• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2017 1:24 pm
Nov 18, 2014
307 posts
290 upvotes
Calgary, AB
tnetisg wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 2:20 pm
Which is exactly why people shouldn't consider cheap windshield replacements like this that could use inferior glass and adhesive that may not seal properly compromising the structure of the car and let water get in and lead to rust.

It's best to deal with stone chips right away that may lead to cracks instead of ever having to replace the glass.

I read an article that went in depth about the dangers of cheap windshield replacement, can't seem to find it at the moment though.
Almost all of the windshields sold in Canada come from the same factory in Mexico, doesn't matter if you buy the OEM shield or the after market shield. They are one and the same windshield. They also all conform to the same Canadian safety standards regardless of OEM or aftermarket.
It is an urban legend that there is a quality difference between the more expensive OEM shields and an aftermarket shield, perpetrated by the car manufactures who, of course, want you to buy their OEM windshields, because they make a big profit on those (same as buying a $100 Monster 4K HDMI cable versus a cheap 4K HDMI cable).
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
1899 posts
417 upvotes
Edmonton
called the 1-800 in the facebook post from OP. For Edmonton, most windshields are $169...... ( at least our application was). guess we're $20 more for the "winter special" here...... still not too chabby....... thanks OP......
Aug 31, 2007
242 posts
76 upvotes
rrabbit10 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 2:32 pm
Almost all of the windshields sold in Canada come from the same factory in Mexico, doesn't matter if you buy the OEM shield or the after market shield. They are one and the same windshield. They also all conform to the same Canadian safety standards regardless of OEM or aftermarket.
It is an urban legend that there is a quality difference between the more expensive OEM shields and an aftermarket shield, perpetrated by the car manufactures who, of course, want you to buy their OEM windshields, because they make a big profit on those (same as buying a $100 Monster 4K HDMI cable versus a cheap 4K HDMI cable).
Nice, you ignored the most important thing, the inferior installation leading to safety issues.
Nov 18, 2014
307 posts
290 upvotes
Calgary, AB
tnetisg wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 2:42 pm
Nice, you ignored the most important thing, the inferior installation leading to safety issues.
Any shop can use inferior installation. Paying "premium" does not guarantee at all that you will get a premium non inferior installation, that is why I ignored that part of your reply.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2011
1349 posts
757 upvotes
Edmonton
$169 plus a couple extra fees in Edmonton. Thanks op
Jun 24, 2011
849 posts
102 upvotes
MARKHAM
Seriously need a new windshield even tho my car isn't cracked or damage. The glass has too much pitting and looks very old...
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
1114 posts
227 upvotes
When I last needed to have the windshield replaced, I called a few ads I found in the yellow pages. I called around and ended up going with a guy with one of the largest ad in yellow page.

To my surprise, when I got there, it was in the garage of some guy's house.

That was 7 years ago and the windshield is still holding up well.
Apr 14, 2017
121 posts
74 upvotes
Slono wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 1:04 pm
I didn’t think anybody replaced their cracked windshields in Calgary. Last time I was there almost every second car I saw had a cracked windshield.
Everyone's been waiting for this promo.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2801 posts
1570 upvotes
Markham
rrabbit10 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 2:32 pm
I call BS on several points.

While windshields need to meet certain DOT ior Canadian equivalant standards, there is variations in in quality and raw material used between different manufacturers.

Where did you even get the idea that "almost all windshields sold in Canada comes from the same factory in Mexico"?! There are tons of manufacturers from PPG, SEKURIT, Fuyao and so on with plants all over US/Canada/Mexico supplying Canadian market.

Now this doesn't mean that paying more for the branded glass will always mean youmre getting the best quality but the notion that you put out that all glass is created equal regardless of price or manufacturer is just some made up BS.
May 10, 2012
19 posts
5 upvotes
X24Secret wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 4:13 pm
I call BS on several points.

While windshields need to meet certain DOT ior Canadian equivalant standards, there is variations in in quality and raw material used between different manufacturers.

Where did you even get the idea that "almost all windshields sold in Canada comes from the same factory in Mexico"?! There are tons of manufacturers from PPG, SEKURIT, Fuyao and so on with plants all over US/Canada/Mexico supplying Canadian market.

Now this doesn't mean that paying more for the branded glass will always mean youmre getting the best quality but the notion that you put out that all glass is created equal regardless of price or manufacturer is just some made up BS.

Not to mention the knock off made in China Glass. I had a body shop 'substitute' a windshield with the XYG Made in China model for a PPG. The XYG had crazy distortion and a rainbow...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2005
1643 posts
214 upvotes
Calgary
hotsock2001 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 4:45 pm
Not to mention the knock off made in China Glass. I had a body shop 'substitute' a windshield with the XYG Made in China model for a PPG. The XYG had crazy distortion and a rainbow...
kwokming.kwong wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 4:51 pm
subpar Chinese-made replacement glass
All these assumptions for people who haven't actually had the service done.

Just spent the day driving around with the new windshield and there's no wind noise, distortion, glare, or anything else out of the ordinary. Perfect as far as I'm concerned.
Oct 24, 2005
887 posts
196 upvotes
Calgary
Saw this post at 12pm, called at 12:05pm and got an appointment booked for 1pm. My car was in the shop for about an hour and a half. When I picked it up they had cleaned and vacuumed both the driver and passenger mats and carpets as well as cleaned up the dash.

Extremely happy with the speed, quality, and customer service!

Thanks OP!
Oct 24, 2005
887 posts
196 upvotes
Calgary
Saw this post at 12pm, called at 12:05pm and got an appointment booked for 1pm. My car was in the shop for about an hour and a half. When I picked it up they had cleaned and vacuumed both the driver and passenger mats and carpets as well as cleaned up the dash.

Extremely happy with the speed, quality, and customer service!

Thanks OP!
Oct 4, 2008
684 posts
92 upvotes
what is force impact differential (speed, mass of object flying to your windshield) in 1) object that will stay out of your vehicle after hitting windshield with no preexisting cracks vs. 2) object that will fly in your vehicle because you have a crack already. I believe the crack does not make much difference - whatever will fly in through windshield and hit you in the head, will do so independently to having existing cracks or not.

And if it will ever come to the few Newtons of force preexisting crack will allow in - I am willing to gamble. Im either dead or I am not, no matter if crack is there or not.

What is more impactfull and much more dangerous is non cracked glass that his microchips due to sand that break light just in such a way that you just CAN'T see nothing. And for those reasons I change my windshields - sometimes they have cracks, sometimes they don't.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)