Computers & Electronics

Windows: Problem resuming from hibernation... due to antivirus software?

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2014 1:30 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1749 posts
1361 upvotes

Windows: Problem resuming from hibernation... due to antivirus software?

I'm having some issues with my new comp (windows 7 64-bit, i3 core i3-4130) where (almost) everytime I try to resume from hibernation, the computer will hang at the windows 7 resume animation screen.

I have spent a lot of time updating drivers, system patches, ram/hdrive/windows tests, but I may have pinpointed the problem (I think) which seems to be caused by antivirus software running in the background.

I have installed/uninstalled several brands to test this theory outl: avast, avira, bitdefender, and zone alarm. Each one seems to cause my computer to freeze up during the hibernation resume screen. When I disable real time protection for these programs, then resuming from hibernation will work about 3/4 of the time but still maybe pause for a split second while windows is loading.

So my question is, does anyone know if it's possible for antivirus software to affect windows from properly resuming from hibernation? (resuming from sleep, and cold boot works perfectly fine btw)

If so, what is the reason and any idea how to fix this?

Also, do you think this is something can be fixed with a bios update? (I don't want to do this unless I absolutely have to)
Always hungry ;)
18 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4547 posts
1045 upvotes
London
What does Event Viewer say? And why don't you want to update the BIOS? It's non-destructive and usually recommended...
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1749 posts
1361 upvotes
Scycotic wrote: What does Event Viewer say? And why don't you want to update the BIOS? It's non-destructive and usually recommended...

I checked the event viewer and although inititally there were a bunch of errors, I managed to fix most of them.

The only error I could not seem to correct (that I observed was lingering thru out this entire test) is one that named LMS event 2001 (something regarding the network). I have the computer currently hooked up to ethernet,

As for the bios, the instructions to install seems a bit tricky and I'm unsure if this bios (the website labelled it as win8) will work on my win7 machine. Since there was no backup bios to rollback I just want to be sure it will be a good idea because I might be stuck with this and the problem could get worse.
Always hungry ;)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
It's usually a driver issue, but it can be extremely difficult to diagnose. The only practical way is to either restore back to when it last worked and change one thing at a time, or to strip everything out and start over again fresh. But even that may not help. I had a laptop that suddenly got erratic at hibernating and restarting, and the cause turned out to be that I had replaced the plastic blank filler card in the SD card reader with an empty microSD adapter card.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1749 posts
1361 upvotes
Scycotic wrote: What does Event Viewer say? And why don't you want to update the BIOS? It's non-destructive and usually recommended...
I just updated the bios. The problem still exists :(
JamesA1 wrote: It's usually a driver issue, but it can be extremely difficult to diagnose. The only practical way is to either restore back to when it last worked and change one thing at a time, or to strip everything out and start over again fresh. But even that may not help. I had a laptop that suddenly got erratic at hibernating and restarting, and the cause turned out to be that I had replaced the plastic blank filler card in the SD card reader with an empty microSD adapter card.

Yeah downloaded a huge set of windows updates and installed and configured a bunch of programs that took about a week so I don't have it in me to repeat this all again. When you had your issue was the the screen freezing during the resume animation screen? or did the animation just loop over and over?

btw just an update: I have uninstalled my antivirus completely and the issue still remains so it might not be antivirus related. However I have been able to repeat this issue by opening up a bunch of programs then hibernating. I have done a memory test and there were no issues.

Any other suggestions?
Always hungry ;)
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
This has nothing to do with your a/v software. This issue resonates with some of the HP boxes??

What brand is the pc or is this a self-built unit? Provide the list of all hardware.

List all the accessories you have attached to your USB ports(if any)?

Just a quick thought..try disabling the "USB Selective suspend setting" in the advanced power option settings.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1749 posts
1361 upvotes
eldiablo wrote: This has nothing to do with your a/v software. This issue resonates with some of the HP boxes??

What brand is the pc or is this a self-built unit? Provide the list of all hardware.

List all the accessories you have attached to your USB ports(if any)?

