Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14631 posts
3358 upvotes
Vancouver

Wings? How many in one pound?

I haven't had wings in ages. How many wings in a pound? rough estimate?

thanks
38 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
1371 posts
20 upvotes
The 6
depends on the size .. will vary from 7 - 10 wings.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8443 posts
2348 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah it depends on the size of the wing. I find it can be anywhere from 8 to 12.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18836 posts
1902 upvotes
Elmira
Expect 7 from a place like TUrtle Jacks
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2008
4945 posts
81 upvotes
York Region
If you come to my house I'll give you a nice pound. ;)
Network Architect/Engineer - I.T. Professional
CCNP ENARSI
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2008
2793 posts
933 upvotes
I don't think I've ever gotten more than 8.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18836 posts
1902 upvotes
Elmira
I can't get over how god damn expensive wings are at pubs and restauraunts

You can pick up a massive pack of air chilled chicken wings at any PC supermarket for like 4 or 5 bucks.. To charge $8.99 for 8 pieces is highway robbery. Probably why I always hate ordering wings anywhere I go -- I just can't justify it
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12603 posts
2308 upvotes
duckdown wrote: I can't get over how god damn expensive wings are at pubs and restauraunts

You can pick up a massive pack of air chilled chicken wings at any PC supermarket for like 4 or 5 bucks.. To charge $8.99 for 8 pieces is highway robbery. Probably why I always hate ordering wings anywhere I go -- I just can't justify it
Word....

Actually buying wings at a supermarket isn't cheap either. In Calgary wing nights all over town could be found everywhere for 15-35 cents per wing.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31267 posts
17274 upvotes
I've seen as few as 6.
They were mutant chickens.

Most places give you 8-14.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2005
3286 posts
46 upvotes
Ottawa
duckdown wrote: I can't get over how god damn expensive wings are at pubs and restauraunts

slowtyper wrote: Word....

Actually buying wings at a supermarket isn't cheap either. In Calgary wing nights all over town could be found everywhere for 15-35 cents per wing.
"wing nights" in the GTA seem much more expensive to me. at least compared to Ottawa. with the purchase of a drink, you can find a lot of places around here that charge $0.25-$0.35 for a decent quality wing (even less for crap wings).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31267 posts
17274 upvotes
Remember that making wings at home isn't cheap either.
The raw (retail) cost is $3 per lb. (retail) cost of sauce is another $2 (depending on how much sauce you use), fryer oil/maintenance/etc is another buck or two, plus labor (let's say free since it's a labor of love).

So it's costing you $6-7 for a lb of wings to make at home.
Not to mention it makes your house smell like deep fried.

Even when buying wings in bulk I'm paying $2.50 per lb and $20 per 3L of Franks.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
3517 posts
358 upvotes
Toronto
it doesn't matter how many wings are in a pound...you're still gonna eat a pound of wings...it could be 5 jumbo wings or 15 mini wings, point is ur gonna eat the same weight of food (unless ur concerned about how much the bones weigh, lol)

that's just like ordering a pizza, how many slices u want it cut into? when ever the pizza guy asks me how many slices i want it cut into i'll say: "cut it into 6 slices b/c i can't eat 12"...duh, i'm still gonna be eating the same amount of food if i finish the whole pizza...har har har... :D
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31267 posts
17274 upvotes
boredstudent3 wrote: it doesn't matter how many wings are in a pound...you're still gonna eat a pound of wings...it could be 5 jumbo wings or 15 mini wings, point is ur gonna eat the same weight of food (unless ur concerned about how much the bones weigh, lol)

that's just like ordering a pizza, how many slices u want it cut into? when ever the pizza guy asks me how many slices i want it cut into i'll say: "cut it into 6 slices b/c i can't eat 12"...duh, i'm still gonna be eating the same amount of food if i finish the whole pizza...har har har... :D
I'd rather have 5 jumbo wings than 15 mini wings.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5115 posts
984 upvotes
T.
In restaurant terms wings are generally described as the number in a pound, it really depends on the weight per wing.

E.g. U8 means 8 or under per pound. U12 means 12 or under.

At more expensive places you will usually get U10, maybe U8, but they are expensive to buy.

Most places serve a smaller wing on "wing nights" as they are cheaper to buy and fry more quickly. They may be as small as U12's or U14's.

Shrimp are also explained in this manner - they go from U6 all the way to U90 or more.

I think the smallest wing would be about U16 - an ounce each, which is pretty tiny.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
183 upvotes
Burnaby
slowtyper wrote: Word....

Your pricey pint is subsidizing those cheap wings, and I don't know of anyplace in town that doesn't tie the number of wings you can order to the number of drinks you buy. On top of that, in most places the wing-night wings aren't as good as the regular-price wings because they mass-produce them and keep them warm in an oven or steam-table, where at full menu price they're cooked to order.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
183 upvotes
Burnaby
death_hawk wrote: I'd rather have 5 jumbo wings than 15 mini wings.
If the wings are too big I feel, like some of the other posters, that there must have been something really, really abnormal about the chickens they came from. Maybe they blasted them with radiation or steroids as hatchlings to make them grow that big.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)