Computers & Electronics

Windows XP Installation - Blue Screen 0x0000007B (0xF78D663C, 0x0000034,)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2009 4:25 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1468 posts
7 upvotes

Windows XP Installation - Blue Screen 0x0000007B (0xF78D663C, 0x0000034,)

THanks in advance for all those reading this!

Long story short, the gf's computer went nuts and she needed a new one.

Here's what I picked up:
AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H
Mushkin HP2 6400 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800
WD Caviar Black 500GB SATAII 7200RPM 32MB Cache (OEM)

All's connected in the tower, cables are neat and tidy and I've checked and re-checked every connection to make sure things are properly connected.

Now it's time to install a fresh copy of XP, and after it finishes loading all the pre-setup things, I get smacked in the face with a Blue Screen (0x0000007b) Error Message.

I've spent the past couple hours googling and doing a combination of:
  • Reconnecting the HD Sata cable
  • Checking PSU connections
  • Clearing CMOS and loading up Default settings
  • Trying to set my SATA harddrive as IDE
  • Ignoring my Mobo when it says to turn on "AHCI"
  • Listening to my mobo and turning on "AHCI"
  • Setting the Sata CHIP to run as Native IDE
  • Trying a different XP disk (Pro, Corp. Pro w/ SP1, SP2)
  • Pressing F6 and trying to load my own driver? I can't find which one to load...nor do I have a A: drive
and I still can't get to the screen when it says "Press F3 to install Windows, Press R to Repair" because it craps out the split second before that screen.

I know the Specs look very similar to a computer that iWong picked up, and I have already tried to reach him to see if he can lend a hand with some BIOS settings.

I know there are lots of PC Pro's here, so I hope someone can lend a hand, or maybe even help me out in the GTA (if they don't mind, willing to $ if needed).
Any ideas?

Thanks so much again!
21 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
408 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
You did everything but checked the RAM. This sounds like a simple RAM issue. Even if the RAM is brand new, that's not to say it's defective. Boot with one stick, then the other, until you narrow down which stick it is.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1468 posts
7 upvotes
CSAgent wrote:
Jun 26th, 2009 4:27 am
You did everything but checked the RAM. This sounds like a simple RAM issue. Even if the RAM is brand new, that's not to say it's defective. Boot with one stick, then the other, until you narrow down which stick it is.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I went from:
  • 2 Sticks = Same Problem
  • 1 Stick Only = Same Problem
  • The other stick = Same problem
  • The first stick again in a different dimm = same problem
  • The other stick again in the other dimm = same problem
:(
Anything else?
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14338 posts
1292 upvotes
Oshawa
For XP, it looks like you need the AMD Chipset driver version 8.51 or later.

Since you don't have a floppy, try using Nlite and making a SP3 slipstream XP install disk with the chipset driver integrated.
Mar 3, 2009
202 posts
8 upvotes
Did you raise the DIMM voltage?
gwu wrote:
Jun 26th, 2009 4:51 am
Thanks for the suggestion.

I went from:
  • 2 Sticks = Same Problem
  • 1 Stick Only = Same Problem
  • The other stick = Same problem
  • The first stick again in a different dimm = same problem
  • The other stick again in the other dimm = same problem
:(
Anything else?
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2006
1317 posts
191 upvotes
gwu wrote:
Jun 26th, 2009 4:15 am
Here's what I picked up:
AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H
Mushkin HP2 6400 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800
WD Caviar Black 500GB SATAII 7200RPM 32MB Cache (OEM)
I just put together roughly the same box, well same processor and board anyway. I loaded XP with no issues. I can check my bios settings when I get home. I am running the latest BIOS, but I believe I updated that after installing XP.

Not that this should matter, but, I did load Win7 first and blew it away shortly after with a fresh install of XP. Perhaps download the WIN7 iso and see if that loads?

If you want me to check anything, just let me know.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
408 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
"0x0000007b" in Google brought me to this on MS's website.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

The last 2 issues may most apply to you, some kind of device driver issue (possibly if the hardware is new and recent, thinking mobo) and bad corrupted disk. Have you tried a different hard drive?
Mar 10, 2009
64 posts
Calgary, AB
What XP disk are you using to install? I know that XP service pack 2 and lower installation disks don't have the proper generic sata drivers included(or something to that effect) and that causes blue screens.