Just a quick thought..try disabling the "USB Selective suspend setting" in the advanced power option settings.

it's an acer desktop i3 haswell. the only thing i have attached to usb is the keyboard and the mouse (which sometimes I unplug and use PS/2 - where the problem still exists).

I have tried disabling usb selective suspend in the power settings, but the computer still freezes at the resume animation. It's weird that this issue NEVER happens at startup, only when i resume from hibernation. About 60% of the time it will freeze and lock up, 35% of the time it will freeze for about 30-40 seconds then continue to resume normally, and 5% it will resume without freezing.

If I uninstall all the windows updates I already downloaded, will I have to redownload them again, or will they stay on my system in case I need to reinstall them?
Always hungry ;)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
794 upvotes
North York
I've found, most of my Win 7 wake-up/hibernation issues come from the Windows power settings or BIOS settings.

I don't even allow my desktop to hibernate, now. The video card seems to be a good source of hibernation/wake issues too.

Hibernate works much better for laptops.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1749 posts
1361 upvotes
Busybuyer888 wrote: I've found, most of my Win 7 wake-up/hibernation issues come from the Windows power settings or BIOS settings.

I don't even allow my desktop to hibernate, now. The video card seems to be a good source of hibernation/wake issues too.

Hibernate works much better for laptops.
I usually wouldn't mind putting the computer in sleep mode but the computer has this annoying large blue led in front that blinks in sleep state :(
Always hungry ;)
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1749 posts
1361 upvotes
tequilla wrote: There are several ways to troubleshoot here:

powercfg. You can search google for usage, for example this link:
http://www.wikihow.com/Run-an-Energy-Re ... -Windows-7

StandBy Tool :
http://slicksolutions.eu/

I ran powercfg but there are a few errors I'm not sure how to correct:

Power Policy:Minimum processor performance state is 100% (Plugged In)
The processor is not configured to automatically reduce power consumption based on activity.

Power Policy:PCI Express ASPM is disabled (Plugged In)
The current power policy for PCI Express Active State Power Management (ASPM) is configured to Off.

CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is high
The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
Average Utilization (%) 6.79

Platform Power Management Capabilities:PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

warnings:

Warnings
Platform Timer Resolution:Platform Timer Resolution
The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
Current Timer Resolution (100ns units) 100000
Maximum Timer Period (100ns units) 156001
Platform Timer Resolution:Outstanding Timer Request
A program or service has requested a timer resolution smaller than the platform maximum timer resolution.
Requested Period 100000
Requesting Process ID 1012
Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\svchost.exe
Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (Plugged In)
The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.
CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name TrustedInstaller.exe
PID 4268
Average Utilization (%) 1.59
Module Average Module Utilization (%)
\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17592_none_672ce6c3de2cb17f\CbsCore.dll 1.03
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.17
\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll 0.13
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name svchost.exe
PID 2732
Average Utilization (%) 1.43
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates\{140739A9-FC23-4DC1-904A-58558047B6A9}\mpengine.dll 0.64
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.07
Process Name WmiPrvSE.exe
PID 4044
Average Utilization (%) 0.72
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.34
\SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys 0.08
\SystemRoot\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys 0.08
Process Name svchost.exe
PID 1012
Average Utilization (%) 0.64
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.30
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\esent.dll 0.09
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll 0.07

does the above look normal?
Always hungry ;)
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6622 upvotes
London
I had problems with sleep and hibernation when one I had a intermittent memory dimm. It always booted fine but would intermittently blue screen coming out of sleep or hibernation. I took one DIMM out at a time til I found the bad one
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1280 posts
518 upvotes
Sorry, I am not proficient enough to pinpoint exact solution.
So, the following are just ideas:

1. Report indicates CPU is not allowed to adjust its speed.
may be this computer can not do it at all. Or may be
it can be allowed in BIOS.
Is it a show-stopped for hibernation? I do not know.
In any case it would be useful, if available, to switch it on from BIOS

2. Computer timing issue -- no idea

3. PCI Express power management. Report tells us that PCI Express
does not obey the order to sleep.... or wake up after sleep.
It well may be the real problem here.
Try to update low level chipset mobo drivers from motherboard manufacturer.
Also, it (PCI power control) probably can be turned on in
Devices >> select device >> Properties
or in Power Option menu --- there is place to adjust power options for
attached devices.

