Hot Deals

[Windshield Surgeons Calgary] HOT!! Windshield replacements for $150

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2017 2:18 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1161 posts
188 upvotes
Damn, I wish we could get something like this in Vancouver. Unfortunately no glass shop will work for anything less than ICBC rates.
May 31, 2007
183 posts
52 upvotes
I've been in auto body for 23 years. They are putting in cheap as crap aftermarket glass.... have fun with that.
Sep 11, 2017
30 posts
10 upvotes
rrabbit10 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 2:32 pm
Almost all of the windshields sold in Canada come from the same factory in Mexico, doesn't matter if you buy the OEM shield or the after market shield. They are one and the same windshield. They also all conform to the same Canadian safety standards regardless of OEM or aftermarket.
It is an urban legend that there is a quality difference between the more expensive OEM shields and an aftermarket shield, perpetrated by the car manufactures who, of course, want you to buy their OEM windshields, because they make a big profit on those (same as buying a $100 Monster 4K HDMI cable versus a cheap 4K HDMI cable).
I had my windshields changed on an Impala from Calgary (though from a different vendor). Paid $135+tax through Groupon. And I can tell you while i am happy with what I got vs what I paid. That was most definitely not an equal quality glass on my car. Fitting was top notch, however the most visible difference for me is the light diffusion of incoming headlights at night. I kept on taking off glasses and cleaning them but realized later it's the windscreen that's causing those halos/diffusion. Some people might not notice it, but that was a clear giveaway for me. Having said that, I would still do it again as my long drives in winter = frequent cracks on windshield and I wouldn't want to pay the OEM price everytime. But for folks, who change their windscreen hardly ever, they should definitely look into having the superior glass installed.

Disclaimer: I don't know the quality of the glass this vendor installs and maybe they have a better quality glass for a cheaper price than a dealership would have
Jan 14, 2017
167 posts
52 upvotes
canadianclub wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 2:07 pm
As someone who lived in Calgary for 3+ years this is an interesting option. That being said I waited until I moved back to Ontario to replace my windshield and found an aftermarket one for a Mazda 3 under $130 installed . Two years later and there's still no issues with glare or chips.
radeonboy wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 2:14 pm

Where did you find that deal in Ontario? Looking for same one.
+1 looking for someone in GTA
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2796 posts
1570 upvotes
Markham
darkesha wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 8:51 pm
what is force impact differential (speed, mass of object flying to your windshield) in 1) object that will stay out of your vehicle after hitting windshield with no preexisting cracks vs. 2) object that will fly in your vehicle because you have a crack already. I believe the crack does not make much difference - whatever will fly in through windshield and hit you in the head, will do so independently to having existing cracks or not.

And if it will ever come to the few Newtons of force preexisting crack will allow in - I am willing to gamble. Im either dead or I am not, no matter if crack is there or not.

What is more impactfull and much more dangerous is non cracked glass that his microchips due to sand that break light just in such a way that you just CAN'T see nothing. And for those reasons I change my windshields - sometimes they have cracks, sometimes they don't.
The main concern with cracked windshield is more that it won't be able to transfer crash forces optimally.

It's probably not gonna make a tremendous difference as the windshield would likely crack anyway under serious crash forces but it's a valid concern and cheap enough to fix/replace not to make it worth a gamble.
Jul 26, 2007
936 posts
69 upvotes
Calgary
Nuprapture wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 2:03 pm
It took just under an hour while I waited.

They had me make an appointment, so I doubt these guys would schedule you in too close to closing time or would at least finish it off if it went over time. They seemed pretty professional, so can't imagine they'd leave you having to rent if they could finish it off that day
Good to know, requested a quote.

Went to another glass place a couple months ago right after I got the crack, they dicked me around for 3-4 hours before saying "oh sorry, your car is too new, none of the aftermarket options fit"... then why tf did I waste 3 hours of my time for nothing...
Oct 5, 2006
820 posts
414 upvotes
Calgary
Driving down Deerfoot , it's only a matter of time before you get a chipped windshield. The worst case for me was, I bought a new windshield and before my credit card bill came. I got another chip. I have given up on repairing it, until It impairs my vision
Nov 24, 2007
753 posts
163 upvotes
Thanks OP! Booked one of our vehicles for here in Edmonton for $175 ($169 windshield & labour + $6 disposal fee)

As told to me on the phone by the shop manager, this "winter promo" varies by region as follows:
Calgary - $149 + $6 disposal fee
Red Deer - $159 + $6 disposal fee
Edmonton - $169 + $6 disposal fee

I booked anyway, because dealership wants $230 to replace the windshield, and they take it to Windshield Surgeon to do the work. So savings of about $50.
Nov 18, 2014
307 posts
290 upvotes
Calgary, AB
dingmah wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 1:25 pm
Thanks OP! Booked one of our vehicles for here in Edmonton for $175 ($169 windshield & labour + $6 disposal fee)

As told to me on the phone by the shop manager, this "winter promo" varies by region as follows:
Calgary - $149 + $6 disposal fee
Red Deer - $159 + $6 disposal fee
Edmonton - $169 + $6 disposal fee

I booked anyway, because dealership wants $230 to replace the windshield, and they take it to Windshield Surgeon to do the work. So savings of about $50.
In Calgary and they tell me it is 169$ for Calgary... No $149...
Nov 24, 2007
753 posts
163 upvotes
rrabbit10 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 2:02 pm
In Calgary and they tell me it is 169$ for Calgary... No $149...
Haha show them the WS Calgary Facebook page. But they can easily say "for your vehicle, the windshield is different, and will cost $169. $149 is based on X."
Either way, less than $200 for a windshield replacement is a pretty good deal.
Nov 18, 2014
307 posts
290 upvotes
Calgary, AB
dingmah wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 2:11 pm
Haha show them the WS Calgary Facebook page. But they can easily say "for your vehicle, the windshield is different, and will cost $169. $149 is based on X."
Either way, less than $200 for a windshield replacement is a pretty good deal.
Says 169 on their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/WSurgeons/ Unless you have a different link...
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2016
4538 posts
104 upvotes
SK
This reminds me of the "to good to be true" quote.

Whats the warranty on leakage. Or add whatever questions you have about after the job is done coverage, etc
Mar 12, 2002
137 posts
7 upvotes
Olds
Just finished getting my windshield replaced at the NE Calgary location and it is definitely $149 + $6 environment fee. Great service... They vacuumed my vehicle also.
Dec 27, 2011
221 posts
42 upvotes
CALGARY
Do they use PGW (pittsburgh glass works) glass?