Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Windscribe VPN - RFD Exclusive Deal ($12/year)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2019 11:34 am
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
3346 posts
2442 upvotes
Montreal
yegorpb wrote: qBittorrent has very bad SOCKS5 support. There are outstanding bugs in the software which have not been fixed

https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/7838
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/7734

Try a different client if you must use SOCKS5, but also keep in mind that SOCKS5 is not an encrypted protocol. It will hide your IP in the seeder pool, but that's it. Your ISP can still see exactly what you're doing.
Oh ok thanks for the info. I used to get a bunch of notices from Bell before and since I started using SOCKS5 never got a single one.

but I will try another client.
Apr 29, 2007
74 posts
17 upvotes
yegorpb wrote: Yeah, it's in the works, since it's not as simple as getting some Japanese servers.
1. Is a Canadian netflix server in the works?
2. Will there be an option in the iOS version to disable on LTE? In low signal areas, connecting to a VPN is difficult and can prevent connectivity. I also use TunnelBear and it allows for having the VPN automatically engage on WiFi but automatically disengage on mobile data (if so desired).
3. Will there ever be an option to have it automatically disable the VPN on certain WiFi networks (i.e. whitelist, or "trusted" networks)? This is helpful as certain internet networks throttle VPNs (e.g. satellite) and sometimes it's just easier to not have the vpn connect on that network. I know that your windows version has the "stealth" option, but that's not available for mobile.

I've got a pro subscription and it's great, thank you Yegor.
Nov 17, 2005
317 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto
Keitho wrote: ah boo.. I was intending to use it for Amazon Prime Vid.... Crying Face
We are working on Amazon prime support, MAY have something in about 2 weeks. No promises thou.
dirtmover wrote: Picked up a few months ago. Seems to work OK and no issues with speed but lack of BBC iPlayer support is bothersome (for me) so I'm having to use an alternative smart DNS service.

The Windscribe app is a bit lame and often fails to connect when my device reconnects to a network but it always reports to Android that it is active, even if I turn off WiFi. It's very misleading to have the VPN icon showing when not active.
I assume you mean the Android app? It's currently be rewritten from scratch in-house, since the current one has been outsourced, and it's a piece of shit. If you're a Discord user, you can get the beta APK in our channel: https://discord.gg/tyeEXb8

It has a bunch of new features, new UI, better battery consumption, and stability.
Nov 23, 2014
517 posts
461 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
Thanks OP, will give the service a shot when I get home after work.
Nov 17, 2005
317 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto
goleafsgo_22 wrote: Hi - Is this USD 12/ year deal for the first year only or is this price locked for the future also?
This is a 1 time purchase. However you can buy it multiple times, and they will stack.
Fllay wrote: Hi,
I still have an annual PIA subscription that won't expire till December. If I buy this now, will my subscription be activated right away, or can I delay the activation to start on December 1st instead? Thanks,
It will activate right away.
shiryon wrote: 1. Is a Canadian netflix server in the works?
2. Will there be an option in the iOS version to disable on LTE? In low signal areas, connecting to a VPN is difficult and can prevent connectivity. I also use TunnelBear and it allows for having the VPN automatically engage on WiFi but automatically disengage on mobile data (if so desired).
3. Will there ever be an option to have it automatically disable the VPN on certain WiFi networks (i.e. whitelist, or "trusted" networks)? This is helpful as certain internet networks throttle VPNs (e.g. satellite) and sometimes it's just easier to not have the vpn connect on that network. I know that your windows version has the "stealth" option, but that's not available for mobile.

I've got a pro subscription and it's great, thank you Yegor.
1. Yes it is. Sometime in October hopefully, but don't hold me to it as I'm at a mercy of the networking/backend team on some things.
2. When the 2.0 version of the iOS app is released, yes, this will be possible. It's currently being developed, the ETA is 2-3 months.
3. Yes, will come in tandem with the 2.0 releases. Android will be released sooner, (beta is available in our Discord channel). It has network whitelisting, auto-connect/disconnect, and stealth mode.
Apr 29, 2007
74 posts
17 upvotes
yegorpb wrote:
2. When the 2.0 version of the iOS app is released, yes, this will be possible. It's currently being developed, the ETA is 2-3 months.
3. Yes, will come in tandem with the 2.0 releases. Android will be released sooner, (beta is available in our Discord channel). It has network whitelisting, auto-connect/disconnect, and stealth mode.
Thanks, Yegor. Let us know when/if it will be possible to participate in the beta testing of the iOS app down the road.
Jul 21, 2013
979 posts
661 upvotes
Calgary
I have WS because I got a lifetime license for 30$ a few years back. But their SOCKS5 sucks hard, it gets blocked all the time and basically useless. Only thing I would really need a VPN for.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
2423 posts
1948 upvotes
Calgary
Roger21 wrote: I have WS because I got a lifetime license for 30$ a few years back. But their SOCKS5 sucks hard, it gets blocked all the time and basically useless. Only thing I would really need a VPN for.
There's also no Kill Switch. Although the company will say (as it does on the website) that the Firewall is better. It's not. In fact, it blocks too much valid stuff in my experience, so I need to keep it off when I use the service.
In your pants!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6979 posts
3250 upvotes
Is ikev2 support more safe (for ip leaks) compared to openvpn in case the connection gets disconnections?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6979 posts
3250 upvotes
Will there be an ability to select servers within a geographic location on the Android app? Right now selecting Canada means it selects the server cluster for you, and if you wanted to connecf only to Rob Ford server you cannot.

