Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo

Windows 8.1 Activation...(A rant)

So I got a new motherboard to replace the same model of motherboard that was defective thinking at least I won't have to reactivate windows.

Well, fat chance.

I got this windows 8 during the introduction sale discussed on RFDs shortly after it was released but never installed it. Installed it and the motherboard was defective, etc. New one connected, says I have to reactivate. I click it, tells me I have to call MS. Used the automated system to read eight sets of numbers back, with I think six numbers in each. Three of those sets contained 666 btw, the irony. The robot asks how many systems has it been installed on, I reply "none" because this is a well known MS trick question. It then says to click activate and there's no activation button there, finally find it, and it takes me to another page with no activation button. They patch me to India go through the routine with him and screw up because I don't speak Hindi English and finally after typing hundreds of numbers in again get it activated.

So, if something goes wrong with this motherboard, or I decide to switch it to another computer, I have all this to go through again? I need to learn Linux.
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
hagbard wrote: So I got a new motherboard to replace the same model of motherboard that was defective thinking at least I won't have to reactivate windows.

Well, fat chance.

I got this windows 8 during the introduction sale discussed on RFDs shortly after it was released but never installed it. Installed it and the motherboard was defective, etc. New one connected, says I have to reactivate. I click it, tells me I have to call MS.
If I am correct, you have an OEM Window 8 license. Not a full blown one. It was registered with the old mother board. You may have a better chance of activation if the same model/version of mother board is used though. (Not sure on my part. Just guess.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
danieltoronto wrote: If I am correct, you have an OEM Window 8 license. Not a full blown one. It was registered with the old mother board. You may have a better chance of activation if the same model/version of mother board is used though. (Not sure on my part. Just guess.
It wasn't sold to me as OEM, or I wouldn't have bought it (from Arvato Digital Services). It is the same model and version as the first motherboard. I'll see if I can find the link.

Okay, here's the link, as you can see, there's a lot of confusion over what this offer was and I still not entirely clear but again, I wouldn't have bought it if OEM.

microsoft-windows-8-pro-upgrade-downloa ... a-1247808/
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2087 posts
1134 upvotes
Alberta
This is a common thing, and been around from well before Windows 8.1. The trick is just to always tell em you changed the motherboard and they will reset the activation. People usually don't replace motherboards often so windows uses it as one of the items in it's detection mechanism to verify that it is still the same computer. From all my experience with this when I worked in a computer shop, not once did they even reject it. It's a pain in the ass, but it a lot less of a pain in the ass then learning Linux from scratch..
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
Call them and said you had to reinstall the OS and now it won't activate. No need to explain new mobo etc.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
Wow. I've never had an issue with Microsoft's automated activation for both windows and office. My only complaint is how slow it is. In reality is just a moment or two but the numbers are so long and it takes awhile for the robot to repeat them.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
398 upvotes
Edmonton
I never activate until I'm sure everything is working.
Definition: Than
A conjunction used to introduce the second element of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12603 posts
3028 upvotes
Richmond Hill
KMSpico

Works like a charm.
Banned
Nov 4, 2014
21 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
If I were you, I'd go back to Windows 7 if at all possible ... lol. There is not a day I don't want to chuck my laptop in the trash can and I've had this for more than 6 months now. :( Come to think of it, is it possible to go back to Windows 7?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
5738 posts
1457 upvotes
Windows 8.1 is perfectly usable in 'desktop' mode.

Just install Classic Shell for the Start Menu and you're good to go.

You get the performance/stability/robustness of 8.1, with the interface of 7.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
board123 wrote: KMSpico

Works like a charm.
that was my punchline...I will sue you for copyright infringement. :lol:
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Vacillator wrote: I never activate until I'm sure everything is working.
The number of times I've realized something is broken after activation is too damn high.

<3 MAKs
Apr 27, 2015
13 posts
Toronto, ON
george__ wrote: Call them and said you had to reinstall the OS and now it won't activate. No need to explain new mobo etc.
The tough and best way to deal with the issue.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
motherboard swap is where they draw the line

You'll need an activator or a new key.
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Dinujan wrote: motherboard swap is where they draw the line

You'll need an activator or a new key.
With OEM, yes, with an upgrade, no. And what do they expect if your brand new motherboard bites the dust your first week? I'm pretty tired of MS...Linux always presents issues on its own or I'd go there.