• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2016 4:27 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3724 posts
432 upvotes
duckdown wrote: I can't get over how god damn expensive wings are at pubs and restauraunts
And I can't get over how many bars call wings "suicide" when they end up tasting FAR more sour (vinegar) than hot...
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18836 posts
1902 upvotes
Elmira
Shimso wrote: And I can't get over how many bars call wings "suicide" when they end up tasting FAR more sour (vinegar) than hot...
It's ****in Franks Red Hot, lame as hell. I hate that vinegar crap too, no flavor of its own..

Even more disappointing is that alot of shawarma places are using it as hot sauce now.. Nobodys doing homemade stuff anymore?

pathetic.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5954 posts
1588 upvotes
Toronto
boredstudent3 wrote: it doesn't matter how many wings are in a pound...you're still gonna eat a pound of wings...it could be 5 jumbo wings or 15 mini wings, point is ur gonna eat the same weight of food (unless ur concerned about how much the bones weigh, lol)
It does matter if you're sharing with people.
Jan 29, 2010
122 posts
Toronto
I've eaten a lot of wings and I'm not a fan of ones that are too big or too small.
The big ones I find are kinda fatty and there's a higher chance that the restaurant may undercook them.
The small ones obviously don't have enough meat on them and are often dried out.
8-12 wings/lb is fine with me.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3724 posts
432 upvotes
duckdown wrote: It's ****in Franks Red Hot, lame as hell. I hate that vinegar crap too, no flavor of its own..

Even more disappointing is that alot of shawarma places are using it as hot sauce now.. Nobodys doing homemade stuff anymore?

pathetic.
Even the Teriyaki Experience is using it....I was expecting Sriracha sauce instead. :|

I don't understand how vinegar + red food colouring = desirable hot sauce.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12603 posts
2308 upvotes
Wingding wrote: Your pricey pint is subsidizing those cheap wings, and I don't know of anyplace in town that doesn't tie the number of wings you can order to the number of drinks you buy. On top of that, in most places the wing-night wings aren't as good as the regular-price wings because they mass-produce them and keep them warm in an oven or steam-table, where at full menu price they're cooked to order.
Correct on the liquor sale subsidizing wing prices, but don't tell me you guys go for wing nights here and drink water lol It was always at least one drink per customer (pop is ok too) but there was never once a limit on the number of wings you could order per drink. One drink all night was never once a problem anywhere in the city.

As for your mass-produced comments, depends on the place you go but some places their wings are just as good as any other place on wing nights. The high volume places who have quick turnover usually put out better product. And actually I knew a few smaller places that cooked to order on wing nights as well since precooking them would just cost them too much in wasted product if business was slow that night.
Apr 28, 2015
1 posts
duckdown wrote: I can't get over how god damn expensive wings are at pubs and restauraunts

You can pick up a massive pack of air chilled chicken wings at any PC supermarket for like 4 or 5 bucks.. To charge $8.99 for 8 pieces is highway robbery. Probably why I always hate ordering wings anywhere I go -- I just can't justify it
You do realize a restaurant or bar has to pay not only for the actual wings and sauces, etc but to have someone cook them for you, someone to serve them to you, rent, advertising, power and water, napkins, furniture, someone to wash the dishes, garbage services, insurance, and a few other things I am sure I am forgetting, and, oh yeah, they then want to actually make a profit.

And, oh yeah, you also get to sit there and relax while being waited on, maybe while watching a TV or listening to music, and you do not have to cook or clean up after yourself or use any electricity, etc.

And ALL that for only $8.99!

Personally I have always seen eating out as being WAY under-priced but that is competition and I love that it is so cheap as I love eating out and being waited on.

"Why waste a perfectly good life and all it has to offer by being cheap!" is my philosophy
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2014
1251 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I don't order wings too often if I go out to eat, but I like the breaded wings at pizza pizza. Otherwise my fav is probably wings from M&Ms. When it is on sale, it is a great deal!
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18836 posts
1902 upvotes
Elmira
AskTheTicketGuy wrote: You do realize a restaurant or bar has to pay not only for the actual wings and sauces, etc but to have someone cook them for you, someone to serve them to you, rent, advertising, power and water, napkins, furniture, someone to wash the dishes, garbage services, insurance, and a few other things I am sure I am forgetting, and, oh yeah, they then want to actually make a profit.

