts
1480 upvotes
Markham
Is there a new computer going to be in the cards anyways? If so, then there's no point in worrying. If however you're still trying to keeping using this laptop and its an active one, then its certainly wiser to upgrade to any OS that will continue to have security updates. Your options then are Windows 10 or Linux, Mac OS qualifies too but almost strictly for Apple units as hackintosh support is even more flaky than Linux.

If you still want to use Windows 7 post 2020, 0patch is promising to unofficially patch Windows 7, so if you want to stick with W7 there's still an avenue. They're still mum about whether to offer their security patches for free though as 0patch is a paid service. No idea if they're any good either.

I personally have a love hate relationship with Windows 10. For me its a pity that deep down Windows 10 is certainly Microsoft's best OS, sadly its saddled with a lot of bad stuff be it Cortana, bloatware, telemetry, forced updates, etc. There is a version without the crap in it, but Microsoft doesn't want the average consumer to either know or use it and even that thing you need to debloat it a bit.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
12640 posts
3192 upvotes
Montréal
I would like to avoid buying a new computer. The Win7 is good enough for my use so don't want to make it obsolete, even though someone here said the A6 is already not relevant lol.

Ya, I remember just passing on the free Win10 upgrade when I first got my other Win8.1 computer...seemed like they had growing pains and 8.1 was good enough for me.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2220 posts
1480 upvotes
Markham
tranquility922 wrote: I would like to avoid buying a new computer. The Win7 is good enough for my use so don't want to make it obsolete, even though someone here said the A6 is already not relevant lol.

Ya, I remember just passing on the free Win10 upgrade when I first got my other Win8.1 computer...seemed like they had growing pains and 8.1 was good enough for me.
The A6 as a processor is definitely quite far back on the performance side of things, in some ways its probably an even lesser CPU than my 11 year old Q9450.

Anyways, you could technically still use Windows 7 post 2020, you only have to be smart with the sites you go to. Anything shady you better avoid. The security warnings aren't total nonsense, but in a way its a situation Microsoft purposely created to get you into their newest OS especially home users. Any Enterprise user, Microsoft is still willing to patch security updates although in this case its for a fee. Interestingly enough it wasn't even too long ago that Microsoft did a security patch for XP, yes an OS they abandoned 5 years ago got a patch in 2019.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15330 posts
1973 upvotes
Oshawa
JeganV wrote: The A6 as a processor is definitely quite far back on the performance side of things, in some ways every way its probably an even a lesser CPU than my 11 year old Q9450.
FTFY.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3328 posts
755 upvotes
FrostyWinnipeg wrote: AMD A6 is not relevant now so don't worry about keeping it relevant :)

You can update it to WIn10 if you want. The "assistive technology upgrade" program still works. That will over many updates take you to 1803 and from there you can download the 1903 update from MS themselves,
Technically not need as long as they have a valid win7 key. Any Win7/8/8.1 key will still activate Win10, although I'm not sure an upgrade will since that program is over. I built a PC a few months back and installed Win10 with no key once i had network connection i typed in a Wn7 key and bam i was activated.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9055 posts
1392 upvotes
Victoria
tranquility922 wrote: Got a msg that Win 7 will no longer be provided w security updates, so how would you proceed? My affected laptop is an ancient AMD A6 but otherwise still a competent computer for my purposes. Must I get a new computer or is there a way to keep it relevant/safe w/o any added cost?
My laptop (before my current laptop) was made in 2011. I managed to upgrade it to win10 with very few problems. The major and most annoying one was win10 didn't come with proper network drivers for it. I had to find them on my PC, put them on a thumb drive, and install them to get it up and running. Then I manually went and found drivers for everything. It never officially supported win10, but I got it to work. WIn10 doesn't seem to use any more juice than win7 (maybe even less). You could probably get it to work.
Apr 26, 2012
51 posts
30 upvotes
VERDUN
Just ignore it. It will continue working as usual. Just don't open questionable emails/websites and the usual stuff. Microsoft is really hilarious with their "protection" BS. I have ended my own so-called "protection" several years ago since win7 updates prevented the machine from booting so I disabled them.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2143 posts
2057 upvotes
Vancouver
alienzed wrote: Just ignore it. It will continue working as usual. Just don't open questionable emails/websites and the usual stuff. Microsoft is really hilarious with their "protection" BS. I have ended my own so-called "protection" several years ago since win7 updates prevented the machine from booting so I disabled them.
I would agree with that. Vulnerabilities in Windows are generally internal - you would have to run something that you downloaded from a nefarious source. If you update your browsers, your AV protection, and web-facing components like pdf and Flash, and don't open questionable email attachments or visit suspicious links, you are unlikely to have problems. Don't leave any private information like passwords or banking details lying around unencrypted on your drives.

It's also good if you make regular backups of your system in case you ever need to restore it, and watch for suspicious activity like tasks running that you don't recognize or unusual disk or network activity when you aren't running anything.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
6177 posts
1770 upvotes
Markham
zod wrote: My laptop (before my current laptop) was made in 2011. I managed to upgrade it to win10 with very few problems. The major and most annoying one was win10 didn't come with proper network drivers for it. I had to find them on my PC, put them on a thumb drive, and install them to get it up and running. Then I manually went and found drivers for everything. It never officially supported win10, but I got it to work. WIn10 doesn't seem to use any more juice than win7 (maybe even less). You could probably get it to work.
Did you find battery life significantly dropped after upgrade to win 10? I am hesitant because i use power manager in my Thinkpad x201 and worried battery life will reduce alot
Thanks