• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2014 3:41 am
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8554 posts
5570 upvotes
Trudostan

"Windows Security" Scammers making death threats now? Wow

As the title says, this is another "windows security" scam call story, but with added bonus of death threats!

Got the call early this morning, and behold "David" from "windows security" calling with a thick Indian accent. Had I been expecting the call at a different time, I'd have jerked them around to waste their time. Well this morning I was groggy and had none of it, called them out for lying and scamming and blasted a stream of expletives at the scumbag. But once I was done, the caller said "(My name) I will kill you, you (expletive), you family, you (can't make out the rest, another language) and I hung up.

OK. Death threats now? is this common or are these guys getting severely PO'd that people are aware of their scams?

FYI I didn't bother reporting it to police since the call was likely international though voip with fake CID, but still it was extremely unsettling to get this kind of call in the morning. I strongly suspect it may have something to do with members of my household messing with previous PC scam callers (up to 5 by now), though not sure if it's the same party responsible in all cases.
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
It's partly your fault. Should never get into an arguement with someone you can't track down and the worst thing is that they know your phone number. These are the type of people you shouldn't even bother picking up the phone and just hang up right away.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2014
1154 posts
388 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
M1K3Z0R wrote: As the title says, this is another "windows security" scam call story, but with added bonus of death threats!

Got the call early this morning, and behold "David" from "windows security" calling with a thick Indian accent. Had I been expecting the call at a different time, I'd have jerked them around to waste their time. Well this morning I was groggy and had none of it, called them out for lying and scamming and blasted a stream of expletives at the scumbag. But once I was done, the caller said "(My name) I will kill you, you (expletive), you family, you (can't make out the rest, another language) and I hung up.

OK. Death threats now? is this common or are these guys getting severely PO'd that people are aware of their scams?

FYI I didn't bother reporting it to police since the call was likely international though voip with fake CID, but still it was extremely unsettling to get this kind of call in the morning. I strongly suspect it may have something to do with members of my household messing with previous PC scam callers (up to 5 by now), though not sure if it's the same party responsible in all cases.
This is more common than you think, people with no skills in offshore trades companies hire these people to do the dirty work of trying to collect information illegally to sell back to the country it originated from.
Something with more than two legs, but less than three.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2009
1458 posts
286 upvotes
Renous
I've gotten two of these.

The last time, I went through the schpeel, until the point where he wanted me to navigate to www.whatever.. - I told him I don't have the internet. :P That was fun.

The first time, I went through the schpeel, until the point where he said my PC was exhibiting dangerous behaviour sending things across the internet infecting other PC's. At which point I got VERY concerned, and said 'Don't worry! I'm destroying this computer NOW!' and took a hammer to my work bench, threw in some crunching effects, which was fun too. 'No sir! You don't have to break your PC!' .. LOL

You can't get too upset with these clowns, that's what they wait for.
Reserved for future time travellers
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
2072 posts
440 upvotes
GTA
I just tell them we only have Macs and they hang up. We only have 2 and rest PC's.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
I have politically correct apple commuters.
Feb 24, 2014
2 posts
Thanks for the heads up! I got a call like that before and the caller kept calling for about a week but it never went as far as the caller making death threats. That's just too much. I strongly suggest you report this to the police so they can investigate. Report this to the FTC, too, to shut the scam down.
Feb 24, 2014
2 posts
Oh by the way, you can share the scammer's phone number at www.callercenter.com too! The website gets about 50 000 visitors daily and just imagine how many people you get to warn about this particular scam... Let's help everyone avoid becoming a victim to phone scams. Let's continue spreading their info!