Automotive

Windshield Stone Chip Repair / Windshield Replacement - Who does a great job?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2018 1:13 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12056 posts
952 upvotes
Toronto

Windshield Stone Chip Repair / Windshield Replacement - Who does a great job?

I was driving on the 401 today and got a nasty stone chip on the windshield of my 02 Camry.

In the past, I have had windshields replaced, but they were never as good as the original in terms of quality of work (aka wind/road noise). This is why I am opting for a stone chip repair solution

Can someone recommend a place that does very good chip repairs, as well as those who do very good windshield replacements? I am located in the Meadowvale and Hwy. 401 in Scarborough, but will travel a short distance for good work.

Thanks to those who reply.
101 replies
Apr 21, 2004
819 posts
50 upvotes
Pickering
This is my "goto" guy in the Meadowvale/Lawrence area for windshield chips.

Ron Tordoff
416-802-8772

He is a retired glass guy who works out of his garage in his home.

Tell him Reg from the BMW Club referred you and he will hook you up with a good price.

Most of the big brand glass companies (Apple, Standard) are $50-75 per chip, but he is cheaper than that, and you will get a receipt.

A chip takes about 20-30 minutes to repair.

If you are doing a replacement, he'll refer you to another guy who does replacements and he is the cheapest I've found for OEM and aftermarket glass.

I've probably had like 5-6 chips replaced by him over the past 3 years on different cars, and had the 2 windshields replaced (also different cars) by his windshield guy.

When I say different cars, I don't necessarily own these cars, but they belong to relatives and friends and he has yet to disappoint.

Reg
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12056 posts
952 upvotes
Toronto
Regin8r wrote:
Feb 14th, 2008 8:37 am

Ron Tordoff
416-802-8772

Tell him Reg from the BMW Club referred you and he will hook you up with a good price.

Most of the big brand glass companies (Apple, Standard) are $50-75 per chip, but he is cheaper than that, and you will get a receipt.

If you are doing a replacement, he'll refer you to another guy who does replacements and he is the cheapest I've found for OEM and aftermarket glass.

I've probably had like 5-6 chips replaced by him over the past 3 years on different cars, and had the 2 windshields replaced (also different cars) by his windshield guy.

When I say different cars, I don't necessarily own these cars, but they belong to relatives and friends and he has yet to disappoint.

Reg
Thanks for the tip. This guy sounds like he is pretty close to where I am.
Apr 21, 2004
819 posts
50 upvotes
Pickering
Yup, you get warranty against it forming into a crack.

It's a legitimately registered business with GST number and all. The price he quotes is the prices inclusive of taxes and he retoactively fills out the taxes on the invoice.

He keeps and copy and you keep a copy. The only difference is he's not really leasing a shop so his expenses are lower.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
19413 posts
1478 upvotes
I have had 2 rock chips on my windshield and I had them filled by Apple Auto Glass (2 different locations).

I think they did pretty decent work. Took about 20-25 minutes to do the work and the cost was about <$50 per time.

They were filled about 2 years ago and they have remained roughly the same size BUT I do see a few hairline webs starting to form (is this a bad sign?).

Full warranty for the work and in the event you have to replace your windshield, they will deduct the cost of the rock chip fills.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1227 posts
1 upvote
Regin8r wrote:

Ron Tordoff
416-802-8772

Reg
Does he travel or do you have to get to him? Usually how much does he charge? TIA.
:twisted: :evil: :lol: :D :cheesygri
Apr 21, 2004
819 posts
50 upvotes
Pickering
You have to go to him, you can call him and tell him Reg from the BMW club referred you as I have referred most of my family members and friends to him.

It should be around $40 (but that was in 2007) for the first chip, and subsequent chips are cheaper.
Sep 23, 2008
18 posts
2 upvotes
I read everyone's posts about Ron in Scarborough, called him today and got my chip fixed with him today - it took about 15-20 minutes and he did an excellent job. I would totally recommend him to everyone - and the best part - it only cost me $40 with tax!!

Graham
Dec 8, 2002
129 posts
I had a couple of chips in my windshield for a while. I'm getting ready to sell the car, so decided to get the chips filled. A friend suggested I go to the Speedy Autoworks booth outside the Canadian Tire at Weston and the 401.

The guy does his thing, and puts a 6 or so inch crack into my windshield.

So - there's an example of where not to go.
May 6, 2007
789 posts
1 upvote
labenge wrote:
Jun 1st, 2009 12:23 pm
I had a couple of chips in my windshield for a while. I'm getting ready to sell the car, so decided to get the chips filled. A friend suggested I go to the Speedy Autoworks booth outside the Canadian Tire at Weston and the 401.

The guy does his thing, and puts a 6 or so inch crack into my windshield.

So - there's an example of where not to go.
Well that should be better for selling :) He will have to replace it now lol
Jun 11, 2009
1 posts
Toronto
The guy at Weston at 401 is a complete rip off, a friend of mine also got his stonechip filled from him but it seemed like it was untouched, u could see the cracks coming out of it. I had mine done at a similar tent outside Canadian Tire at Warden and Eglinton the guy did a pretty good job and turned my spider-web chip into a tiny spot! cost me only $40 :cheesygri
Jan 16, 2008
179 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Regin8r wrote:

Ron Tordoff
416-802-8772

Reg
just took my car in to see this guy. He's very quick and relatively cheap. does decent work and very pleasant person to deal with.