Computers & Electronics

Windows 7 restarts randomly! Here's what the system log says.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2011 7:38 am
Tags:
None
Jan 8, 2005
688 posts

Windows 7 restarts randomly! Here's what the system log says.

Hello there, I just bought a new computer and the guy at the shop assembled everything. Every 30 minutes or so, the computer shuts down without any BSOD (I've actually disabled automatic restarting). This happens even if the computer is on the windows logon screen.

This is whats in the error log:
"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
10 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
ruthless29 wrote: Hello there, I just bought a new computer and the guy at the shop assembled everything. Every 30 minutes or so, the computer shuts down without any BSOD (I've actually disabled automatic restarting). This happens even if the computer is on the windows logon screen.

This is whats in the error log:
"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
Is this a legal copy of windows?
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
175 upvotes
Insufficient power or overheating would seem to be the most likely candidates. Neither would log an error because the CPU would just crash.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
to me sounds like bad psu.
if it was heat the machine would beep while shutting down.
in the ops case the machine doesnt even shut down properly it just restarts.
Mar 6, 2006
20 posts
2 upvotes
Montr
remove and install the memory a few times. video card too
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2907 posts
924 upvotes
Toronto
ruthless29 wrote:... I just bought a new computer and the guy at the shop assembled everything. Every 30 minutes or so, the computer shuts down without any BSOD ...
Take it right back to the "shop".
Warranty should cover it.
Jan 8, 2005
688 posts
TIFF wrote: remove and install the memory a few times. video card too

I just tried that. Its the i5 2500 so its onboard video.

Is there a way to monitor the power? Its a corsair TX750W so I thought that should be sufficient for a samsung monitor and 4 hard drives.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
ruthless29 wrote: I just tried that. Its the i5 2500 so its onboard video.

Is there a way to monitor the power? Its a corsair TX750W so I thought that should be sufficient for a samsung monitor and 4 hard drives.

Given you have no dicrete video card I doubt there is not enough power.Still the PSU can be defective but no monitor can show that. The overheating can be a more likely reason. Look for a temperature monitor instead. There are all kinds of utility programs that display the temp, most likely your system came with one already. Or you can do it youself in BIOS, but there it's harder to notice as the computer is working at a very low pace when just running BIOS.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
I have the same problem but my cause was the case's reset switch...took me a while to pin point the problem, your's maybe different but you can try unplug the case's reset switch connection from the motherboard to see it it was the casue. Your power supply is a very good one and more than enough to power your system.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
175 upvotes
infamouskid wrote: if it was heat the machine would beep while shutting down.

My old laptop never did that when it overheated due to the fan being clogged with dust, it just shut down.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
Well some other poster was right, it was not the reset switch....looks like the motherboard auto DDR3 votlage is wrong for my Adata 1600 Gaming series which are 1.65-1.85v and bios setted them at 1.6v.....manually setted the voltage to 1.65v and it has been stable for a few days....let's see if it will restarts randomly again.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)