• Feb 20th, 2019 9:20 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
2041 posts
1023 upvotes

Winnipeg in Mid-June

I might be going to a 4-day conference in Winnipeg in mid-June. I've never been to Manitoba so I was thinking of going a few days beforehand (I have flexibility with how long)....just wondering what there's to do and see in the area, how long to spend, etc. I'm also good to rent a car for a few days to explore outside of Winnipeg (within 4 hours or so). Any advice in appreciated
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5909 posts
2636 upvotes
Pack some lead weights in your luggage or arrange to get some in Winnipeg to carry around with you so that the mosquitos don't carry you away...:rolleyes:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6828 posts
3983 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
OMG the mosquitos. Our friends live there and he loads the kids into the van to drive them to the end of their driveway and wait for the school bus so they won't be eaten alive.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7111 posts
3318 upvotes
Kootenays
Ha ha ha. Came here to mention the mosquitoes but it's already covered!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
2041 posts
1023 upvotes
Anyone have non-mosquito related travel advice? I may opt not to go to the conference.
Oct 9, 2006
57 posts
11 upvotes
Winnipeg
Usually no mosquitoes in June - July plenty. Forks, Museum of Human Rights, Lower Fort Garry Assiniboine park and Zoo - if available the Tour of the Legislature by the person that wrote the book is not to be missed - coolest tour by far https://www.frankalbo.com/tours/
Great areas for a drive Lake of the Woods or Riding Mountain National park both around 2.5 hours away but lots to see and do on the way.
Feb 13, 2017
667 posts
115 upvotes
Mosquitoes have been non existent the last 2 years but they can be terrible every now and then. What type of things interest you? If in Winnipeg check out The Forks. If you want some nice walking trails, Birds Hill Park is 30 min NE. Assiniboine Park (plus the Leo Mol Sculpture Garden) is inside Winnipeg. Hecla Island is 2 hours north, but June isn't the best beach weather as water is still cold.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
2041 posts
1023 upvotes
teamocil wrote:
Feb 4th, 2019 9:46 am
Mosquitoes have been non existent the last 2 years but they can be terrible every now and then. What type of things interest you? If in Winnipeg check out The Forks. If you want some nice walking trails, Birds Hill Park is 30 min NE. Assiniboine Park (plus the Leo Mol Sculpture Garden) is inside Winnipeg. Hecla Island is 2 hours north, but June isn't the best beach weather as water is still cold.
I'm open to anything really (hiking, museums, etc.) - preferably to see/do things unique to Winnipeg/Manitoba. I'm just trying to decide if it's worth spending a few extra days before the conference or not and if yes, how much time.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5909 posts
2636 upvotes
doug_999 wrote:
Usually no mosquitoes in June - July plenty. Forks, Museum of Human Rights, Lower Fort Garry Assiniboine park and Zoo - if available the Tour of the Legislature by the person that wrote the book is not to be missed - coolest tour by far https://www.frankalbo.com/tours/
Great areas for a drive Lake of the Woods or Riding Mountain National park both around 2.5 hours away but lots to see and do on the way.
teamocil wrote:
These two messages brought to you by the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce. :lol:
Deal Addict
May 30, 2008
1862 posts
222 upvotes
WIN-A-PIG!
Extending a stay for a day or 2 is plenty of time to do a lot of things in Winnipeg. June usually has the International Jazz Festival with shows throughout the city and free shows in the cube at the exchange district with a bunch of food trucks. There is also the Manitoba Marathon on Father's day if you are a runner.

Winnipeg also has lots of great places to eat. Visiting family and friends always seem to enjoy the restaurant selection here and as others recommend, the Forks is always a good place to visit. Lots to see, good food selection, and nice atmosphere. The Museum of Human Right is right there so you can check that out too.

For outside Winnipeg, it really depends on weather and I'd recommend Grand Beach, Hecla, or Birds Hill Park.
Nov 23, 2015
696 posts
387 upvotes
Winnipeg
Unlikely that there will be mosquitoes in the city in June, I wouldn't worry about that at all. Maybe in the bush if OP goes for a hike, but even then that would be a bit early for mosquito season unless we have a very hot and wet spring. I honestly wonder how many people talking about the mosquitoes have actually been to Winnipeg ;)

For heading out of the city, beaches could be hit or miss because in mid June it could be 15c or it could be 30c. Hiking is a good pick, the trails around West Hawk Lake are pretty nice and easily accessible. You can combine it into a day trip to Kenora, ON for a nice look at the Canadian Shield part of the country. Gimli is a nice town for a day trip too (it's en route to Hecla).

In the city itself, The Forks and the Human Rights Museum are probably the most interesting places to visit. There are other cultural institutions like the Manitoba Museum and the Winnipeg Art Gallery which are worth a visit. The Exchange District and Old St. Boniface are interesting places to walk around in, and there are a lot of restaurants worth trying out.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
2651 posts
977 upvotes
Canada
I live in Winnipeg and there have been no mosquitos herdtge last few years. They've tried a new method of fogging and it's working quite well.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2038 posts
676 upvotes
Winnipeg
No mosquito issue in Winnipeg since last few years. Here is my take on things -

Forks Market - good place to hangout
Human rights museum - didnt like, wouldnt go even if free
Assiniboine & Leo Scupture status - nice to do
Lower Fort Garry - must do. if you like history, you'll love it
Legislature - must do, theres a free tour
Royal Mint - if you never seen a mint before, then check this out
then theres a lot of beaches within 1-2 hours drive. Birds Hill artificial beach is pretty clean and 30-45m from the city depending on where you are
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
2041 posts
1023 upvotes
Thanks all - I don't think I'll use any vacation days to extend my stay ...should be able to see all that stuff outside the conference hours