• Nov 13th, 2016 3:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21233 posts
2345 upvotes
Montreal

Winter or all seasons

Will be driving to Trump country end of November (Pennsylvania). Temps there will hover in low teens or high singles. Thinking of keeping the all seasons in since I don't like the idea of 1500km of hard driving on dry highways with winters.

OTOH I'm cutting through the Adirondacks which can see some cold temps or frost at elevation.

Change my tires or not?
21 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21262 posts
2086 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Nov 13th, 2016 3:23 pm
Will be driving to Trump country end of November (Pennsylvania). Temps there will hover in low teens or high singles. Thinking of keeping the all seasons in since I don't like the idea of 1500km of hard driving on dry highways with winters.

OTOH I'm cutting through the Adirondacks which can see some cold temps or frost at elevation.

Change my tires or not?
Hard driving? Drive nornally and toss winters on.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
26428 posts
12559 upvotes
Ottawa
mr_raider wrote:

Change my tires or not?
Which costs more...winters or all-seasons?
I'd much rather use up my winter than my all-seasons, as they're significantly more expensive.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3079 posts
2204 upvotes
Oakville, ON
mr_raider wrote:

Change my tires or not?
Better safe than sorry. You're still going to stop better on dry pavement and the winters will be better if it rains too.

Also, it's only going to reach those high temperatures you noted between maybe 10:00 am and 4:00 pm. Any driving you do earlier in the morning or into the late afternoon/evening will be in much colder temperatures. They'll be dropping to lows around 0 Celsius and lower overnight.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
10511 posts
2144 upvotes
Montréal
bembol wrote:
Nov 13th, 2016 5:21 pm
My take. This is long trip weather changes.

Stop worrying about the TREAD LIFE.

Old saying better be safe than sorry.
+1 Such craziness, what is this freaking out over tread life? FACT: tires *will* wear. Just use the appropriate ones. They aren't made out of diamonds.

What's more important, tire life or life?
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
2108 posts
1176 upvotes
Toronto
How much is your life worth to you?

Put on your winters and be done with it. This way you'll know you and the other drivers around you will be safe.

Just hope the others have their winters on if or when bad weather hits.
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21233 posts
2345 upvotes
Montreal
Kasakato wrote:
Hard driving? Drive nornally and toss winters on.
Dry pavement with semi warm temps will kill tread on winters.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21262 posts
2086 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Nov 13th, 2016 4:47 pm
Dry pavement with semi warm temps will kill tread on winters.
Unless Trump has turned the roads into cheese grates, 1500 km will not make much of a difference. Just don't drive hard.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
22980 posts
7992 upvotes
Toronto
as long you have plan C .. that is, in case of a bad snow storm, you can always find a hotel and park it (for a day or so) or until the condition improves.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17416 posts
1610 upvotes
Woodbridge
My take. This is long trip weather changes.

Stop worrying about the TREAD LIFE.

Old saying better be safe than sorry.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
2797 posts
454 upvotes
Water loo
My guess is you would be fine with all seasons given the time of year and global warming. Good chance of a random snow storm, if the roads get slammed leave time for a hotel stay.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4180 posts
1200 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
We've driven double that distance down south and minimal treadwear. Was on new winters and still had the little rubber hairs after the road trip.

Yes, temps were above 20C on some days down south but the snow/ice on upstate NY convinced us that it was right thing to do.
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
263 upvotes
Toronto
I have driven and I bet we all have driven with all seasons in the winter without issue.
What is the estimate of the extra wear on the winters? I doubt it is much more than 3 times which isn't that much.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3859 posts
775 upvotes
Your life or tread life. I drove to Florida once in December with snow tires. Was there with temp over 20C at the time. Came back with snow storm in Niagara and home in one piece. Tires still ran for another season or two I believe after that. Just don't want to regret if something did happened.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8