Home & Garden

Which windows would you choose...northstar or Vinylbilt?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 12th, 2018 11:30 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2003
1155 posts
97 upvotes

Which windows would you choose...northstar or Vinylbilt?

My father is replacing his windows at his house..about 18 windows..and has quotes from brock windows (northstar) and also another company that installs Vinylbilt windows and the prices are almost the same....

Only difference is that brock is right now offering the triple pane upgrade for free....

So which windows would be a better choice.....

I guess this is more geared to the people that have their windows replaced.
16 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22161 posts
10326 upvotes
Toronto
I had all of my old wood windows replaced with double-hung Northstar and couldn't be happier.

I haven't had any dealings with Vinylbilt so I can't really comment.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
We have Vinylbilt platinum series double hung and double slider windows. Our gas bill has dropped by 25% in an 18 yr old house. The house is much cooler in the summer as well thanks to the tint feature (they automatically tint slightly when the outside temp is above a certain temp and the sun is on them). The biggest selling feature to us is the fully transferable non-prorated warranty which we are starting to see turn up in descriptions of homes for sale...
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2003
1155 posts
97 upvotes
thanks guys for the replies....so i have one with northstar and 1 with Vinylbilt :) Has anyone gone to both factories...any reason why you choose one over the other?
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2003
2714 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
We got northstars from brock last year. Couldn't be happier. Not too sure how vinylbilt will rate. check energuide website. They have all windows rated on energy efficiency there. Brock's installation was amazing, the fit and finish and they took their time to do a good job. I don't work for Brock. But we are happy with them.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2003
1155 posts
97 upvotes
Neb wrote: We got northstars from brock last year. Couldn't be happier. Not too sure how vinylbilt will rate. check energuide website. They have all windows rated on energy efficiency there. Brock's installation was amazing, the fit and finish and they took their time to do a good job. I don't work for Brock. But we are happy with them.
thanks..that's good to hear!!

My dad is getting a brick to brick install and it's nice to hear that the install went good.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2838 posts
48 upvotes
superwell wrote: My father is replacing his windows at his house..about 18 windows..and has quotes from brock windows (northstar) and also another company that installs Vinylbilt windows and the prices are almost the same....

Only difference is that brock is right now offering the triple pane upgrade for free....

So which windows would be a better choice.....

I guess this is more geared to the people that have their windows replaced.
We had our bow window replaced and had 7 quotes. Brock was completely out in left field for there price. $2k more then all the other quotes. We went with consumerschoice.ca and very happy with them. I would have to check but think they use vinylbilt
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2003
1155 posts
97 upvotes
Any advantages or disadvantages going with triple pane glass? It just seems like a better product to go with if they are almost the same price?
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2003
2714 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
fireguy9 wrote: We had our bow window replaced and had 7 quotes. Brock was completely out in left field for there price. $2k more then all the other quotes. We went with consumerschoice.ca and very happy with them. I would have to check but think they use vinylbilt
Definitely bargain bargain bargain. Out of the 4 or 5 quotes we got for all the windows in the house. Brock was the most expensive, but after some bargaining, I think the difference with the rest were only about 500-1000 for all the windows and front/back door.

OP, we did not go brick to brick, but retro. We had put stucco on outside now, and everything looks good.
May 31, 2016
182 posts
56 upvotes
Came across this thread when searching for my answer and thought I'd revive it as the answers were from over 10 years ago and may not apply now!

Northstar (I think 1000 series but I forget!) or vinylbilt (diamond series)? Both for the greenon triple pane rebate.

Thanks!
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
gmason86 wrote: Came across this thread when searching for my answer and thought I'd revive it as the answers were from over 10 years ago and may not apply now!

Northstar (I think 1000 series but I forget!) or vinylbilt (diamond series)? Both for the greenon triple pane rebate.

Thanks!

Vote with your wallet if both installers are reputable. Back then I spec'd brick-to-brick triple glass with colour upgrade and Northstar(Brock) was a little cheaper than Vinylbilt(Windowland).

I got Northstar and my neighbour got Vinylbilt. Its been 2-3 yrs and we are both happy with the outcome.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
superwell wrote: Any advantages or disadvantages going with triple pane glass? It just seems like a better product to go with if they are almost the same price?
Don’t be taken in by triple being “better”. Low end triple isn’t as good as the high end double.
May 31, 2016
182 posts
56 upvotes
Price is actually very similar after some negotiation. I believe they're both good quality triple pane windows.

So it's really down to which one is better and of course both installers claim theirs is better :-)

So would be interested on which is actually better.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
gmason86 wrote: Price is actually very similar after some negotiation. I believe they're both good quality triple pane windows.

So it's really down to which one is better and of course both installers claim theirs is better :-)

So would be interested on which is actually better.
Neither is better. It’s a GM vs Ford trucks conversation. They are both great trucks.
May 31, 2016
182 posts
56 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Neither is better. It’s a GM vs Ford trucks conversation. They are both great trucks.
Thanks Jerico - much appreciated!
Sep 9, 2008
688 posts
180 upvotes
Mississauga
Jerico wrote: Don’t be taken in by triple being “better”. Low end triple isn’t as good as the high end double.
Can you please name some high end double and low end triple examples. Would the low end triple still qualify for the the Ontario Green Fund?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Szharkov wrote: Can you please name some high end double and low end triple examples. Would the low end triple still qualify for the the Ontario Green Fund?
Single or no coated triple is not as good as most double or triple coated double glazing. Some low end triple may qualify but it would be by manufacturer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)