Tags:
None
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket

Windows 8.1 keeps asking me to login to Microsoft Account

Hey All,

Why does Windows 8.1 often ask me to login to my Microsoft Account? It's done this for me on a few different machines that I've used...kinda annoying.

Thanks
RFD Forums Moderator
25 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Windows 8 is really two operating systems

You have the desktop side, and then you have the Metro side.

The Metro side is the one that wants you to log in with your Microsoft account. It tracks your app purchases etc. It also uses this account to sync your Windows Phone and Windows Tablets.
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
Ok - but why does it keep asking me to login under the Notifications?
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
Click on the Charm and go to Settings>Change PC Settings>Accounts>Other Accounts>Add an Account>Sign in without a Microsoft account(near the bottom). Or if you have already a local account just go to Settings > Change PC Settings > Accounts > Your Account and disconnect. Are you running some app(s) that need to log into a Microsoft account such as email?
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
one OS, two skins.

@OP, Microsoft recommends you use Microsoft account to logon to Windows 8.x, this way they can maintain your personalized settings, apps and provide other cloud services. You can switch to local account if you don't feel comfortable using Microsoft account.

Gee wrote: Windows 8 is really two operating systems

You have the desktop side, and then you have the Metro side.

The Metro side is the one that wants you to log in with your Microsoft account. It tracks your app purchases etc. It also uses this account to sync your Windows Phone and Windows Tablets.
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
Let me rephrase. I know the benefits of logging in (and I prefer to). My question is why do I have to keep signing in, despite logging into the machine each morning.
Is it a security thing? Is it a glitch? Is it by design?
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
i don't have this problem... i login with a local account
ShadowVlican
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
ShadowVlican wrote: i don't have this problem... i login with a local account
And neither would I if I used a local account :)
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote: Let me rephrase. I know the benefits of logging in (and I prefer to). My question is why do I have to keep signing in, despite logging into the machine each morning.
Is it a security thing? Is it a glitch? Is it by design?
What exactly is it that Microsoft is keep telling you to sign in? Can you print to screen(Windows key+prt screen and it should be in your Pictures folder) or you need to explain a little clearer.
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
LEXX911 wrote: What exactly is it that Microsoft is keep telling you to sign in? Can you print to screen(Windows key+prt screen and it should be in your Pictures folder) or you need to explain a little clearer.
Sure next time it happens I'll screen grab. Basically the little flag (action centre) advises that Microsoft Account requires you to sign in. So I login, and that's that. But then the next day, it'll happen again, which is weird, because every time I turn on the laptop, I log back in (using my Microsoft Account).
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote: Sure next time it happens I'll screen grab. Basically the little flag (action centre) advises that Microsoft Account requires you to sign in. So I login, and that's that. But then the next day, it'll happen again, which is weird, because every time I turn on the laptop, I log back in (using my Microsoft Account).
[IMG]http://www.wincodex.com/wp-content/uplo ... jpg?dc567b[/IMG]

Is this what you are getting?

If so try going into Control Panel>User Accounts>Manage your Credential>Windows Credentials>Generic Credentials(near bottom)>Select your Account User name and click Edit and save your password.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4809 posts
1803 upvotes
When creating the accounts. Turn off all Internet. Or there's a place at the button not to use Microsoft account and create
Local one.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
WorldIRC wrote: And neither would I if I used a local account :)
then why don't you?

it's a simple solution, no headache, no forum...

you can make your account auto-login too...
ShadowVlican
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
LEXX911 wrote: [IMG]http://www.wincodex.com/wp-content/uplo ... jpg?dc567b[/IMG]

Is this what you are getting?

If so try going into Control Panel>User Accounts>Manage your Credential>Windows Credentials>Generic Credentials(near bottom)>Select your Account User name and click Edit and save your password.
Yes that's the one. I'll give it a shot.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
1124 posts
182 upvotes
Whitby
I am actually being converted to the dark side and like logging in with the MS account. Automatic skydrive integration and wireless password save/transfer is VERY convenient for working with multiple computers.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
same here, I know there is a risk but the convenience is too much to resist.
pessimism wrote: I am actually being converted to the dark side and like logging in with the MS account. Automatic skydrive integration and wireless password save/transfer is VERY convenient for working with multiple computers.
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
Did it again...jeez.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
Are you using ccleaner? Or other wise just disable action center for that or ignore it.
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
LEXX911 wrote: Are you using ccleaner? Or other wise just disable action center for that or ignore it.
No I'm not...but this happens on my Surface Pro 3 and my Laptop. If I disable action centre for it, do I stay logged in?
RFD Forums Moderator