And, oh yeah, you also get to sit there and relax while being waited on, maybe while watching a TV or listening to music, and you do not have to cook or clean up after yourself or use any electricity, etc.

And ALL that for only $8.99!

Personally I have always seen eating out as being WAY under-priced but that is competition and I love that it is so cheap as I love eating out and being waited on.

"Why waste a perfectly good life and all it has to offer by being cheap!" is my philosophy
a thrilling response to a 5 year old thread - thanks for bumping that, genius

can only imagine what this post looked like before MrDisco edited it
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18836 posts
1902 upvotes
Elmira
Buffalo Wild Wings has traditional wing night on Tuesday (65cents) and boneless night on Thursday (70cents).. the wings are so tiny though !
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6132 posts
1005 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
Wingding wrote: Your pricey pint is subsidizing those cheap wings, and I don't know of anyplace in town that doesn't tie the number of wings you can order to the number of drinks you buy.
Really? I have never seen that lol. Must be an Eastern Canada thing, or times have changed since I used to go out for wings years ago
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31267 posts
17274 upvotes
Wingding wrote: Your pricey pint is subsidizing those cheap wings, and I don't know of anyplace in town that doesn't tie the number of wings you can order to the number of drinks you buy.
That's actually illegal in some provinces unless it's also tied to non-alcoholic drinks.
On top of that, in most places the wing-night wings aren't as good as the regular-price wings because they mass-produce them and keep them warm in an oven or steam-table, where at full menu price they're cooked to order.
That's true too. Some places do get it right but others butcher it horribly.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13007 posts
3088 upvotes
Toronto
Back in the 90s, Pre-mutant gmo fed wing, before everybody wanted wing days were like 5-10 cents a wing. You could get stuffed for about $3.

I also remember getting a pound from wing machine where they actually weigh it and it was a huge amount. Leads me to believe they underweight it at pubs.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 14, 2007
5038 posts
1458 upvotes
Regina
i have seen 6 wings in a lb to 12…definitely prefer the 10-12 range…favourites are buffalo ranch for wet…garlic lemon pepper for dry
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
1347 posts
143 upvotes
Anyone remember Peel pub downtown, I think they had like 9 cents a wing nights... lol. Of course the wings were only a size of a pinky and weren't that great...
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13007 posts
3088 upvotes
Toronto
EM_K19 wrote: Anyone remember Peel pub downtown, I think they had like 9 cents a wing nights... lol. Of course the wings were only a size of a pinky and weren't that great...
I do! Those were great times. When it first opened, they were even cheaper. They were like like $0.04 or something like for the first few weeks or so. Then something like .07 then .09 cents for most of that first year until spring/summer. It was Thursday I believe that was wing night (or was it always like that?). You would order 50 and just get sick of it trying to eat it. My friend's the one that took me there after seeing an ad for it at York.

That first year or so which was my first year in university, we went pretty much every other Thursday, got sloshed from those 4 L pitchers which was something like $20 I believe. These were the days before seatbelt rules and RIDE. After the first year or so, that place just got ridiculous busy, trashy, and just plain bad. Then I remember they jacked up the price to $0.25 cents. That was a sad day.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9313 posts
5564 upvotes
duckdown wrote: Buffalo Wild Wings has traditional wing night on Tuesday (65cents) and boneless night on Thursday (70cents).. the wings are so tiny though !
65 cents?! Wtf?!

I remember going to some place (name escapes me right now) beside Henry's camera store on Steeles for wing night. We used to load up on 15c wings and beer (we could always get served underage there).

Ahhh, memories...
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Sep 29, 2016
1 posts
Used to get wing wednesday in Calgary ...10 cents a wing ....1.50 for fifteen wings and the 5 bucks for a beer lol don t remember the name.of the place ...sorry

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)