Page 1 of 2

Windows 7 upgrade from Windows XP

Posted: Mar 24th, 2014 12:45 pm
by Rosibal
Hello everybody

I just found out that MS will no longer provide support for Windows XP, therefore I will need to upgrade my laptop to Windows 7(Acer);
My questions are as follows:

1. How do I upgrade? do I need to uninstall the XP first or it will be done automatically as soon as I upload the Windows 7 software?

2. Do I need to back up all my files first?

3. Where is the cheapest place to buy Windows 7?

4. Anything else I need to be aware of?

Thank you in advance!

Re: Windows 7 upgrade from Windows XP

Posted: Mar 24th, 2014 12:53 pm
by ji2o0k
lol....my parent's and sis are in the same boat running ancient WinXP machines and I am helping them upgrade..

You can buy the Win 7 Upgrade media from any local computer store or Staples/Futureshop/Bestbuy, definitely back up your important files/docs/pictures first before you do anything.

1. Buy Win 7 Upgrade media (either Home, Pro etc)
- back up your existing files on an external HD or USB
- You can use the Win 7 upgrade media to upgrade existing XP OS but I prefer a clean install. If you want to do a clean install of Win 7 using Upgrade media - read instructions here: http://winsupersite.com/article/windows ... dia-128512

2. Yes - best practice is to back up existing files

3. Look at Staples/Futureshop/Best Buy or if you are a student, you might be able to get onto a Student deal

4. If you find a good deal on Windows 8 (either retail or upgrade), go with that and install Classic Shell (free) - makes it essentially the same as Win 7 but has longer support life
Rosibal wrote:
Mar 24th, 2014 12:45 pm
Hello everybody

I just found out that MS will no longer provide support for Windows XP, therefore I will need to upgrade my laptop to Windows 7(Acer);
My questions are as follows:

1. How do I upgrade? do I need to uninstall the XP first or it will be done automatically as soon as I upload the Windows 7 software?

2. Do I need to back up all my files first?

3. Where is the cheapest place to buy Windows 7?

4. Anything else I need to be aware of?

Thank you in advance!

Posted: Mar 24th, 2014 12:55 pm
by thelefteyeguy
Definitely Clean Install...google install procedure...Windows will ask if you want to format..."yes" to format.

Posted: Mar 24th, 2014 12:59 pm
by LEXX911
First of all what is your Acer laptop specs? You are better off going with Windows 8.1 if you want to upgrade.

Back you all your important stuff from the C: drive to another HDD or to your second partition if you have one. Install the OS of your choice. If you have only 1 partition. During installation delete XP partiton and create a new one around 50GB and install on that partition. After completing installation and load into Windows. Go into your Computer Management>Disk Management and format your other partition as Logical Partition and quick format it as NTFS.

Posted: Mar 24th, 2014 1:01 pm
by ji2o0k
Oh, forgot to add that if you have the budget - swap out your existing hard drive to a SSD hard drive...

Make a helluva difference in terms of boot-up times etc....and the prices for SSDs are pretty reasonable right now...

Posted: Mar 24th, 2014 1:15 pm
by Busybuyer888
For a home environment ... one can still run Windows XP without MS support.

It just means, no more security/OS patches for it.

If it was me, I'd just make sure a good anti-virus/malware product is installed and use it until I decide to replace the laptop.

Oh ... one more VERY important fact ... cannot upgrade WinXP directly to Win7 ....

The upgrade path is WinXP --> WinVista --> Win7 --> Win 8.

Each OS upgrade assumes you are only 1 generation behind. (Which makes sense.)

Also ... you might need to do some research into which tools that are installed on Win XP are not supported in Vista/Win 7. You will want to uninstall them first ... otherwise they will be stuck on your PC, after the upgrade. Also, it would be helpful to check the device manager after the Vista upgrade to ensure all the correct device drivers are installed, so the Win 7 upgrade process will install the correct device drivers.

I did do two of these upgrades ... took like 4+ hours of solid work to do one (1), I seem to recall I had to be at a certain XP service pack too, and Vista service pack. (XP computers are much slower than Win 7 computers too - old h/w).

So if you don't have WinVista ... I'd recommend a complete format and install Win 7 from scratch. (If it is upgrade media, and you start with a format, you may need to pop in previously licensed OS disk to get past upgrade requirement.)

Now, you don't need a licensed copy of Win Vista ... you can just install it in evaluation mode - as the Win 7 upgrade will happen immediately afterward.

Now that I recall the afternoon ... Don't do the inplace upgrade from XP ... install fresh Win 7/8 or just get a new computer with Win 8 when a sale comes along. :)

Posted: Mar 24th, 2014 1:20 pm
by Busybuyer888
Busybuyer888 wrote:
Mar 24th, 2014 1:15 pm
For a home environment ... one can still run Windows XP without MS support.

It just means, no more security/OS patches for it.

If it was me, I'd just make sure a good anti-virus/malware product is installed and use it until I decide to replace the laptop.

Oh ... one more VERY important fact ... cannot upgrade WinXP directly to Win7 ....

The upgrade path is WinXP --> WinVista --> Win7 --> Win 8.

Each OS upgrade assumes you are only 1 generation behind. (Which makes sense.)

