Automotive

Windshield stone chip repairs safe to pay less?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2010 3:18 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1477 posts
33 upvotes
Markham

Windshield stone chip repairs safe to pay less?

I need to go out to fix some stone chips that i have on my windshield. I've looked into 2 places so far.

Apple auto glass. They charge $75 per chip.
Sketchy guy from cdn tire parking lot $50 per chip.

Does anyone have experience with the guy at cdn tire? is it a risk to go with the cheaper options? Do both places use the same compound and technique? or do i have to worry about the cheaper place.

any feedback will be welcomed.

thanks.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2135 posts
110 upvotes
Regina
Try Novus...... they're fantastic and I think they're $35 a chip but don't quote me on that. Going rate out here is $35.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1477 posts
33 upvotes
Markham
thanks,

any recommendations for places in toronto? (Scarborough)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
why don't you call your insurance company? Most will pay the fix for you with no premium increases. Cooperators did this for me twice without charging me anything.
May 17, 2003
820 posts
742 upvotes
Mississauga
Great guy recommended on RFD and many other car forums:

Ron Tordoff
416-802-8772

Very nice guy, professional work and fantastic price. I've used him and his glass replacement guy, Jonathan with no problems.
May 20, 2006
836 posts
30 upvotes
Places on Eglinton and Warden, behind the Nissan and Hyundai dealer, by the water tower. Paid 35 for a stone chip!
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Any local places in Mississauga? Or will that Rob guy come and do it?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
For information purposes, the repair process is the same at all of them. At tool that forces pressurized resin into the cracked area.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
6691 posts
899 upvotes
Murica
beppy wrote: I need to go out to fix some stone chips that i have on my windshield. I've looked into 2 places so far.

Apple auto glass. They charge $75 per chip.
Sketchy guy from cdn tire parking lot $50 per chip.

Does anyone have experience with the guy at cdn tire? is it a risk to go with the cheaper options? Do both places use the same compound and technique? or do i have to worry about the cheaper place.

any feedback will be welcomed.

thanks.

my dad had a friend who used to work with him in the auto parts factory, but left and worked as a windshield stone chip repair guy at CT. He says its guaranteed not to cause trouble.

I don't think you have anything to worry about getting done at cheaper places.
But if its gonna cost you $200 - 400 to do, you might as well replace the windshield.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2006
4170 posts
181 upvotes
North York
Buy the $13 kit from CanadianTire and do it yourself.
If you drive dangerously I hope you get caught and lose your license/car/dignity! :twisted: :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2006
1103 posts
3 upvotes
Alliston
yup the permatex kit works awsome, got a big chip and i did it for the first time saved big time and anyone can do it!

JAGpilot wrote: Buy the $13 kit from CanadianTire and do it yourself.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)