• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2013 11:28 am
Tags:
Jul 19, 2004
152 posts
46 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote:
Feb 6th, 2013 9:28 pm
Do you have any tips on how to get it off WITHOUT butchering it after you've gone through it in hindsight?
It's a pretty well known problem, opening the watch for the first time from the factory. Google it, and you'll find a few different videos. I think one guy used a large flathead screwdriver with the tip covered in electrical tape. The round-end of an old-school can opener seemed to work well too. I ended up using an old American dollar. My buddy used a Swiss Franc he had laying around, after a watch store gave up on it for fear of damaging the watch.

Whatever you end up using, use eletrical tape to protect the body of the case around the cover. You'll probably end up scratching the cover and asking Suunto for a new one, but you don't want the "opener" to slip and scratch the body.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
16696 posts
3004 upvotes
Toronto
amplitude wrote:
Feb 6th, 2013 11:16 pm
It's a pretty well known problem, opening the watch for the first time from the factory. Google it, and you'll find a few different videos. I think one guy used a large flathead screwdriver with the tip covered in electrical tape. The round-end of an old-school can opener seemed to work well too. I ended up using an old American dollar. My buddy used a Swiss Franc he had laying around, after a watch store gave up on it for fear of damaging the watch.

Whatever you end up using, use eletrical tape to protect the body of the case around the cover. You'll probably end up scratching the cover and asking Suunto for a new one, but you don't want the "opener" to slip and scratch the body.
Taping any tool you're using on a piece you don't want to scratch is common sense enough, thanks. The watch seems to work great, I expected the slightly hard to read negative display. My only complaint is that the case kind of looks cheap. Even though it's metal, it looks more like metallic painted plastic than anything else certainly not a watch I would expect to retail for nearly $500 from appearances alone. The leather strap is very pleatherish, perhaps it is pleather and I misunderstood - otherwise I find the strap looks smart with the total package and is certainly better than an ugly plain plastic one. I also kind of miss the fact that the watch completely lacks any kind of passive lume whatsoever where I believe the "all black" models do have it and it would have added some much needed flair.

All in all, though, this was a freaking great deal so thanks for posting - I had my eye on the all black core for quite a while now but was completely unwilling to spend even what it cost at the lowest discount I've seen yet and apart from the cheapish look of the case I do prefer that it is metal over plastic. I wasn't going to scour the city for it, but I decided late tonight to just drop in at a semi nearby winners while I was out to get some groceries anyway completely expecting them to not have it since that particular winners has got to be one of the worst out there with the crappiest low end products. I probably would have been watching it like a hawk knowing final clearance was on if I still lived next to the winners at king and spadina and they had one there but I only rarely visit winners now since it isn't just a 2 minute walk away and I would have missed this completely if you didn't think to post.

BTW my serial number starts with 208 which my research suggests means it was manufactured 8th week of 2012 so it's pretty darn new for something like this found on deep clearance at winners I'd say. I didn't think to compare serial numbers with the two I had in my hand though but whatever I'm sure this is fine as I recall people only warning about buying cores with serial numbers which would indicate being made years ago.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
5497 posts
440 upvotes
Mississauga
Newer models are made in China and I've heard quality has gone downhill.
May 29, 2008
141 posts
52 upvotes
Halifax
Thanks OP... Picked up one at Bayer's Lake, Halifax. I went to 3 other Winners (Portland St, MicMac, and West End) but they were OOS. Halifax RFD's... Bayer's Lake still has one left at that location!
Jul 8, 2012
612 posts
42 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Been looking for a digital watch with a large time display. These look pretty nice.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
2261 posts
119 upvotes
Winnipeg
nothing spotted in Winnipeg (PoloPark & Unicity)...i'd love to snag one.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
16696 posts
3004 upvotes
Toronto
Longobongo wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 9:09 am
Newer models are made in China and I've heard quality has gone downhill.
I think all cores have always been made in china, but so is nearly everything in your house that runs on electricity including your very expensive pieces and nobody seems to have an issue with that. I'd wager that the Chinese know how to put these gadgety watches together better than the Finnish do anyway. Besides, we're not talking $500 watches here we're talking $500 watches for $120 bottom line is I'll take it. BTW mine is extremely accurate and does what it's supposed to do not sure what else would have been different if a factory using the same machines churned it out in a different place on earth. Though, there is the "oooh fancy" factor when you buy just about anything that is made anywhere other than asia that is hard to deny.
Nov 28, 2007
17 posts
5 upvotes
Canada
Been looking for a deal on one of these watches for a year now.
Feb 4, 2006
295 posts
51 upvotes
Any in GTA? i checked leaside and there was none there.
Aug 21, 2011
135 posts
19 upvotes
Montreal
Was at Winners in MTL Downtown, and the last one was taken 5min before I got there .... > :(
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
2261 posts
119 upvotes
Winnipeg
doesn't look like there was many, but good for those who grabbed.
Dec 8, 2010
41 posts
48 upvotes
British Columbia
Toured around to almost all the lower mainland/Vancouver stores. None. Did not manage to get out to Surrey though.

Still hoping that I find one.
Oct 10, 2011
3 posts
Toronto
Iv had the Suunto Core for over two years. I love everything about it. I haven't had any issues at all.My battery lasts about a year. At $120 this is an amazing deal, I went to 4 winners in mississauga and they didnt have any. Has anyone been able to find one in mississauga?
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
16696 posts
3004 upvotes
Toronto
The core uses the same batteries as my car remote and all of my PC motherboards, I already have loads of batteries you can get cheap on eBay. I'm not worried about the batteries though it would have been nice if they had solar like the casios.
Apr 27, 2004
969 posts
87 upvotes
OOS in Edmonton. Checked all the stores on saturday :\
× < >