Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Winners

Winners - Suunto Core Alu Black: $120

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2013 11:28 am
Tags:
Jul 19, 2004
197 posts
100 upvotes

[Winners] Winners - Suunto Core Alu Black: $120

I considered it at $229, but couldn't resist at $120 on clearance at the Winners in Downtown Vancouver. Before clearance, I've seen one at the Winners in Park Royal.

http://www.suunto.com/us/products/Outdo ... -Alu-Black

I have a Suunto Core from the Costco deal two years ago for $160 and I love the watch. Oddly enough, I love the sunrise/sunset view. Let's me know how much daylight I have left if I want to go for a run, or work outside.

If you're interested, go browse your local Winners.
55 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1293 posts
1643 upvotes
ottawa
It's a great watch and not just for outdoors. I got it as a gift and for $120 it's hot!
Oct 9, 2005
314 posts
3 upvotes
how many were there in downtown vancouver?
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
Didn't these watches have tons of reliability issues?
Dec 25, 2005
720 posts
154 upvotes
Vancouver
nice deal, but likely location specific and YMMV.
Jul 19, 2004
197 posts
100 upvotes
Just the one downtown. The first one I got has been bulletproof, but I also don't take it swimming or diving ... hiking though, yes. The battery cover was a pain to remove, and it was butchered pretty badly. Wrote an email to Suunto, and they sent me a new cover right away without any questions.
Oct 31, 2011
99 posts
101 upvotes
MONTREAL
i bought the last one in winners in eaton center in montreal, I am not sure if I am going to keep it, the battery life is kinda short, and I want a more resistant watch
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
1744 posts
1341 upvotes
Montreal
llance wrote: i bought the last one in winners in eaton center in montreal, I am not sure if I am going to keep it, the battery life is kinda short, and I want a more resistant watch
was it the silver one with the black leather strap? I was gonna go down there and look for one today but I like the black and the white ones more.
Oct 31, 2011
99 posts
101 upvotes
MONTREAL
molybdenum wrote: was it the silver one with the black leather strap? I was gonna go down there and look for one today but I like the black and the white ones more.
yes, i got the silver one with black leather strap. the a*****er and eaton center winners are both sold out
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2011
11874 posts
24152 upvotes
If you purchase it using these Winners GCs, it becomes an even better deal, since you will save another 20%
Jul 19, 2004
197 posts
100 upvotes
llance wrote: i bought the last one in winners in eaton center in montreal, I am not sure if I am going to keep it, the battery life is kinda short, and I want a more resistant watch
I got at least a year out of the battery, and it's the compass that really works the battery hard. You can also easily put the watch to sleep if you have a few watches that you rotate through. The watch is also designed so that you can change the battery yourself. I'm okay with 50 cents a year :)

http://www.mec.ca/Main/home.jsp?bmForm= ... search.y=0
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Thanks! Surprisingly I got one. Between my new seiko monster, the sears pro trekcoming and this I don't know what to do any more. Well at least they follow some kind of progression. Fully mechanical automatic 200m diver -> Analog/Digital quartz 100m -> Fully digital 30m (if even that, they really only claim some amount of water resistance for the cores).

Of the three, I get the feeling I would choose the wear the seiko the most and the suunto the least.

I asked if there was another one at the store, she looked and found one more in the cabinet... I chose the nicer specimen of the two and the urge to hoard came over me but there was a guy stalking behind me I could feel was after the same thing so I let it go. Hey guy, I know you're lurking here!

Haven't tried it yet, I hope I didn't pick one that is a dud out of the two... wouldn't be surprised if they come with dead batteries knowing Winners.

I expected the metal body one to be a lot heavier, but I guess I shouldn't have been expecting stainless steel weight when it's supposed to be made of pop cans. Wonder how durable it is... the clasp on the leather strap seems kind of cheap to me as well.
amplitude wrote: Just the one downtown. The first one I got has been bulletproof, but I also don't take it swimming or diving ... hiking though, yes. The battery cover was a pain to remove, and it was butchered pretty badly. Wrote an email to Suunto, and they sent me a new cover right away without any questions.
Do you have any tips on how to get it off WITHOUT butchering it after you've gone through it in hindsight?
Jul 19, 2004
197 posts
100 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote: Do you have any tips on how to get it off WITHOUT butchering it after you've gone through it in hindsight?
It's a pretty well known problem, opening the watch for the first time from the factory. Google it, and you'll find a few different videos. I think one guy used a large flathead screwdriver with the tip covered in electrical tape. The round-end of an old-school can opener seemed to work well too. I ended up using an old American dollar. My buddy used a Swiss Franc he had laying around, after a watch store gave up on it for fear of damaging the watch.

Whatever you end up using, use eletrical tape to protect the body of the case around the cover. You'll probably end up scratching the cover and asking Suunto for a new one, but you don't want the "opener" to slip and scratch the body.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
amplitude wrote: It's a pretty well known problem, opening the watch for the first time from the factory. Google it, and you'll find a few different videos. I think one guy used a large flathead screwdriver with the tip covered in electrical tape. The round-end of an old-school can opener seemed to work well too. I ended up using an old American dollar. My buddy used a Swiss Franc he had laying around, after a watch store gave up on it for fear of damaging the watch.

Whatever you end up using, use eletrical tape to protect the body of the case around the cover. You'll probably end up scratching the cover and asking Suunto for a new one, but you don't want the "opener" to slip and scratch the body.
Taping any tool you're using on a piece you don't want to scratch is common sense enough, thanks. The watch seems to work great, I expected the slightly hard to read negative display. My only complaint is that the case kind of looks cheap. Even though it's metal, it looks more like metallic painted plastic than anything else certainly not a watch I would expect to retail for nearly $500 from appearances alone. The leather strap is very pleatherish, perhaps it is pleather and I misunderstood - otherwise I find the strap looks smart with the total package and is certainly better than an ugly plain plastic one. I also kind of miss the fact that the watch completely lacks any kind of passive lume whatsoever where I believe the "all black" models do have it and it would have added some much needed flair.

All in all, though, this was a freaking great deal so thanks for posting - I had my eye on the all black core for quite a while now but was completely unwilling to spend even what it cost at the lowest discount I've seen yet and apart from the cheapish look of the case I do prefer that it is metal over plastic. I wasn't going to scour the city for it, but I decided late tonight to just drop in at a semi nearby winners while I was out to get some groceries anyway completely expecting them to not have it since that particular winners has got to be one of the worst out there with the crappiest low end products. I probably would have been watching it like a hawk knowing final clearance was on if I still lived next to the winners at king and spadina and they had one there but I only rarely visit winners now since it isn't just a 2 minute walk away and I would have missed this completely if you didn't think to post.

BTW my serial number starts with 208 which my research suggests means it was manufactured 8th week of 2012 so it's pretty darn new for something like this found on deep clearance at winners I'd say. I didn't think to compare serial numbers with the two I had in my hand though but whatever I'm sure this is fine as I recall people only warning about buying cores with serial numbers which would indicate being made years ago.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
7018 posts
1544 upvotes
Mississauga
Newer models are made in China and I've heard quality has gone downhill.
May 29, 2008
748 posts
1290 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Thanks OP... Picked up one at Bayer's Lake, Halifax. I went to 3 other Winners (Portland St, MicMac, and West End) but they were OOS. Halifax RFD's... Bayer's Lake still has one left at that location!
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2012
1036 posts
370 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Been looking for a digital watch with a large time display. These look pretty nice.