You can try an XP SP3 installation disk, or you can do what JAC says and slipstream the drivers / service pack into an installation CD you can create yourself(from an existing install CD)
Oct 24, 2007
156 posts
Toronto
Try to wipe the disk first. There might be some corrupted partitions or data on the drive. could also be a bad mbr.

Get hiren's boot disk it has everything you need.
I think 9.9 is out
Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
2842 posts
150 upvotes
You could always try installing Vista on it and see if that gives you any trouble :)
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
3684 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
dstefan wrote:
Jun 26th, 2009 2:56 pm
Try to wipe the disk first. There might be some corrupted partitions or data on the drive. could also be a bad mbr.

I think 9.9 is out
+1. Also make sure that is just isn't the disc that is causing the problem.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1468 posts
7 upvotes
The HDD was brand new!
*ARGH*

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions, I'll be trying all of them tonight when I get home.

Thanks in advance!!
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
3684 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
gwu wrote:
Jun 26th, 2009 5:20 pm
The HDD was brand new!
*ARGH*

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions, I'll be trying all of them tonight when I get home.

Thanks in advance!!
Brand new or not man. I had a WD HDD fail upon arrival brand new.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1468 posts
7 upvotes
JAC wrote:
Jun 26th, 2009 5:08 am
For XP, it looks like you need the AMD Chipset driver version 8.51 or later.

Since you don't have a floppy, try using Nlite and making a SP3 slipstream XP install disk with the chipset driver integrated.
I tried to google Nlite and this whole slipstreaming thing seems too advanced for me. :(
Thanks JAC!
sa_wood wrote:
Jun 26th, 2009 11:00 am
Did you raise the DIMM voltage?
Yes, Tried 1.9V, 2.0V, 2.1V, all within the recommended range of the RAM/Mushkin's website, all the same error message. Thanks sa_wood

Nethervue wrote:
Jun 26th, 2009 12:33 pm
I just put together roughly the same box, well same processor and board anyway. I loaded XP with no issues. I can check my bios settings when I get home. I am running the latest BIOS, but I believe I updated that after installing XP.

Not that this should matter, but, I did load Win7 first and blew it away shortly after with a fresh install of XP. Perhaps download the WIN7 iso and see if that loads?

If you want me to check anything, just let me know.
I'm trying to download Windows 7 atm. Thanks nethervue for the offer, I may PM you in the near future.

KorruptioN wrote:
Jun 26th, 2009 1:41 pm
Is the CD scratched?
Not that I can see.
Since I love XP, I've made multiple copies just in case, and I've cycled through 3 of them. I've installed XP on other SATA HDD machines, and I've never had this problem. This is very frustrating, but thanks for asking KorruptioN

dakrwurm wrote:
Jun 26th, 2009 2:37 pm
What XP disk are you using to install? I know that XP service pack 2 and lower installation disks don't have the proper generic sata drivers included(or something to that effect) and that causes blue screens.

You can try an XP SP3 installation disk, or you can do what JAC says and slipstream the drivers / service pack into an installation CD you can create yourself(from an existing install CD)
I tried XP + SP1, Didn't fly. I tried XP + SP2, didn't fly as well, thanks for the suggestion dakrwurm

dstefan wrote:
Jun 26th, 2009 2:56 pm
I think 9.9 is out
Downloading it now, thanks dstefan for the idea. I was thinking of where I could find a useful boot cd type of thing....

Homer88 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2009 3:06 pm
You could always try installing Vista on it and see if that gives you any trouble :)
Unfortunately, I don't have a Vista disk nearby to try. I am trying Nethervue's suggestion of Win7 though. I'm sure the gf will love the pretty-ness of it. Thanks Homer88!
Zero1 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2009 5:22 pm
Brand new or not man. I had a WD HDD fail upon arrival brand new.
I guess I have been lucky in the past that I haven't encountered a fail-upon-arrival which is why I didn't expect it. But thanks for the info Zero1, good to know that it IS possible and it's worth my time to make sure I check it.

1) I am downloading Hiren's9.9 and I'm going to try and wipe it to high hell and try again

2) I am also downloading Win7 RC to see if maybe that'll work.

3) Nlite seemed too tough for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

THANKS EVERYONE.
× < >