4. TrustedInstaller -- it is WIndows isntaller for updates.
It can be very active for hours after big windows updates.

5. MCE Standby tool is more user-friendly

6. Google/Read about S1, S3, S4 and S3+S4 power options.
In many (if not all) BIOSes these states can
be allowed or disallowed. Check what is in BIOS.
MCE Standby tool can tell it right away and you can
adjust BIOS if necessary.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1280 posts
518 upvotes
nintendo wrote: btw, I have tried the standby tool and it still freezes :(

Try as Administrator. I got it running somehow on Win7.
(the tool is officially for Win XP but was working for me on W7)
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1749 posts
1361 upvotes
l69norm wrote: I had problems with sleep and hibernation when one I had a intermittent memory dimm. It always booted fine but would intermittently blue screen coming out of sleep or hibernation. I took one DIMM out at a time til I found the bad one

That's what I suspected but unfortunately I only have 1 stick of ram installed and no spares to test out. When I did the windows memory test, it didn't detect any errors though. I heard re-seating the ram might fix the problem, but that is something I want to avoid for now and test out other options first.

tequilla wrote: Sorry, I am not proficient enough to pinpoint exact solution.
So, the following are just ideas:

1. Report indicates CPU is not allowed to adjust its speed.
may be this computer can not do it at all. Or may be
it can be allowed in BIOS.
Is it a show-stopped for hibernation? I do not know.
In any case it would be useful, if available, to switch it on from BIOS

2. Computer timing issue -- no idea

3. PCI Express power management. Report tells us that PCI Express
does not obey the order to sleep.... or wake up after sleep.
It well may be the real problem here.
Try to update low level chipset mobo drivers from motherboard manufacturer.
Also, it (PCI power control) probably can be turned on in
Devices >> select device >> Properties
or in Power Option menu --- there is place to adjust power options for
attached devices.

4. TrustedInstaller -- it is WIndows isntaller for updates.
It can be very active for hours after big windows updates.

5. MCE Standby tool is more user-friendly

6. Google/Read about S1, S3, S4 and S3+S4 power options.
In many (if not all) BIOSes these states can
be allowed or disallowed. Check what is in BIOS.
MCE Standby tool can tell it right away and you can
adjust BIOS if necessary.
tequilla wrote: Try as Administrator. I got it running somehow on Win7.
(the tool is officially for Win XP but was working for me on W7)
Thanks, I checked the bios but didn't seem like there was any option to change CPU speed in the bios. I did try adjust power options for the PCI express in the power settings but that didn't help.
I have already gone ahead and formatted the computer and see if hibernation will work off the bat.

I have noticed that generally if I have a lot of programs running it will tend to freeze when resuming from hibernation but there are other times when there's nothing running and it will still hang at the resume animation screen.

Btw, how long does it generally take for your computers (running windows 7) to resume from hibernation?
Always hungry ;)
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1749 posts
1361 upvotes
So I reinstalled windows last night and slowly one by 1 kept track of my installations.

I noticed that after i installed avast that the problem came back. However even after I uninstalled it, the problem remained so I'm not sure if it was a coincidence or not. Even did a rollback restore point but the screen still froze during hibernation resume.

I am thinking it may be the ram (I only have a single stick 4gb). Are you using ram in dual channel mode now? Do you remember your ram specs?

l69norm wrote: I had problems with sleep and hibernation when one I had a intermittent memory dimm. It always booted fine but would intermittently blue screen coming out of sleep or hibernation. I took one DIMM out at a time til I found the bad one
Always hungry ;)
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6622 upvotes
London
I was using 2x2gb ddr3. I tested by taking one dimm out a time and also switching slots on the MB as well. All worked when the bad dimm was pulled. Installed a new dimm and all is well.

Try the other slot

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)