Off Topic Archive

Locked: windshield crack, how to stop it from spreading?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2005 7:31 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
1972 posts
104 upvotes

windshield crack, how to stop it from spreading?

I got a windshield crack... I gues the cold these past days finaly gave in...

Is there a way to prevent it from spreading?
Share:
28 replies
Banned
Jan 21, 2004
2600 posts
2 upvotes
GTA
Open your yellow pages and look for windshield fix places. They will fill the crack with some special stuff or some sort of treatment and will 'look like' new.

Should be under $60 depending on the size of the crack.
Fineprint: Any brand that have [rfdlink=#]double underline link[/rfdlink] on my posts are not endorsed by me (unless stated otherwise) and automatically placed by the forum software for the site owners' commercial interests.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2003
4466 posts
4 upvotes
if its a small crack they will usually infuse some liquid glass into the chip...its usually pretty cheap..

they even did mine for free..
Why are hurricanes named after women? When they come they are wet and wild but when they leave they take your house AND your car.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2005
4608 posts
475 upvotes
If the crack isn't very big - Cdn. Tire sells bulleye for $10 that will seal the crack - works great!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6287 posts
9 upvotes
Waterloo
Get it checked ASAP.

The longer you wait the larger it will get. And if it gets too big you'll to replace the whole windsheild.

I took a stone in my windsheild last year. Wasn't really that big, but it was too big for the seal, so the whole thing had to go.
Jan 7, 2005
96 posts
Yes, get it checked ASAP. Your windshield may be compromised and if it is, it won't offer very much protection.
May 28, 2003
546 posts
Markham (G.T.A)
I learn my lesson the hard way. Very faint light chip, few months later, it cracked, there goes $300.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34740 posts
1576 upvotes
Toronto
another thing with cracks is that....... the speed an areodynamics of the wind may force the crack to open.. get it fixed asap
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
8025 posts
248 upvotes
My friend paid $40 for 2 smaller than a loonie size cracks. He went to Apple Auto Glass. Somewhere in scarborough. Along kennedy i'm guessing.
Apr 26, 2003
872 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
drill a small hole (use your smallest drill bit) right in front of the crack's edge
the crack will grow longer due to stress concentration
the bigger diameter of the hole will stop the crack from growing
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
21477 posts
1517 upvotes
Aurora
HammerJoe wrote:I got a windshield crack... I gues the cold these past days finaly gave in...

Is there a way to prevent it from spreading?
Call your insurance company and ask them to recommned a place to fill the crack. The insurance company will probably pay for it, just to avoid a larger windshield replacement fee down the road.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
1972 posts
104 upvotes
It's not a stone chip crack.

It's a line that is spreading thru the windshield.

I will have to go to the autoglass place to check it out...
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11917 posts
218 upvotes
Multiple pseudo-experts (ie mechanics that don't do chip repair) told me that repairing small chips is usually the worst thing you can do. They all said that unless the repair is done perfectly, they are MORE likely to cause cracking.

I have 2 VERY small chips in my Taurus' windshield that have been there for 3 years now without growing or changing at all....so with a sample size of n=1, I have to agree, but I don't know if this was good advice I was given or not.

Any real experts care to weigh in?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6287 posts
9 upvotes
Waterloo
HammerJoe wrote:It's not a stone chip crack.

It's a line that is spreading thru the windshield.

I will have to go to the autoglass place to check it out...
Stone chip, or a crack, it's still more or less the same thing.

It still means that you need to get it checked before it spreads. In fact I would assume a crack will spread much quicker then a stone chip.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2004
4927 posts
852 upvotes
deep wrote:Multiple pseudo-experts (ie mechanics that don't do chip repair) told me that repairing small chips is usually the worst thing you can do. They all said that unless the repair is done perfectly, they are MORE likely to cause cracking.

I have 2 VERY small chips in my Taurus' windshield that have been there for 3 years now without growing or changing at all....so with a sample size of n=1, I have to agree, but I don't know if this was good advice I was given or not.

Any real experts care to weigh in?
I had a stone chip (slightly smaller than a dime) in the bottom area of my 2004 Sienna windshield. Speedy Auto Glass tech fixed it by drilling a hole in the outer layer of the windshield glass. He injected liquid plastic into the hole that he drilled and while the plastic was seeping into the hole - he heated the inside of the windshield immediately behind the hole with his Bic lighter - he told me that the plastic will flow into the small gap between the two layers of glass and it flows better when heated with the lighter. Then he used a UV light to cure the plastic and scraped the residue off the outside of the windshield with a razor blade.

I was quoted $70 for the repair and I called my insurance company from the phone at Speedy and they paid the cost of the repair - the Comprehensive portion of my policy covered the repair (the price of the repair magically dropped to $50 when the insurance company was paying).

The insurance companies tend to pay for the repair of stone chips as it's a heck of a lot cheaper than them paying for the repair once the glass cracks. Especially on minivans with the heated (de-ice) grid at the bottom of the windshield.
× < >