Automotive

Windshield Sun Shade/Heat Shield Recommendations?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2016 7:50 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 30, 2008
938 posts
618 upvotes
Pickering

Windshield Sun Shade/Heat Shield Recommendations?

Not sure of the correct term but I'm currently in the market for a windsheild sun shade to help reduce the temp and protect the vehicle interior. Do any of you use such a product and if so, do you have any feedback or suggestions?

I'm currently looking at the following but open to suggestions since I am not at all familiar with this type of product.

Covercraft UVS100 - http://www.covercraft.com/us/en/product ... nscreen.UV

WeatherTech TechShade - http://www.weathertech.ca/en/techshade/

Would prefer to purchase local in the GTA but don't mind ordering online if required.
10 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17764 posts
1806 upvotes
Woodbridge
Overpriced.

Just get one at Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire. I used it all on my vehicles, it does the job. It's not a perfect fit but it's half the price.

EDIT: Looked it up, WeatherTech for my Murano is $85.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
1543 posts
147 upvotes
Not sure if they actually lower the temp inside the car, but what I found most useful is that the shade makes the steering wheel more bearable to grip. Perhaps it can also help to make the plastic of the dashboard lasts longer.

I just use an old one from CT that is not not a perfect beautifully 100% fit like the Covercraft picture. I see that Dollarama also sell them, but they seem small and not as rigid as mine.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21165 posts
10597 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I got one from the dealership for like $40 but I'm pretty positive they undercharged me as the list price was around $100. Profit earned!
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Nov 3, 2015
247 posts
48 upvotes
Clarkson, ON
I got one from Cd Tire but it wasn't big enough to fit the windshield, although the specs said it would be. And it would just fold instead of staying expanded. Gotta get myself one too for this summer.
[OP]
Sep 30, 2008
938 posts
618 upvotes
Pickering
Appreciate the feedback everyone, thank you. I'll check out the ones on sale at CDN Tire & Walmart.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2467 posts
548 upvotes
Ottawa
I think at most they just prevent the forward interior from getting faded.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30023 posts
15869 upvotes
Ottawa
This is what I use...blocks out the sun and tells the next theif to keep walking.

Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
11390 posts
1033 upvotes
Brampton
The dollar store has the cheapest one I could find and it does the job.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Dec 3, 2010
606 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Bite the bullet and get covercraft. Custom made, perfect fit. Totally worth it