Also ... you might need to do some research into which tools that are installed on Win XP are not supported in Vista/Win 7. You will want to uninstall them first ... otherwise they will be stuck on your PC, after the upgrade. Also, it would be helpful to check the device manager after the Vista upgrade to ensure all the correct device drivers are installed, so the Win 7 upgrade process will install the correct device drivers.

I did do two of these upgrades ... took like 4+ hours of solid work to do one (1), I seem to recall I had to be at a certain XP service pack too, and Vista service pack. (XP computers are much slower than Win 7 computers too - old h/w).

So if you don't have WinVista ... I'd recommend a complete format and install Win 7 from scratch. (If it is upgrade media, and you start with a format, you may need to pop in previously licensed OS disk to get past upgrade requirement.)

Now, you don't need a licensed copy of Win Vista ... you can just install it in evaluation mode - as the Win 7 upgrade will happen immediately afterward.

Now that I recall the afternoon ... Don't do the inplace upgrade from XP ... install fresh Win 7/8 or just get a new computer with Win 8 when a sale comes along. :)

Also with a clean/format type install of Win 7/8 ... you will access to ALL of the software you intend to install again (if it is supported). That is MS Office, Adobe Acrobat s/w and license keys.

Posted: Mar 24th, 2014 1:56 pm
by cdbh12
I am wondering about the same thing. I have a Thinkpad R500 with Core 2 Duo P8600 @2.4 ghz and 2 gb mem HDD 150 gb. Would windows 7 or 8 be better for speed and HDD capacity? I assume the newer the version the bigger the program.
Is it time to just upgrade the laptop?
Will it be considerably slower on the new Windows?
Thanks

Posted: Mar 24th, 2014 2:12 pm
by ji2o0k
bump your RAM to 4GB (minimum) if it isn't too costly and slap on either Windows 7 or 8 and you will breathe fresh life into your laptop...

Personally, I find Windows 8 is snappier on older hardware....
cdbh wrote:
Mar 24th, 2014 1:56 pm
I am wondering about the same thing. I have a Thinkpad R500 with Core 2 Duo P8600 @2.4 ghz and 2 gb mem HDD 150 gb. Would windows 7 or 8 be better for speed and HDD capacity? I assume the newer the version the bigger the program.
Is it time to just upgrade the laptop?
Will it be considerably slower on the new Windows?
Thanks

Posted: Mar 24th, 2014 2:33 pm
by kaws
Also before upgrading, make sure there are drivers available on Windows7 for your hardware.

I recently helped upgrade my girlfriend's laptop from XP to Windows7. I had to try some workarounds to get the drivers working that were mainly for Vista.

Posted: Mar 24th, 2014 3:02 pm
by Keas
it may be time depending on hardware to buy a cheap new notebook. if not then i would forgo the upgrade and just buy an oem version of win 7 or 8 which will run cheaper than if you had to buy vista then 7 or 8.

you can get the oem for usually 89.99 or 94.99 on sale at ncix or use price picker to see who is selling it cheaper and then price match at the nearest store of your choice that does price matching.

Again i bet you or your family would be a lot happier with a new notebook over something that came out with xp installed. Not even sure as someone suggested if drivers and some of your software would even work in the newer environment. i think windows 7 has a spec analyzer or something that checks your system out to see if it would work - i know win 8 does. maybe run that now from their website.

Posted: Mar 24th, 2014 3:04 pm
by Scycotic
Buying an OS for a laptop from the XP era may not be worth it. Alternatively you can try Linux.

Posted: Mar 24th, 2014 3:13 pm
by mr_raider
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Mar 24th, 2014 12:55 pm
Definitely Clean Install...google install procedure...Windows will ask if you want to format..."yes" to format.
Win xp to win 7 or 8 will wipe your data. In place upgrade was only possible for Vista to Win 7. The installer will erase the previous OS and leave with a windows.old folder with your files. You can actually format the drive during the install process allowing you to clean install.

That being said, a few points:

1. Your PC will not implode. End of support means no updates. If you are disciplined in your PC use, you can keep running XP. Your PC will work fine.

2. Win 7 licenses are hard to come buy these days. OEM discs are still available.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6832416806

Note OEM versions must be clean installed.

3. Win 8 is cheaper than win 7. The 32 bit version will actually have a smaller install size and memory footprint than Win 7. You can buy win 8.1 upgrade with student discount for 70$. Still too much IMHO. MS should be giving these out for 20$ a pop for everybody on WIn XP to encourage them to migrate.

4. Screw windows and go Linux.

Posted: Mar 24th, 2014 7:45 pm
by AirCanada2000
I have seen on Kijiji and Craigslist, quite a few Windows 7 installation discs/activation key for around $50-60. Windows Premium and Ultimate. The ads are from IT people.

It seems too good to be true, would you buy through these IT people or through retail stores?

Posted: Mar 24th, 2014 7:59 pm
by zod
I would agree that a clean install is always better than an upgrade. Wipe the drive (Assuming you backed up the important stuff) and do a fresh install.

The hardest part about installing a clean OS onto a laptop is the availability of drivers. Hopefully the laptop isn't so old than the manufacturer hasn't posted win 7 drivers. On the optomistic side if it is really old, maybe the win 7 would already have sufficient drivers to make it work (as OS's tend to have a good drive database when they first come out, then the drivers become obscelete as time moves on).