Also for Android app, if you leave it disconnected for 1 session (and app in background) then reconnect your wifi later, then clicking on Connect button Android app will lead to 1 flash for trying to connect then instant disconnection, and it will never connect regardless of how many presses you take. It's a bug that I hope the development team is going to fix.
Jul 21, 2015
24 posts
1 upvote
L
Looking at the free version before subscribing and not able to make the browser work.. i'm connected but nothing works.. i'm at 200 mb/S

i'll look at it more later
Last edited by chuckyfo0l1 on Sep 21st, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 17, 2005
317 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto
FatWallet wrote: There's also no Kill Switch. Although the company will say (as it does on the website) that the Firewall is better. It's not. In fact, it blocks too much valid stuff in my experience, so I need to keep it off when I use the service.
Dude, why are you trolling? Especially with nonsense. This was already discussed, "kill switch" is bullshit. Run Wireshark, stream Youtube, and see for yourself.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2018 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
@yegorpb

Will the system support streaming from Amazon, Hulu, iPlayer, etc...?

Tried it on a Shield TV in free mode and it seemed relatively slow. 20 mbs on a gig line when testing using fast.com and Speedtest. Is the streaming site faster?

It would be nice for the app to allow for exceptions as to apps which bypass the vpn. At least one other vpn company does this. Also, an option for it to start up automatically on boot up.

In any case, seems interesting. Having a native Android TV app is really a plus.
Last edited by pmcd on Sep 21st, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 17, 2005
317 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote: Is ikev2 support more safe (for ip leaks) compared to openvpn in case the connection gets disconnections?
Makes no difference at all. That's the beauty of a properly implemented firewall.
badOne wrote: Will there be an ability to select servers within a geographic location on the Android app? Right now selecting Canada means it selects the server cluster for you, and if you wanted to connecf only to Rob Ford server you cannot.

Also for Android app, if you leave it disconnected for 1 session (and app in background) then reconnect your wifi later, then clicking on Connect button Android app will lead to 1 flash for trying to connect then instant disconnection, and it will never connect regardless of how many presses you take. It's a bug that I hope the development team is going to fix.
2.0 Android version allows you to select data-centers/cities. Beta is available in our Discord.

Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
2423 posts
1948 upvotes
Calgary
yegorpb wrote: Dude, why are you trolling? Especially with nonsense. This was already discussed, "kill switch" is bullshit. Run Wireshark, stream Youtube, and see for yourself.
Dude, why are you shilling? And abusively, I might add.
In your pants!
Aug 12, 2014
33 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
OP is there an Apple TV app for windscribe?
Nov 17, 2005
317 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto
No, since you can't have VPN apps on an Apple TV. That being said, we have a solution for this in the next update of the Win/Mac app.
Nov 27, 2006
136 posts
69 upvotes
toronto
yegorpb wrote: No, since you can't have VPN apps on an Apple TV. That being said, we have a solution for this in the next update of the Win/Mac app.
In this thread it sounds like there is a lot of next update, next version and looking forward to. I thank you for your time answering questions but personally might wait for some of these features to work out.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6979 posts
3250 upvotes
To be fair, PIA one of the largest competitors in the market isn't even trying to make their service work with Netflix or Amazon Prime. Windscribe already works with Netflix. He's discussing making it work with Amazon Prime, so I don't see any underhanded tactics here.
Nov 17, 2005
317 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto
outz456 wrote: In this thread it sounds like there is a lot of next update, next version and looking forward to. I thank you for your time answering questions but personally might wait for some of these features to work out.
Yea, next update is gonna be a major one. New UI is not the only thing, although it's pretty sweet.