• Oct 2nd, 2017 1:06 am
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 26, 2013
291 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto

Winnipeg Manitoba?

Anyone ever been to or lived in Winnipeg Manitoba? I got a job offer there in the mental health services. I am from toronto. How is it like? The cost of living, the economy, crime rate, things to do for fun
8 replies
Jul 30, 2010
945 posts
106 upvotes
Born and raised, moved to Calgary in 2013 for a better career.

Decent cost of living, but high taxes from 9% pst, high income taxes, shit roads everywhere, stop lights everywhere. Decent commute almost anywhere in the city (45 mins max from say, Regent to Westwood).

Winter is crazy harsh, -50 is pretty common for February. Summer is hot and mosquitos are the provincial bird. August has a decent amount of festivals and other things to do.

People are more genuine than out in Calgary or Toronto I found, and everyone needs to experience the Palomino Club a few times in their life.

Healthcare is absolutely brutal in MB thanks to 14 years if NDP rape.
Oct 27, 2016
54 posts
27 upvotes
....... It's called WINTERpeg for a reason......
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4088 posts
1120 upvotes
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 9:31 pm
Born and raised, moved to Calgary in 2013 for a better career.

Decent cost of living, but high taxes from 9% pst, high income taxes, shit roads everywhere, stop lights everywhere. Decent commute almost anywhere in the city (45 mins max from say, Regent to Westwood).

Winter is crazy harsh, -50 is pretty common for February. Summer is hot and mosquitos are the provincial bird. August has a decent amount of festivals and other things to do.

People are more genuine than out in Calgary or Toronto I found, and everyone needs to experience the Palomino Club a few times in their life.

Sounds like nothing good can come out of the place
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7512 posts
1296 upvotes
Like SK, MB is shit. Been to both (Regina, Winnipeg). I'd like to include AB too in that category but I haven't actually lived in the city so can't really comment but I don't think it's far enough in terms of weather, outdoor activities, ALTOUGH, their tax system is awesome if you are in a high bracket, and you DO have the rockies right next door, so it's definitely a step up from the shitty prairies where all you can enjoy is the dust, wind, extreme temperatures, bugs and the flat farming fields that give you an amazing taste and will fill your house with dust in 2 days that you can actually write on the furniture. I swear I thought my house had a dust manufacturing plant hidden somewhere. Started to spit weird and concerning flegm after a year every morning. Luckily I'm back in BC where I haven't vacuumed in a month yet there is no dust to be found.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27057 posts
1731 upvotes
Winnipeg
Minhoto15 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:00 pm
....... It's called WINTERpeg for a reason......
heh it is certainly not for everyone
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Nov 26, 2013
380 posts
197 upvotes
Winnipeg
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 9:31 pm
If it makes you feel any better, it's exponentially worse from less than 1 year of the Conservative party.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27057 posts
1731 upvotes
Winnipeg
ReaperEXE wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 1:19 pm
If it makes you feel any better, it's exponentially worse from less than 1 year of the Conservative party.
slash n burn baby!
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Jul 30, 2010
945 posts
106 upvotes
ReaperEXE wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 1:19 pm
Somehow I just couldn't imagine it getting worse. 8 hour wait times at the Grace or Misericordia, 2 hour wait times at any walk in clinic and 1 year wait to get an actual family doctor.

What is worse (I am actually curious and my family doesn't seem to share anything about that)?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)