• Feb 28th, 2015 8:53 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks for the above review. I hope to try out this place on the weekend.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2004
3983 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto
Raggie wrote: Thanks for the above review. I hope to try out this place on the weekend.
You're welcome. But I should add, if you're coming all the way from Mississauga to try this place, don't bother. Only exceptional restaurants are worth that type of inconvenience. But if you happen to be in the area, there aren't a lot of choices nearby, unless you enjoy overcooked Portuguese style chicken.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
mjl_toronto wrote: You're welcome. But I should add, if you're coming all the way from Mississauga to try this place, don't bother. Only exceptional restaurants are worth that type of inconvenience. But if you happen to be in the area, there aren't a lot of choices nearby, unless you enjoy overcooked Portuguese style chicken.
I'll be in the area and will pick one up on the way home. The only reason I want to try it is I'm craving chicken wings lately. I sure wouldn't go out of my way just to try a burger unless it was exceptional. :razz:
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
mjl_toronto wrote: Final Thoughts? As we were eating, we wondered where else can we go to get a decent burger and wings that isn't a pub or restaurant? For that reason, and the fact I live relatively close by, I will definitely be a repeat customer. I also overheard other customers rave about how good the fried chicken was, so I'm really interested in trying that out.
The key words are "Decent burger". There's no shortage of burger places if you head all the way over to Warden & Eglinton.
How good they are is most respectfully a matter of opinion.
Then you have Watts inside Eglinton Square, (it has an outside section for burgers to eat in the mall, or you can dine in) but it's closing down and moving into the former Route 66 space in the mall.
At that point, I honestly do not know if that means their burgers will be for dine in only.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1955 upvotes
Elmira
We appreciate that review, thank you mjl_toronto. Place sounds pretty good! Although I agree, only time I'd want shredded cheese on my burger is if they are doing it like the places on diners drive ins & dives.. Place a giant handful of shredded cheese on top of the burger on the hot flat top, then cover it with a dome
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2623 posts
162 upvotes
For that area, you have Jetsunburger (great freshly ground burgers), 5 Guys, and Big Moe's.

Big Moe's tuesday special can't be beat though, for freshly ground burgers on a flat top. The special is a cheeseburger for $2.79
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1955 upvotes
Elmira
Raggie wrote: I sure wouldn't go out of my way just to try a burger unless it was exceptional. :razz:
I drive crazy distances out of my way just to get what I want sometimes.. I will detour to Shawarma Empire in Scarborough any time I'm even remotely close, even if it means driving 20 mins out of my way!
Feb 15, 2015
6 posts
4 upvotes
Vaughan
toeknee89 wrote: Hi Wingburger,

The wings that I ordered were a little dry. However, I will admit that there was the right amount of sauce on it.
Apologies that the wings were not cooked to your satisfaction. If you are in the area feel free to stop by and we will provide another order of wings or any other similarly priced menu item at no charge.
Feb 15, 2015
6 posts
4 upvotes
Vaughan
mjl_toronto wrote: Okay, I'll post my opinion.

I went earlier this week with my wife to try this place out. I love burgers, she loves wings, so we were hoping this place wouldn't disappoint. Short answer, it didn't.

About the burger: The burger isn't the best, but I enjoyed it. I would prefer the patty having more salt, less pepper, but it had a good beefy taste to it as opposed to over seasoned/spiced meat. Most importantly, the patty had a nice crust, and was a slight pink in the middle. It wasn't dripping with grease (which honestly I sometimes enjoy), but it wasn't completely dry either. This is personal preference, but I enjoy burgers on the slightly greasier side.

They use shredded cheddar cheese, which I'm not a fan of. Prefer the sliced version. Fortunately, most of it was melted so it wasn't falling all over me. IIRC, the burger comes standard with cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion and sauce. I couldn't tell what the sauce was, but everything tasted fine together. I may add pickle next time, but thought I'd try it as they serve it standard.

My favourite part about the burger was honestly the sesame seed bun. At first, I wasn't really keen on it. It looked like it was going to be dry and crumbly. But man was it really good. It's more of the chewy type, as opposed to the soft wonder bread style. The sesame seeds were also noticeably flavourful. The bread had a slight pull to it, as well as a touch of sweetness. My wife even commented on how much she liked the bread. So good job on that! It was also well proportioned to the meat (I had the 1/4lb, will try 1/2lb next time).

Overall, the burger tasted very fresh and homemade.

About the fries: The fries are shoestring fries, but they seemed a tiny bit thicker than other shoestring fries. They were very golden in colour, and crisp. Likely double fried, and not greasy. They also could have used a bit more salt. The portion of the fries were generous. I saw someone eating a poutine, and that was pretty big as well. It looked like real cheese curds too, but that should be expected these days. Will have to try the poutine another time, maybe not with the 1/2lb burger though.

About the wings: I had one of the wings from my wife just to sample it. They definitely are jumbo, likely capon, and thus didn't really didn't taste like chicken. I dislike capon meat, but I know a lot of wing places serve that now. Otherwise, the wings we had were very moist and crisp with the right amount of sauce. The wings aren't heavily battered, just lightly dusted. The flavour my wife ordered was orange ginger. Gotta say, it's not something I enjoyed, but at least it wasn't too sweet. They have a good variety of flavours, including some potentially really spicy ones, but aside from wanting to try the really spicy wings, I probably wouldn't order them again. My wife said she would. On a side note, the menu said all wings come with veggie sticks, but I think they forgot to give us our veggies.

Final Thoughts? As we were eating, we wondered where else can we go to get a decent burger and wings that isn't a pub or restaurant? For that reason, and the fact I live relatively close by, I will definitely be a repeat customer. I also overheard other customers rave about how good the fried chicken was, so I'm really interested in trying that out.
Thank you very much for the review. To clarify, the wings are not Capon, they are large roaster chicken wings. I am glad your wife enjoyed them. We apologize for missing the veggie sticks that should have come with them. If you are in the area please have you or your wife mention the Red Flag post and we will provide a large order of veggie sticks or an order of fries at no charge.